Innovative Marine Aquariums

Flame Scallops

PrimoPromo

I was really interested in a flame scallop a few months ago. Then after some research decided against it strictly because of the mortality rate. But just out of curiosity I was wondering how much they actually release when they die? Has anyone had a serious tank issue from the death of a flame scallop? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Korbin Dallas

I've had a flame scallop for about 4 months now, like the groovy light show, it's like theres a night club going on in the tank. Feed it phyto and rotifers, seems to be doing fine. I got two as a package deal and the second on was close to death so the CUC went to work immediatly on it, next morning it was totally eaten, empty shell. If there was any toxin released it didn't effect my tank much.

• 3 months later...
SeeDemTails

Scallops are great, fried or with butter!

Collecting them over sea grass beds is a ton of fun....cup coral colonies everywhere and huge purple sponges that look like termite mounds.

• 2 weeks later...
Reef Goddess

I've had pretty good success in keeping them in the past but my tanks have been established for a long time and my young tanks are producing their own mysis shrimp. I had a flame scallop in my old 180 for over 3 years until an anemone decided to sit on it. ;[

Definately not for the beginner aquarist. They will usually settle into a cryptic spot so other than the joy of knowing its there, you're not going to get much out of it. Kinda like I have these bright orange and yellow brittle star fish in my tank, but I only see them when I'm moving rocks around. ;]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
RayWhisperer
I love my scallops wrapped in bacon.
I'll have one order of bacon wrapped scallops, hold the scallops.

Archived