Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BibleSue's 10g Kitchen Oasis

Weetabix7

IMG_0422.jpg

We're hoping to try our hand at Acan fragging tonight.

Well that was interesting.

We just fragged the Acan pictured above on the left and ended up with 4 frags.

It's something we've never done before, but we took pics while we did it, and I will post those shortly.

It was fairly easy, but lots of slime, kinda like you get with mushrooms that are pissed.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the tools we used. A dremel with diamond cut-off wheel, a salt-encrusted flat head screwdriver, and an Xacto knife. One tool we used that isn't pictured is a pair of bone-cutters.

IMG_0501.jpg

I just took the dremel and sliced right into the tip, not worrying about where the individual mouths or anything were.

When the dremel had cut most of the way through, I stuck the screwdriver into the chasm I had just cut and just knocked it the rest of the way through.

IMG_0505.jpg

At this point all of the skeleton had been detached from the main piece but there was still some flesh holding on, so I used the Xacto knife to slice through the remaining attached flesh.

The fragged piece was immediately placed in a SW iodine dip for approx. 3 mins, as pictured below:

IMG_0498.jpg

After it was removed from the dip, it was immediately superglued to a frag plug and placed in a container with tankwater for the superglue to cure.

IMG_0499.jpg

We ended up with a total of four frags. I apologize for the reflective areas on the two frags at the top of this picture, that's actually from the flash reflecting off of the white cross-section of the interior of the skeleton.

IMG_0509.jpg

There was a great deal of sliming as a defense mechanism from the coral, and the frags were swished around fairly vigorously to remove as much slime as possible before being placed in a high flow area of the prop tank.

I just checked on the Acans we fragged last night and they look AWESOME!!!

They look like they never got fragged, all puffed up and happy!!

I'm blown away that they recover so quickly and so well.

I'll have to see if I can get some pics later today.

lilredneckman

Sounds good Weetie! Cant wait to see the pics.

I may be fragging my acan sooner or later because i have a buddy that wants a frag.

What is THIS??!!!

Snow in April????

This is the view out of BibleSue's front living room window today.

IMG_0416.jpg

I feel better now. . .:D Very pretty view!

Wow, congrats--great job!

Great pics and tutorial!

+ 1 !

--Diane

I'm glad the fragging went well for you...Acan's are pretty easy and as you've seen they bounce back very quickly. I'm sure you'll want to do it again sometime soon.

Here's a pic of one of my favorite parts of BibleSue's property, a beautiful grouping of Pine Trees in the front yard. I call it "The Park".

IMG_0535.jpg

A closeup of Spring's bounty from the front yard:

IMG_0527.jpg

Here's a Family Photo, with BibleSue and her husband in the back, and my 2 little stinkers in the front:

IMG_0523.jpg

BKtomodachi

Your property looks like a dream! I would love a sprawling tennessee lawn someday. :)

Oh yeah, the tank looks great too. :happy:

We love visiting at her place, I always think of it as a little "mini-vacation"!

I'm hoping we get to visit more frequently over the spring and summer.

I hope you guys don't get tired of seeing me post pics of it!!!

Thanks for the compliments on our place. We feel so blessed! We have 9 acres with a 1 acre stocked pond & hubby has a 3,000 sq. ft. workshop with an open ended shed attached to 1 side & a pole barn on the other. About 4,000 sq. ft. in all.

Here is a shot of Mvite's brain that I recently added to my kitchen tank.

DSCF4335.jpg

Mvite's brain?!?! :P

What kind of brain is that? It's not just a regular open brain. Is it really that bluish purple color in RL?

Mvite's brain?!?! :P

What kind of brain is that? It's not just a regular open brain. Is it really that bluish purple color in RL?

I need to find out from Mvite what it is called. It was the last brain he had. :lol: The middle is a dark bluish purple & the outer part is shades of light to dark green velvet with the purple undertones. I love it! Here is another shot.

DSCF4361.jpg

Thanks for the compliments on our place. We feel so blessed! We have 9 acres with a 1 acre stocked pond & hubby has a 3,000 sq. ft. workshop with an open ended shed attached to 1 side & a pole barn on the other. About 4,000 sq. ft. in all.

How wonderful! You two must be very happy. :)

Dang, OL beat me to the obvious joke...

Sweet brain. (Lobophyllia?)

--Diane

IMG_0523.jpg

It looks like BS is giving Mr. BS a goose?

It is a lobophyllia---and it looks better than it ever did at my place, Susan--bravo! It looks fantastic! I never had the feeders out in full force like you pictured!

• 1 month later...

Here are some new things I added from my prop tank.

Daisy Polyps

DSCF5351.jpg

Star Polyps with white dot in the center

DSCF5352.jpg

Aqua Marine Palys

DSCF5356.jpg

Green center Candy Canes

DSCF5357.jpg

Ric I got at the frag swap

DSCF5350.jpg

The mushroom I got from Weetie almost a year ago, finally had a baby. :P

DSCF5354.jpg

• 4 months later...
wow! you have a very healthy goni! nice sue

Thanks! It's getting big enough that I will need to find it a roomier spot before long.

Close up.

DSCF6700.jpg

Opposite side of the same rock group.DSCF6697.jpg

Archived