Top Shelf Aquatics

miniclam for a minibow

penguin87

I think it would be cool to have a clam in my minibow 7. but i think that a full-grown 12in. clam would be a little big. so! i am asking how many species of dwarf clams are there available to the hobby along with the crocea clam, along with their lighting requirements.

it will be placed directly under a 32w csl pc light, becuase gil & liza have apparently successfully kept a squamosa clam under this light. would dwarf clams survive (not necessarily thrive, but be happy) under this much light? or is everyone on this forum obsessed with metal halides (which is fine, but i don't want to pay that much money just for a clam or sps coral.)

thanks for your advanced help.

Are you talking about 'baby' clams? I haven't heard much about 'dwarf' clam species I guess. If you have at least 32 watts in your tank then a baby squamosa would be fine.

You're SOL on the crocea or maxima unless you SERIOUSLY crank up the light, and preferably MH's period.

HTH!

Lunchbucket

you talking about maximas and croceas?? they get about 6" or so...the would be small enough but i would NOT recommend them in that lighting. they require WAY more light than dersas or squamies

Lunchbucket

I met the guy from East Coast Clams at a frag swap. He is a great guy and was more than willing to evaluate individual setups and offer solid advice. Im sure he can get you on track.

• 4 weeks later...

remember that smaller "baby" clams require feeding: phytoplankton, and normally outside of the main tank in a seperate bowl to allow them to feed heavily and then return them to the tank: that way your water params doin't get completely screwed up from the additional nutrients

Agreed: Crak: and like I mentioned in another thread: the croceas are the smallest and slowest growing clams in the tridacnid family, so you can get a larger one with little worry of it outgrowing your tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Rklutts:

I would still stick with a derasa (though it will outgrow your tank). You might be okay with a larger max if you feed and place within inches of your lights. Water quality and an established tank are key.

Archived