Innovative Marine Aquariums

Siwelk's 30g 'Reef Theatre'

siwelk

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VannReefer87

Nice tank man!

very sad about the yellow tang, esp. that its @ a LFS that others will see it and feel its ok to put in their nano tank!...Very nice build by the way, love the yasha goby, used to have one but he decided to jump ship the day before I finished my egg crate top on my parents 120g....

As far as the light goes, try switching one of your 10k bulbs out with the current 460nm bulb and I replaced another 10k with a UVL 75.25 which still provides a good growth spectrum but helps develop some nice color as well....

I wish I could've done the whole drilling and sump thing in my tank but because its only a "temporary" college reef it would've made things too difficult to move home/ to a new place in the future...The 30L tank has its advantages over the 30B in the sense that you can make more caves and provide different lighting conditions because of the extra height...thats the only thing I don't like about my 30B, everything gets high light...the zoas that I do have take forever to acclimate to the light because its always intense...we need a 30g tank thread :grouphug:

P.S. I take it you have a Civic SI ? How do you like it..I was considering one for a short time before I got my "new" car last summer...

Nice tank man!

very sad about the yellow tang, esp. that its @ a LFS that others will see it and feel its ok to put in their nano tank!...Very nice build by the way, love the yasha goby, used to have one but he decided to jump ship the day before I finished my egg crate top on my parents 120g....

As far as the light goes, try switching one of your 10k bulbs out with the current 460nm bulb and I replaced another 10k with a UVL 75.25 which still provides a good growth spectrum but helps develop some nice color as well....

I wish I could've done the whole drilling and sump thing in my tank but because its only a "temporary" college reef it would've made things too difficult to move home/ to a new place in the future...The 30L tank has its advantages over the 30B in the sense that you can make more caves and provide different lighting conditions because of the extra height...thats the only thing I don't like about my 30B, everything gets high light...the zoas that I do have take forever to acclimate to the light because its always intense...we need a 30g tank thread :grouphug:

P.S. I take it you have a Civic SI ? How do you like it..I was considering one for a short time before I got my "new" car last summer...

i know what you mean. ive already had to fetch this guy out of the internal overflow. im running open-top and im afraid he might decide to sky dive one day.

i was already thinking of replacing a 10K with a UVL 75.25, i was also wanting to swap out a blue for a UVL super actinic.

thats one of the things i liked better about the 30L, it has more height which helps accomodate lower light corals. i think i remember someone starting a 30g tank thread not long ago. ill have to do a search.

yeah, i have an '07 coupe. i really like it. i dig the interior styling and i can get 30+ mpg on the highway. theres a guy at my LFS that has a sedan and another guy at my ATT store that has a coupe. i usually dont see many of them.

Edit: 30g tank thread

VannReefer87

nice man, yea hopefully your decides it like water better than trying carpet surf....I'd go with something like the current bulb in 420nm...its more purple than the standard 460nm actinic in the fixture and really makes colors pop, the UVL super actinic looks like the current one except a bit dimmer...I tried them all @ my LFS because I work there and the owner doesn't mind me experimenting with lighting..but by all means do what you want you def. know what you're doing....

nice man, yea hopefully your decides it like water better than trying carpet surf....I'd go with something like the current bulb in 420nm...its more purple than the standard 460nm actinic in the fixture and really makes colors pop, the UVL super actinic looks like the current one except a bit dimmer...I tried them all @ my LFS because I work there and the owner doesn't mind me experimenting with lighting..but by all means do what you want you def. know what you're doing....

thanks for the heads up. what is your bulb combo front-to-back?

VannReefer87

yasha looks good!

My bulb set-up:

*-Front->Back

-Current 420nm actinic bulb (Purple)

-UVL 75.25 (Pink)

-Current 460nm actinic bulb (Blue)

-UVL AquaSun (Yellowish)

-Current 460nm (Blue)

-UVL 75.25 (Pink)

Seems to give me good growth and color,but may try swaping one of the Current 460nm for a ATI super blue or Blue +, or maybe 3k bulbs to bring out the reds and pinks more

man that sucks

im starting to worry about this open top thing

my onyx jumped yesterday early morning

yeah me too. i think im going to have to fashion an eggcrate top now.

Wow.....makes me a bit worried now.

yeah, im definately going to make some sort of top before i add anything again. funny thing is a couple weeks ago i started to make one then thought "nah, i wont need one." riiiiiight.

I like your system!

thanks. too bad you came in at the death rattle.

well the day started of sh!tty due to the loss of my yashia goby to carpet surfing earlier this morning. so now im working on an eggcrate or net top to cover my tank before i add another fish. the good news is i got my black curtains back today and i got a chance to put them up. i havent got them exactly fit yet, but heres a few teaser pics of my "Reef Theatre."

Enjoy.

DSCN0271.jpg

DSCN0272.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

i plan to add this sign in the space above the curtains for authenticity :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOW-SHOWING-MARQUIS-BA...1QQcmdZViewItem

:( Awwwww so Sorry about your fish Siwelk . :flower:

P.S. Nice theater!!

Awesome. I love the curtains. Simple, affordable, and looks great. What more can you ask for?

Haha yeah. The poor mans "in-wall"

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a cover for my tank? I was thinking maybe just acrylic but I'm worried about heat issues. I have some eggcrate left over I may try that.

well i went to my LFS today to get some RO. they actually had another yashia hangin around but i resisted the urge to buy him. ive got to come up with some sort of top first. im also thinking of going with a stonogobiops dracula this time around.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...&ddid=35553

i did pick up a frag of 2 polyps of dragon eye zoas for $8. ill try to post a pic soon.

Nice. This is a really unique, simple idea and it turned out pretty well.

The Draculas are adorable, good luck if you decide to get one.

Nice. This is a really unique, simple idea and it turned out pretty well.

The Draculas are adorable, good luck if you decide to get one.

thanks. im pretty pleased with the outcome myself.

i was hopin it didnt look ghetto.

Archived