Cultivated Reef

H20's Pico Reef (pics)

H20

Tank looks awesome H20, i almost ordered the tom deco kit 3g today but i was a little hesitant. Is there any technical problems or anything that needs to be changed?

Also i see that there are daylights and actinics. Are there moonlights or when the lights go off all lights are off?

I was wondering if that was the whole kit with everything included from big al's. They dont give a very good description on their website.

That should be the whole kit. Most of them are somewhere around that price for the whole deal.

I have found no techincal problems and everything about the tank it great. But either the lights are on, or off, all together. You could buy one of those little LED blue clip-on moonlights. I bet it would be nice on this tank. The daylights and actinics look just right together to make it look good.

tank is looking nice. how often do you do water changes now? do you find it hard to keep the params good?

ADAM

I am pretty much changing once a week about 1 or 1 1/2 gallon, with the some of the water that I make up for my 24g tank. The only parameters that have been bugging me a little is the salinity. I am not used to having to topoff at all, as my 24g is a closed top, and I almost never have to top it off. I leave the lid on my Deco kit, so that helps, but you still have to add some freshwater every couple of days. But it is easily managable.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow H20! Geeze i am really wanting one of these now! I really LOVE that acan!! May i ask where and how much it was?

It was Rasberry Ice Acan Lord frag that I got from LiveAquaria on Divers Den section. I can't remember what it cost as it was awhile back when I bought it.

new pics??!?!?!?!

Bad news on the Pico front. I am taking it down, as I am starting a 75g tank, and the Pico is more work that I want right now, as the salinity changes too much with the small volume of water in it, and I do not want to test it daily, and worry about topping it off all the time. I am going to put my time and effort into my new 75g.

Anyone want to buy a used Pico? :lol:

H20,

Sad day....as you are really GOOD at this.. i was loving watching the progress of the pico.

I'm sure that the 75 will be amazing too.

Mercuryne

constantocean

is it the actual jbj pico? as in the glass one. and not the POS tom deco.

if it is, will you sell just the tank (dont need the lights or filter) and how much do you want for it shipped to 07059.

TheChosenReefer

Sad day indeed. I have been thinking of selling mine too. Not because it is hard to take care of I am just not enjoying it. I put so much money into it and really don't get much out. I am planing on starting a 30 to 55 Sw soon. But sad day I loved your tank.

Sad day indeed. I have been thinking of selling mine too. Not because it is hard to take care of I am just not enjoying it. I put so much money into it and really don't get much out. I am planing on starting a 30 to 55 Sw soon. But sad day I loved your tank.

Funny think about that. I kinda felt the same way. I thought that the tank sitting right on my desk would be awesome. I was going to put snails and crabs and shrimp into it, and I thought it would be brimming with action to watch. But for some reason, when I put crabs in there, they all went and hid, or got in the corners and burrowed into the sand a bit and never moved. they would sit in the same spot for days. In my 24g, the hermits are running all over the place. I cannot figure out why the difference. The water is the same water in both tanks, so it is not water parameters. Confusing... At any rate, it is not the tank of joy I thought it would be, but it is cool looking. But I am going to work on the 75. I have been taking pics and will start a new thread on it soon.

is it the actual jbj pico? as in the glass one. and not the POS tom deco.

if it is, will you sell just the tank (dont need the lights or filter) and how much do you want for it shipped to 07059.

This is the Tom Deco 3. I do not consider it to be junk, as I thought it was pretty well made. It has a nice filter on it, good lighting, and a solid tank. :D

constantocean
Funny think about that. I kinda felt the same way. I thought that the tank sitting right on my desk would be awesome. I was going to put snails and crabs and shrimp into it, and I thought it would be brimming with action to watch. But for some reason, when I put crabs in there, they all went and hid, or got in the corners and burrowed into the sand a bit and never moved. they would sit in the same spot for days. In my 24g, the hermits are running all over the place. I cannot figure out why the difference. The water is the same water in both tanks, so it is not water parameters. Confusing... At any rate, it is not the tank of joy I thought it would be, but it is cool looking. But I am going to work on the 75. I have been taking pics and will start a new thread on it soon.

This is the Tom Deco 3. I do not consider it to be junk, as I thought it was pretty well made. It has a nice filter on it, good lighting, and a solid tank. :D

I have the deco 3. I hate it haha. I'm planning on replacing it soon with either the jalli 4 gallon or the adana mini tank.

TheChosenReefer

I like it is is just my fish swims. Snails craw. corals just sit lol. shrimp hides tell night when I turn off light. Blue leg hermit i never know were he is. I love it just because of the money I have put in it lo. It is neat though. I think for now though I am going back to the world of fresh until I get my biocube. sorry H20 fo asking a question. But I have put over 200 into my little tank. is 120 a good price. It seems good. But no one wants to buy it off of craigslist.

I like it is is just my fish swims. Snails craw. corals just sit lol. shrimp hides tell night when I turn off light. Blue leg hermit i never know were he is. I love it just because of the money I have put in it lo. It is neat though. I think for now though I am going back to the world of fresh until I get my biocube. sorry H20 fo asking a question. But I have put over 200 into my little tank. is 120 a good price. It seems good. But no one wants to buy it off of craigslist.

I am really not sure what you could get for it. I would keep trying Craigslist, and you could also try Ebay. A box to ship that stuff in would not have to be that big, as the tank is pretty small anyways. Seems that the resell value of stuff always takes a dive when it makes it to Ebay. You might have to lower your price, that sux, I know, but if you want to get rid of it, you may have to. Give it a little while longer at that price and see.

TheChosenReefer

ya i just lowered price to 100 to 90. Tomorrow going to get 50g tomorrow. For planted tank. Ya I have tried craigslist. some people have emailed me about it. So hopefully I sell.

LaceySaysMeow

Wow. Your tank was really nice, it's a shame you're taking it down.

But, if you were serious about selling it, I'm interested. were you thinking of selling just the tank or all the rock/sand/corals?

But for some reason, when I put crabs in there, they all went and hid, or got in the corners and burrowed into the sand a bit and never moved. they would sit in the same spot for days. In my 24g, the hermits are running all over the place. I cannot figure out why the difference. The water is the same water in both tanks, so it is not water parameters. Confusing...

Ok, I thought I was imagining things. I have the exact same problem in my Tom Deco 3. I have tried red leg hermits from my old tank and brand new blue leg hermits. They do nothing. They sit in one spot and sulk. I move them into the old tank and they're suddenly bundles of energy. Do other people with these tanks have the same issues? I'm really curious now. I've checked all my params and can't find anything out of whack.

Rich;)

TheChosenReefer
Ok, I thought I was imagining things. I have the exact same problem in my Tom Deco 3. I have tried red leg hermits from my old tank and brand new blue leg hermits. They do nothing. They sit in one spot and sulk. I move them into the old tank and they're suddenly bundles of energy. Do other people with these tanks have the same issues? I'm really curious now. I've checked all my params and can't find anything out of whack.

Same here. The most exciting thing in my tank is the snails. Same water parms are good. Tryign to sell it

Are you guys feeding your tanks? I noticed that with my tank I didn't see much movement until I put a little food in the tank, then everything went crazy. So maybe it is a lack of food in your pico's that is different from larger tanks. I know that feeding can cause other problems, but it is a thought that you might want to try if you keep up with water changes.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just got here and hate to see all that good work go.

I just got a deco and have been working on a 24gallon AquaPod.You gave me a lot of ideas to try and i will put them to good use!

Stay tuned !!

I will start my own string tell ma what you think??

I would greatly appreciate your input!

post-34992-1204506853_thumb.jpg

Archived