Cultivated Reef

Clams and Open Brains in a Nano

ch0ch

I was wondering what kind clams and brains would i be able to put in a 7gal nano with a 5.5 gal refugium? im guessing they would have to be small and hardy... any suggestionstions?

chvynva916

Brains are good, they are pretty hardy. Trachs, Wells, and Lobos should all be fine. Clams depend on how much and what kind of light you have. There are plenty of threads on NR to search for about clams in a nano. Generally, though not always, the nicer clams need more intense MH light then I bet is on your nano (just guessing).

Metal Halide for the croceas and maximas, PC's are good if you wanna keep a squamosa. They are cool in their own right.

Here's a pic of my squammy:

squammy1.jpg

thanx alot jdsabin!... thats a beautiful clam there ... i think ill go with a squamosa im planning on getting pc's anyway

Lunchbucket

what MH you get? mh's will be needed or SHOULD be used IMO (and many others) for max and croceas. they don't get as big either!!

Lunchbucket

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ahh..clams..woohoo. The one everyone always forgets is the "redheaded bastard stepchild" of the Tridacnid family, Hippopus hippopus. They're great little clams..not as colourful as some..but much less demanding as well. I've got a little Hippopus in my 29..and he's great..always filtering. Also got a Derasa (which I know will outgrow the tank..but they're just too beautiful to pass up) and a Maxima...but the Hippopus has its own little charm. Just thought I'd add that...

Cheers..

You know it's yours Barry. Soon (as in a few days soon) I will be posting more pics of my new maxima and crocea from you also.

HEEELLLOOOO Clams Direct Clams! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived