Cultivated Reef

Siwelk's 30g 'Reef Theatre'

siwelk

Nice, your plumbing looks good, very clean. Keep it up, and keep us updated, I'm excited to see this come along.

thanks, im sure it will look pretty nasty here soon. :P

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, you move a lot faster than me and i have almost everything! lol

i said that i hope to get water by the weekend and that was 3 weeks ago!

good luck on the build

haha, thanks. well that tax check helped me get all the rest of the equipment i needed and ive been off work all week with strep throat. ive been just stayin inside out of the snow and trying to get as much done as possible.

good luck to you too.

lucky! right now i wouldnt mind getting sick and staying home, but i remember when i got strep in hs

wasnt fun, but i wasnt setting up a tank back then

for me money isnt the issue, its just making decisions that get me. do i want a new skimmer or just use the one i have, do i know everything i want now so i can order or should i think some more to make one big order?

already been to home depot 4 or 5 times now and i have to go back today to get a few more things...this never ends for me

hope you get better and tell them you still have strep so you can still work on the tank...jk

i have the same problem. i usually spend half my time at work with my phone looking at reef related stuff and a pen and paper making listing, drawing diagrams, etc. my OCD kicks in and i keep myself pretty occupied with trying to make purchase decisions and everything.

UPDATE

emptied the tank so i could do some initial aquascaping with the marco rock. ive always liked the look of pillars and i wanted to try to do 3 pillar-style rock formations. let me know how you think it turned out. i still have to find some place to add about 10-15lbs of "seed" rock.

some arrangements i was working on outside of the tank

DSCN0168.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0165.jpg

turned out a little differently once i got it in the tank. i like it so far i think. any comments/suggestions?

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

Edit: wow, i cant take a level picture for sheet.

if anyone has a pair of K3s in a 40g or under, hows that working out for you?

IT DIDN'T ! There was way to much movement ! I was constrained as far as placement, there were only two combinations for placement both did not end up working out.

could you elaborate a little more on your problem please? i.e. what were you keeping that was having a problem with the flow.

Well, I had issues with flying substrate/ bare spots in the corners. I had them pointing at the surface from 8 " bellow the water line. I took one k3 out and still fell that it was a little high, I am now using one K3 and one K1 in my 40 BR.

hmm. duly noted.

ill have my substrate and water back in my tank in about an hour, we'll see how it goes i suppose. thanks for the heads up, just in the nick of time too.

thanks, i just needed a little reassurance before i added the sand and water

Are you gonna be ok with algae building up on the left and right sides of your tank? You could avoid that by leaving a 1" gap in between the bottom-most part of your rock, where it now touches the glass. You can bring the center piece forward a little to maintain the gaps in between.

Man that aquascape looks great just as it is now, there is just the right amount of rock for that tank.Lets hope the seeded rock doesnt negatively affect the "spaced out and airy" look. One thin just push the rocks away from the side glasses a little more.

Btw, that tunze 9002 magnet is so much better than its previous hang on attachment. Actually, because of the old attachment it kept me from buyin the damn skimmer. I though the magnet came only in the reefpack, does it come with the newer model 9002 or did you buy it seperately???

formations look nice but the placement looks wierd

like theyre just there

maybe because its minus sand and water? im not sure. hopefully when i fill it up it will look better, if not i guess i can always rearrrange it.

Are you gonna be ok with algae building up on the left and right sides of your tank? You could avoid that by leaving a 1" gap in between the bottom-most part of your rock, where it now touches the glass. You can bring the center piece forward a little to maintain the gaps in between.

i think the algae buildup will be ok. the tank is meant to be viewed from the front only, and i have painted the left and right sides of the tank black to match the back. i have a nimble super magnet coming from C. Jerome so hopefully ill be able to clean some of the sides if i find it to be unsightly.

Man that aquascape looks great just as it is now, there is just the right amount of rock for that tank.Lets hope the seeded rock doesnt negatively affect the "spaced out and airy" look. One thin just push the rocks away from the side glasses a little more.

Btw, that tunze 9002 magnet is so much better than its previous hang on attachment. Actually, because of the old attachment it kept me from buyin the damn skimmer. I though the magnet came only in the reefpack, does it come with the newer model 9002 or did you buy it seperately???

thanks. im hoping i can find a few good spots to put the seed rock so it will complement the present 'scape. i believe the newer 9002s come with the magnet attachment, as mine did. i ordered it from MD about a week or so ago. it made getting the skimmer the right depth a breeze.

Alright sounds good, so pour sand in it already. Are you home or must we wait until you get off of work? hehe.

im home :P

im working on it sheesh

I think you should change your top off system. Your tank is going to look great but will be dwarfed by that tower of plastic next to it.

everything around the tank will be covered up by black curtains. you wont see anything but the front glass.

well im not sure if the problem is the camera itself or the memory card. i took the memory card out and now im limited to 5 pics at a time that i can store on the cameras internal memory. i guess that will have to do for now until i get this SOB figured out. anyways, heres a few pics of the cloudyness. enjoy.

DSCN0194.jpg

DSCN0192.jpg

flash...

DSCN0193.jpg

well im not sure if the problem is the camera itself or the memory card. i took the memory card out and now im limited to 5 pics at a time that i can store on the cameras internal memory. i guess that will have to do for now until i get this SOB figured out. anyways, heres a few pics of the cloudyness. enjoy.

DSCN0194.jpg

DSCN0192.jpg

flash...

DSCN0193.jpg

Looks like you decided to move the outer rocks slightly inward. Good call. Especially during cycling, that algae can become quite unsightly. I'm not so sure you would want coralline growing on your glass either or you might? I know it's a personal preference thing. Looks great. Let the real journey begin.

Looks like you decided to move the outer rocks slightly inward. Good call. Especially during cycling, that algae can become quite unsightly. I'm not so sure you would want coralline growing on your glass either or you might? I know it's a personal preference thing. Looks great. Let the real journey begin.

ha, actually i didnt move the rocks at all. it must just be the angle of the pic. the rocks really arent that close to the sides of the tank, it must just look that way. i have enough room to clean the sides of the glass once my nimble nano gets here. thanks for the comments.

:)

ha, actually i didnt move the rocks at all. it must just be the angle of the pic. the rocks really arent that close to the sides of the tank, it must just look that way. i have enough room to clean the sides of the glass once my nimble nano gets here. thanks for the comments.

:)

Yeah wierd. they don't seem to be touching now. Must've been the angle. So do you already know what you'll be stocking?

Archived