Top Shelf Aquatics

H20's Pico Reef (pics)

H20

Great pico h2o. thinking of adding any gobies or anything?

Not sure at this point, but I have thought of the two that Nygel mentioned. The Panda clown goby and the pom pom crab. Both are hard to see in larger tanks, but might be just right to keep up with and view in this small one. Maybe even a anemone shrimp or a mini nano starfish. I would like to try a couple of unusual things, that would be easily viewable in this small tank, that would hide out too much in a larger tank like my 24g.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats exactly what I've been thinking about. Their are so many really fun tiny inverts that would get lost in even a 10g. I thought about a harlequin pair, because those are THEE coolest looking shrimp ever. Although that died doesn't seem too easy to satisfy. But yeah, I see their being no harm in a clown goby in a pico, if there is, then it'll move two feet into the 29g. I'm thinking of something like a long tentacle plate coral or maybe even a tiny torch or hammer and getting some anenome shrimp as well. I just wish I had some money :(

this is more of an observation than a question... but a question will come out of it...

i notice that the filter intake seems too long, and it looks like it sucked up some of the sand... would that pose a problem of any sort? it seems to be a good idea that the filter sucks up water from the bottom, allowing more undesired debris to be collected... but at the same time, i would think that the sand being sucked up will mess up the impeller... maybe some would get caught and lock the thing up...

this is more of an observation than a question... but a question will come out of it...

i notice that the filter intake seems too long, and it looks like it sucked up some of the sand... would that pose a problem of any sort? it seems to be a good idea that the filter sucks up water from the bottom, allowing more undesired debris to be collected... but at the same time, i would think that the sand being sucked up will mess up the impeller... maybe some would get caught and lock the thing up...

Originally, I stuck the filter intake down into the sand without thinking and some got pulled into the clear tube. It was too heavy to make it up the tube though, and settled down into the bottom of the intake tube. I dug a low area out for the tube to sit down in, and it has been fine. When I cleaned the filter the first time, I emptied out that small bit of sand, and it has been fine since. I would just suggest burrowing out a small area so that the filter is not in the sand itself, but other than that, no problems.

I thought about a harlequin pair, because those are THEE coolest looking shrimp ever. Although that died doesn't seem too easy to satisfy. I'm thinking of something like a long tentacle plate coral or maybe even a tiny torch or hammer and getting some anenome shrimp as well. I just wish I had some money :(

About Harlequin shrimp diet: Many people have had their tanks over-run by small white-looking stars. I always wonder, would they be a good food source for the harlequin shrimp? They seem to be prodigious stars and a possible continual source of food for the shrimp.

Sexy shrimp are also great for a very small tank. Saw a couple living in a pico at an LFS. The tank was TINY, maybe a quarter of a gallon. The sexies looked great in it.

Just some thoughts.

About Harlequin shrimp diet: Many people have had their tanks over-run by small white-looking stars. I always wonder, would they be a good food source for the harlequin shrimp? They seem to be prodigious stars and a possible continual source of food for the shrimp.

Sexy shrimp are also great for a very small tank. Saw a couple living in a pico at an LFS. The tank was TINY, maybe a quarter of a gallon. The sexies looked great in it.

Just some thoughts.

Yes, I have heard that they will eat the little Asterina stars, but they will run out. I think alot of folks feed chocolate chip stars. They will feed on one for weeks.

I have to say, its very cool to see the tanks here on the forums. And also thanks. i accidently found your post while playing around with google and it has gotten me back into Aquariums. its been years( about 12+) since i had my last tank (30g long Oceanic) which was one of the first types of "nano-reef". I always missed the water :D . So this Christmas my daughter surprises me with a 24G Aquapod because she heard me spouting how cool it was while reading your post. Thanks again and now that it is running and finished cycyling(2days btw) im already looking for a pico to set up B) . Thanks again to you and all the other posts here for reminding me how fun and awesome it is to set for hours stairing at a nano-reef. :D

where did you get yours if it was online, cuz i'm having difficulty finding one for a reasonable price + shipping. and for the first time ever ebay costs more!

where did you get yours if it was online, cuz i'm having difficulty finding one for a reasonable price + shipping. and for the first time ever ebay costs more!

Are you referring to the tank kit? If so, I got mine from Drs. Foster and Smith online when they had them on sale back in Dec. for about $39.

Really glad to see that this tank is doing so well. I think a small tank loaded up with zoas and rics is one of the coolest things in reefing.

TheChosenReefer

So today I got my check 103 I was like what I must of got over time ( I am 16 work 10 hours a week) But any way I was like more CUC and corals here I come. HOPEFULLY

New Items:

I took a few things out of my AP24 and put them into my Pico tank.

Acan frag that never did very well in my 24, so I decided to try it in the Pico:

IMG_0784.jpg

Paly frag:

IMG_0783.jpg

Zoo frag:

IMG_0782.jpg

Neospongodes (The Purple Passion Tree Coral is sometimes referred to as Broccoli Coral, Branch, or Cauliflower Coral). Came to me damaged and torn up, I saved a piece of it and it is slowly growing nto something:

IMG_0785.jpg

Newest FTS:

IMG_0786.jpg

I just ordered the TOM Deco Kit 3 on Big Al's Online for $44.99. With shipping (ground pony express!) it came to $54.00 or so.

Just my $0.02

Tank looks awesome H20, i almost ordered the tom deco kit 3g today but i was a little hesitant. Is there any technical problems or anything that needs to be changed?

Also i see that there are daylights and actinics. Are there moonlights or when the lights go off all lights are off?

I just ordered the TOM Deco Kit 3 on Big Al's Online for $44.99. With shipping (ground pony express!) it came to $54.00 or so.

Just my $0.02

I was wondering if that was the whole kit with everything included from big al's. They dont give a very good description on their website.

Archived