Coral Vue Hydros

Reef rubble zone biotope?

Nick's Reef

So over the past few days i've been thinking, wouldn't it be cool to recreate my yasha gobie snatural habitat? So i've started planning my next tank. I'm deffinantly not set this up in the next year but why not gather info and save some $$$$.

My plan would be:

aga 20l

250w mh with acntics

fuge with giant skimmer

3-4 dsb with pieces of broken lr scattered about under sand for gobies to build burrow

small patches of lr

So please help me find out what corals are found in the gobies natural surroundings. Keep in mind the frequent depths of 60-110ft, but have been found as shallow as 35ft.

Edit: spelling

So over the past few days i've been thinking, wouldn't it be cool to recreate my yasha gobie snatural habitat? So i've started planning my next tank. I'm deffinantly not set this up in the next year but why not gather info and save some $$$$.

My plan would be:

aga 20l

250w mh with acntics

fuge with giant skimmer

3-4 dsb with pieces of broken lr scattered about under sand for gobies to build burrow

small patches of lr

So please help me find out what corals are found in the gobies natural surroundings. Keep in mind the frequent depths of 60-110ft, but have been found as shallow as 35ft.

Edit: spelling

I like the idea (of course - since my biotope is reef rubble/lagoon) :)

If you check out the links in my biotope thread (mainly my first few posts, but search through, there's a lot): http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142920

you'll find a ton of info and pics of the reef rubble zone in Singapore, especially in the blogs. If I remember correctly, your goby species doesn't inhabit Singapore's reefs, but the species you find in there are fairly common species for every area. You should be able to find similar blogs and links for the areas your goby inhabits.

Thanks for the link, gave me a basic idea. Your right about the gobies, they are found off the southern tip of Japan. So zoos, shrooms, acros and other sps, plates and brains. Well I know that Japaneese acan lords and micros are found in lagoon/rubble zones and zoos and acros are found mostly every were so thats a start. :D

Ok so a light bulb just went off in my head, I could have three main rock piles. The center one could be dominated by acros and other sps and the one to the left would me acans/micros. Finally, the one on the right could have some really nice zoos.

Well I've got my general plan, her it is:

20gal. long aga

250w HQI Retro

custom stand and hood(i'll make it)

2x Korila 1's

3-4in. dsb w/rock rubble

20-25lbs. lr arranged in 3 "rubble piles"

Livestock:

Fish-

Pair of yasha hashe gobies

Inverts/Cuc-

1xCandy stripe pistol shrimp

5xastrea snails

12xnassasarius snails

30xcerith snails

Corals-

acorpora

montipora

Pollicipora

Zoanthids

Acanthestrea Lordwowensis

Micromussa

The large number of nassasarius and cerith snails are to keep the dsb nice and clean!

I like it!

The MH system you've mentioned worries me a bit, hopefully you've read reviews and fixes for them?

no I haven't it worries me too I'll try to find a different one, someone one here gave me a link for one for my ap24 and is was cheap looking.

• 1 month later...

this looks like it could turn out to be an interesting tank. I'd like to see pictures of where they catch Yasha.

Nick's Reef

Well i've been looking for this thread for a while. It looks like I found it. I have made a coulpe changes to my plan i think that with only the two Yasha Hashes to feed I could go with just lr and ls for filtration if i did a 5gal. water change once a week and I wouldn't have any pom-pom crabs because the pistol would eat them beacause he's already taken out all my hermits in my ap24. I also think this may happen sooner as I don't need $$$ for a skimmer, fuge, etc. I really only need to buy some lr. and a light which i should have money for after christmas and i'd probably sell most of the stuff in my ap24.

Nick's Reef

Well i just looked a t how much a sunpod is and it's almost $400! I found a retro for $240 so i'd get that and make a hood. I may even get pcs for acintics.

Nick's Reef

Ok so i think this is my FINAL plan:

Equipment:

30gal. long aga

Custom stand and hood

150w hqi and t5 retro

2x Korilia 1's

Filtration:

25-40lbs lr.

40lbs. ls

Fish:

Pair of Yasha Hashes

Cuc:

Randall's Pistol

30xCeriths

15xNassisarius

7xAstreas

I'm going to start saving my $$$ for this and se if my dad will let me start getting equipment. He probably wont beacause :

1-Doesn't want all the crap in my room

2-I don't have the $$$ to get everything at one time

3-He'll have to help me get the stand and hood built

4-There is no way he's going to drive me around town to all the pet shops and lfss to get the stuff

But I have a solution for the $$$ I will probably sell my ap24 and all the livestock except zoos, acan lords, and of course the gobies and shrimp. Plus I'll use all of the sand in my exsisting tank to est. the dsb quicker and i'll kepp all but about 8lbs. of lr.

Nick's Reef

What does everyone think, my dad found out what I want to do and said "It's fine by me but it's coming out of your money." I calculated the cost and it's $600 for the whole shebang give or take $50. I'd probably use half dead and half live rock due to cost.

What does everyone think, my dad found out what I want to do and said "It's fine by me but it's coming out of your money." I calculated the cost and it's $600 for the whole shebang give or take $50. I'd probably use half dead and half live rock due to cost.

check craigslist for rock. people always want to get rid of it for like 2 bucks a lb

Nick's Reef
check craigslist for rock. people always want to get rid of it for like 2 bucks a lb

Thanks, I'll look there.

That's a lot of snails - but then I don't have any, so what do I know?

It's because i'll have a dsb for the gobies and shrimp to burrow and need lots of sand sifters. :D

I like the new plan. I think it'll work well, and you can always upgrade later if/when you feel that need and have the funding.

Does seem like a lot of snails, but I dunno either. Mine always get eaten.

Nick's Reef
I like the new plan. I think it'll work well, and you can always upgrade later if/when you feel that need and have the funding.

Thats what I like about it, if I need to I can get a fuge and skimmer down the road. :D

Nick's Reef
Honestly, I would do half the cerith and nass. snails to start and go from there. Nass will get big in your tank.

Thanks, that's what I'll probably do because I alraedy have about 10 nass so that will save me $20 and I will just go collect my own ceriths. Yes I know us Floridians suck don't we! :D

Nick's Reef

Well i looked on craigslist and no one has any rock for sale, i also looked in all the local classifieds to see if anyone had a tank for sale. no luck with that either.

Well i looked on craigslist and no one has any rock for sale, i also looked in all the local classifieds to see if anyone had a tank for sale. no luck with that either.

that would be an odd day around here. Maybe once a month there isn't a LR sale thread in the local forums?

ah well, patience is a virtue ;)

Nick's Reef
that would be an odd day around here. Maybe once a month there isn't a LR sale thread in the local forums?

ah well, patience is a virtue ;)

i'll have to see if the local aquarium club is selling any rock. :D

Nick's Reef
i'll have to see if the local aquarium club is selling any rock. :D

No luck there either, there was 100lbs for FREE but that was taken 5months ago. :angry:

Archived