inTank Media Baskets

An yone seen these?

The Propagator

I am thinking about starting a Mantis tank, seems like a decent light.

Just curious to anyone who has one,

Ive heard that the Odessa/Jebo can catch fire because of quality issues.

Just curious how these units are, as I do not want to have a fire in my house.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the problems reported with the Odyssea fixtures were from the older versions with bad bulbs and even worse ballasts. The newer versions have better electronic ballast. The bulbs aren't the best, but they work.

Many people here have used them with success. A friend of mine has been running one for the last few months and he really likes it (except the color temp of the bulbs, its not 15K as claimed)

BKtomodachi
I am thinking about starting a Mantis tank, seems like a decent light.

Just curious to anyone who has one,

Ive heard that the Odessa/Jebo can catch fire because of quality issues.

Just curious how these units are, as I do not want to have a fire in my house.

Welcome to nano-reef!

I would also not want a fire in my house.

CurrentUSA makes some items that could also fit the bill, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Current-USA-Nova-Extre...7QQcmdZViewItem

My tank is 16" deep, and from reading this thread, I assume these lights will work well for me due to the fact that there's not a lot of depth, correct? I plan to keep softies, leathers, zoas, shrooms, and maybe some LPS. Would this be sufficient? What about for a rose bubble tip anenome a few months down the road? I was thinking about the 4-lamp 36" fixture...

BKtomodachi

Yes, the bulbs from Current are just fine, and you'd be able to have quite a selection. Maybe not SPS with great growth, but just about anything else should be fine.

Are the CurrentUSA 2 bulb fixtures more or less usefull than the 4 bulb fixture from FishNeedIt? I'd like to have something cheap, which both of these are, and to start out, I don't think I'll need the best bulbs out there since I'm just going to be cycling for a month or so...

I wish I knew more about this stuff, and I wouldn't have to keep asking question after question, but that's the only way to learn. Thanks all

BKtomodachi

Hmm well that is really up to you. I would go for the current, because with the fishneedit stuff, you'll be replacing 2x as many bulbs every time. Also, who knows about the quality of their ballasts, etc.

• 2 months later...
Ok so I got my light

http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-24quot-2-lamp-aquarium-l.html

Not a bad deal for $40

It is all plastic and it does only have 1 reflector.

Here are some light comparisons for you:

So what's the consensus on this puppy?

Is it a decent " economical choice " for a first lamp - If so - I'll get it for my first tank. I'm looking at lighting options as the next step.

Also - is this a new product - or is there any track record on the lamp - Does it have any fans on the fixture?

Thanks

So what's the consensus on this puppy?

Is it a decent " economical choice " for a first lamp - If so - I'll get it for my first tank. I'm looking at lighting options as the next step.

Also - is this a new product - or is there any track record on the lamp - Does it have any fans on the fixture?

Thanks

I have 2 of them over my 10g and I have good growth and color.

best $80 i have spent on the tank so far

2591821852_d5ecc672da.jpg?v=0

The Propagator

But its not all plastic though right?

Its all anodized aluminum, with one reflector but bends between each bulb to simulate a parabolic reflector?

chickendude10
But its not all plastic though right?

Its all anodized aluminum, with one reflector but bends between each bulb to simulate a parabolic reflector?

I have the 4x24 one.

Most of the hood is thin aluminum. But everything else is plastic, even the reflector. It isn't even bent between the bulbs. Just one flat piece of shiny plastic. But it does seem to perform well, especially with the price tag. I am planning on doing the mod that cdelicath did to simulate separate reflectors.

The Propagator

I think your mistaking a thin polished aluminum reflector for plastic brother. I think plastic would melt.

Have you actually touched it or anything?

I am glad you told me about the single flat reflector though.

Thats turns me off from them now. I was under the impression from talks with the seller that they had bends in between each bulbs but was once piece.

Whats the mod that was performed to simulate individual reflectors?

• 1 year later...

just gonna dig this thread up instead of starting a new one...

So it looks like they made some upgrades to the lights since this thread was written.

such as better ballasts and individual reflectors.

anyone own the new version of these t5 lights? they look good.

bzphotog

Archived