Top Shelf Aquatics

An yone seen these?

The Propagator

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the fixture have individual reflectors for the bulbs? When it comes to T5 HO, it's all about the individual reflectors, otherwise they're no better than PCs.

From the rather small pics, it doesn't seem like it has individual reflectors. Also, for that price, I wouldn't expect anything worth mentioning from that fixture.

Stock bulbs are most likely crap, and probably a cheapo ballast.

I say this just by what I can see, of course, never had one in my hands :P

The Propagator

I think if the ballasts are good, and the end caps are good I would still be ahead buying one of those and retro fitting individual reflectors my self versus the cost of most 4 bulb fixtures that size. I think it would be worth it.

Good T-5 bulbs are cheap as well.

I think I am gonna buy one and see.

I think if the ballasts are good, and the end caps are good I would still be ahead buying one of those and retro fitting individual reflectors my self versus the cost of most 4 bulb fixtures that size. I think it would be worth it.

Good T-5 bulbs are cheap as well.

I think I am gonna buy one and see.

I have been watching this thread with interest. I was thinking of retrofitting the guts of the light into a hood with ind. reflectors as well. So are you going to be the guinea pig :flower:

HecticDialectics

The fixture isn't wide enough for individual reflectors. I think the icecaps are either 2.25 or 2.5". The tek 2's are like 3".

If you're just going to retrofit the guts into a hood, it'd probably be easier just to buy everything from diyreef.com (with a workhorse 5 or 7 ballast). Or just buy a retro from www.reefgeek.com. You'd also have to buy the bulbs, and by the time you're done, it'd be around $180+, but you know you're getting good bulbs and a halfway decent ballast with it.

These look like the same manufacturer that Cadlights used for their T HO offerings. No individual reflectors and pretty generic bulbs. The bulbs are garbage, only about half the lumens compared to similar Geisman bulbs. I bought a 24” (2-bulb) fixture just to check it out and build quality is pretty low (cheap).

I used to have similar looking T5HO like those and I got 2 fixtures. Imho, don't get it!

There won't be enough space for individual reflectors, trust me on that. It is difficult to mount the bulbs in, unless you got dandy lady fingers.

I don't think the setup comes with a ballast... I mean a real big ballast. And check out the switches if they are controlling individual bulbs. Yup, and I think the bulbs are crap and won't last you more than 3 months before yellowing out.

The Propagator

Every thing comes with a 6 month exchange/money back warranty with these.

I still think I can make it work. Mainly cause I will be using it on a very shallow tank with only softies under it.

I am gonna only buy one though instead of the two.

I'll let you guys know in about a month...

I just ordered 2 of the 24" fixtures for my 26 bowfront. I figured for $77 shipped, how could I go wrong? I figured I'd change out the actinic bulbs with super actinics. My main reason for getting 2 is so that I can do the dusk/dawn setup with times, since each fixture only has 1 power cord & the 4 bulb unit has only 1 power cord.

Right now I have a Coralife 2x65W pc lunar fixture on there.

Actually I been shopping for a T5 hood and saw this post, I sent an email to the seller and found out that it doesn't come with an individual reflector. Yeah its a good price but I doubt it would be as useful as what it is intended to be.

I've been looking at these myself. Would 96w t5 be better than 130w pc? Without the individual reflector I doubt it. Thats why I'm on the fence about it.

I bought a PC fixture from this seller. Shipped quick and fast. Mine is a 2x96-36" 12k white and 10k actinic. It's been working well for more than 2 months. I decided to get the PC because I figured 192 watts of PC would be better than 96 watts of T5 without individual reflectors. Only cost me $76 delivered. I didn't plan on any hard corals for this tank. I don't see these listed for sale on his website. I bought it off ebay. Here's a link where I posted some pics.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=145102&hl=

I bought a PC fixture from this seller. Shipped quick and fast. Mine is a 2x96-36" 12k white and 10k actinic. It's been working well for more than 2 months. I decided to get the PC because I figured 192 watts of PC would be better than 96 watts of T5 without individual reflectors. Only cost me $76 delivered. I didn't plan on any hard corals for this tank. I don't see these listed for sale on his website. I bought it off ebay. Here's a link where I posted some pics.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=145102&hl=

So would you buy the 96w t5 from them? Over the 130w pc? I need to buy a light and soon.

What is the difference between a good and horrible MH fixture? The reflector.

Same holds true for T5. You might as well get a PC fixture if you can't get parabolic reflectors per bulb.

That comment string dictates my opinion of this fixture. It it is a flat back reflector it is a waste IMO. If parabolic like reflectors per bulb like Tek lights or Icecap retros etc, then it is worth it.

So would you buy the 96w t5 from them? Over the 130w pc? I need to buy a light and soon.

No, I think your 130w pc is as good or better than this particular T5. T5's are only better if you have the reflectors to create more light. IMO a 96w T5 without individual reflectors would be less light value than a 130w PC. That's why I bought the 196w PC instead of the 96 T5, Twice the light for less money. If they still had the light I bought for sale that would be a slight improvement over your 130w PC but I didn't see it on their website. Please use my opinion lightly because I'm still kinda noob at this. :huh:

Has anyone put individual reflectors over PC bulbs?

Same holds true for T5. You might as well get a PC fixture if you can't get parabolic reflectors per bulb.

That comment string dictates my opinion of this fixture. It it is a flat back reflector it is a waste IMO. If parabolic like reflectors per bulb like Tek lights or Icecap retros etc, then it is worth it.

I'm a newbie but I totaly disagree, I had 130 watts of PC bulbs over my tank and I replaced with 96 watts of HOT5's without indevual reflectors and I have seen MASSIVE growth and health to my corals

I'm sure it is similar to the flat reflector in the PC I bought from them.

I'm a newbie but I totaly disagree, I had 130 watts of PC bulbs over my tank and I replaced with 96 watts of HOT5's without indevual reflectors and I have seen MASSIVE growth and health to my corals

Cool, what fixture did you get?

Is it the one in question on this thread?

No it's a nova Extreme but my point is still the same

Yes but thats a reputable company. This bunch looks a little shady. Thats why I havent' sent them the money yet.

No it's a nova Extreme but my point is still the same

What tank and corals do you have this light on? When you made the change did the t5's seem brighter? How about color difference? Sorry for all the questions but that's how we learn.

Yes but thats a reputable company. This bunch looks a little shady. Thats why I havent' sent them the money yet.

I don't think they’re being "shady". They're just selling cheap stuff on the net. Their feedback on ebay, although only 196, is 100%, which is rare these days. My order came in 4-days double boxed and packed in bubble wrap. I've experienced worse from so-called reputable sellers

Archived