Pod Your Reef

TJ_Burton Returns - last pics...

TJ_Burton

I was planning on having a pair of clowns and my bicolor blenny in mine with a small tang but I am now thinking about replacing the tang with a dozen chromis, FTW.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was planning on having a pair of clowns and my bicolor blenny in mine with a small tang but I am now thinking about replacing the tang with a dozen chromis, FTW.

Yeah, I would nix the tang and replace it with something else. The chromis do add a lot of movement and personality to the tank! FTW is right!

any idea why chromis dont do well in small group, TJ?

I suppose there isn't enough of a pecking order, and the least dominant fish ends up getting killed and so on and so forth until only one is left, and they tend not to do well on their own.

I grabbed 13 chromis in hopes there would be enough diffusion of aggression in a larger group.

Wow, your tank looks AMAZING with the school of chromis'!!! So what do you think, would it be a good idea to add a school to my tank? My yellow tang is actually pretty peaceful, but my purpleback pseudochromis is the devil.

Btw, I'm really not trying to rip off your idea. I've been thinking about doing it for a few months now, you just beat me to the punch!

grrr glen and tj. u guys stop! hahaha you're making my impulsive shopping tendency worse.... also, would adding 12 chromis a big shock to the tank? i dont want the nitrates to go wooosh :)

grrr glen and tj. u guys stop! hahaha you're making my impulsive shopping tendency worse.... also, would adding 12 chromis a big shock to the tank? i dont want the nitrates to go wooosh :)

I wondered that myself, but I think with adequate skimming, wc's, and not overfeeding too much, that it would be okay.

<thinking> how about i get a pearly jawfish for my tank? but darn it, i still want a swimming fish, not a hiding, perching, or jumping one LMAO

Wow, your tank looks AMAZING with the school of chromis'!!! So what do you think, would it be a good idea to add a school to my tank? My yellow tang is actually pretty peaceful, but my purpleback pseudochromis is the devil.

Btw, I'm really not trying to rip off your idea. I've been thinking about doing it for a few months now, you just beat me to the punch!

No worries mate :)

I can't blame someone for wanting to add these fish - they are awesome! :happy:

It really depends on your system. My 40br has 75g of water in the system, a 27g refugium, and a skimmer rated for a tank over 100g. Having 20 fish in my system is manageable without any huge fluctuations. However, keep in mind that chromis (like anthias) are suspension feeders and need to be fed 2-3 times a day. I know for a lot of nano reefers, feeding this much would be very difficult to manage when it comes to nitrates.

I have a lot of faith in my setup so I am not worried. Just be careful and monitor your parameters if you add these fish, you may have to increase the frequency of water changes.

masterbuilder

Hey TJ,

Your tank is looking great. I love your light setup. I am doing something similar with a new tank. I think you could really get some fantastic colors and growth from your corals with just a slight modification to your lamp selection. Using just 10K and actinic lamps doesnt do your tank justice. Dare I say it...run over to RC and check out this million page thread (if you already havent). http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1429542

Very few folks that have wonderful tanks like yours are just using two lamp colors. Throw in 2 other color lamps and you will be shocked at the improvement.

Hope mine looks as nice as yours.

Mark

Hey TJ,

Your tank is looking great. I love your light setup. I am doing something similar with a new tank. I think you could really get some fantastic colors and growth from your corals with just a slight modification to your lamp selection. Using just 10K and actinic lamps doesnt do your tank justice. Dare I say it...run over to RC and check out this million page thread (if you already havent). http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hreadid=1429542

Very few folks that have wonderful tanks like yours are just using two lamp colors. Throw in 2 other color lamps and you will be shocked at the improvement.

Hope mine looks as nice as yours.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark! I will certainly be looking into some new bulbs - I have seen the UL 75.25 bulb and was considering picking one up soon, - I know the ATI bulbs are also very good. I will take a look at that thread you posted, and hopefully get some nicer bulbs.

TJ, what bulbs are u using for your tank? i read it somewhere in the 22 pages of this thread but can you just remind us? hehe

TJ, what bulbs are u using for your tank? i read it somewhere in the 22 pages of this thread but can you just remind us? hehe

lol - no problem

Front

-Actinic 470nm

-Actinic 470nm

-Actinic 420nm

-Actinic 470nm

Back

It really isn't all that pleasing in color. The RC TOTM tank is what I would like it to look more like.

Awesome tank and beautiful little harem of chromis. Great video too. Sometimes we never really get a good sense of what tanks look like until you see a video of them. Then you get to really see them in action :)

I am getting ready to get a T5 Aquatinics fixture and like Masterbuilder, have been throwing around bulb choices. Unlike MH, the combinations are pretty much limitless. On the suggestion of others and surfing that HUGE T5 thread on RC, here is what I think I'm shooting for.

ATI Blue Plus, ATI Blue Special, UVL 75.25. Pretty much the same as Masterbuilder after comparing/copying his ideas :)

masterbuilder

I have looked at or tried to visualized dozens of tanks trying to get the look I am after. This is what I am trying to duplicate. The owner of the tank says that the pic is very close to what it looks like in person.

2_2sp2pro.jpg

This guy is running all ATI lamps. 2 Blue Special, 2 Blue Plus, 2 Pro Color. Might be too blue for you, maybe replace one of the pro-color lamps with a 10k.

I have 5 lamps (not 6) on my new tank, so trying to work it out. Live rock arrives Wed. So I dont have any corals or fish in it yet to really say how it really looks and wont for awhile.

You can see the spectographs of each lamp over on reefgeek.com

I have looked at or tried to visualized dozens of tanks trying to get the look I am after. This is what I am trying to duplicate. The owner of the tank says that the pic is very close to what it looks like in person.

2_2sp2pro.jpg

This guy is running all ATI lamps. 2 Blue Special, 2 Blue Plus, 2 Pro Color. Might be too blue for you, maybe replace one of the pro-color lamps with a 10k.

I have 5 lamps (not 6) on my new tank, so trying to work it out. Live rock arrives Wed. So I dont have any corals or fish in it yet to really say how it really looks and wont for awhile.

You can see the spectographs of each lamp over on reefgeek.com

That is very close to how I would like it to look. Possibly a tad less blue - so your 10K suggestion would probably do the trick.

I will start saving some coin for a bulb change. Possibly within the next couple weeks or so.

now, thats just sad ;(

:P I am just teasing. The hobby does burn a lot of cash. Not as much as my car though.

oH NO, here come the fuel talk..... im so mad at the gas pump imma go frag some corals when i get home, and throw it into the gas tank and hopefully it will run the car.. jk

*Update*

I switched out 2 more bulbs in my fixture, both Korallen-Zucht. I am now sporting a Fiji Purple bulb, and a Special Generation 14,000K. I removed one Current USA 10,000K and one Current USA 420nm actinic.

Now the bulb configuration is:

Front

470nm

470nm

Special Generation 14,000K

Fiji Purple

470nm

Back

I also got some new corals, so I will post pics of the new lighting and corals later on tonight.

SeeDemTails

Wow how did I miss the new pics!

Awesome school of chromis! I had 4 at one point, but like you said they picked each other off till there was one.

Wow how did I miss the new pics!

Awesome school of chromis! I had 4 at one point, but like you said they picked each other off till there was one.

I should have mine by Tuesday. I may go big with 13 as well, we'll see. Post some more pics TJ!!!

Archived