ReefCleaners.org

bonsai reef

danano

"Don't you mean to say, "Yaaay you got a canary wrasse, Yaaaay you got a canary wrasse, Yaaaay you got a canary wrasse"

if you insist lol

you got canary wrasse yaaaaaaaaay! you got canry wrasse yaaaaaaay! yaaaaaaaay! canary wrasse yaaaaaaaaaaaay! i wanna canary wrasse yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

better now? lol

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny... even better... I actually mentioned something about CULTURING PEARLS... :D

No she doesn't read this board but she'd have a good laugh if she did.

cjm, I love my canary wrasse... lots of character and always busy fussing about the reef. Actually, all my fish are cool and have distinct characters. Love 'em all.

cmor, no probs with aggression. I make sure nothing touches. I will frag and/or move stuff if necessary.

Johnny, talking about buffer, I'm dosing Reef Builder in my top off water almost daily to maintain alkalinity. Struggling to keep it at 8 - 9 Dkh. No problems with maintaining Ca at 450ppm with manual dosing though.

Here's my purple tortuosa surrounded by other sps.

You are my idol. How in the hell do you keep the CA at a good level for all that stuff you have in there! God that is one sweet tank

thanks Dustin ;)

Here's a pic of a thin branched stag from Fiji... I'm still trying to ID it. Body is a very light colour with a faint bluish hue around the tips.

Thanks MacnReef.

I've actually got 3x55W PC illuminating my nano reef now. I added a third 55W to get to the shaded areas of my sps. I have seen noticeable improvement in growth rates and colouration with the addition.

Yes, they do extend beyond the tank on both sides. Tank is 20" while the light cover/hood is almost 23". PC tubes are 21" long.

Dan

:D... thanks for the vote Mac... TOTM would be an honour and achievement!

Here's what the lights look like from the top.

i am sure you have been asked before but where did you get that little 13 watt light and fixture you have over your refuge? i have looked on the net but can't seem to find it. is it a coralife one? thanks for the help.

Jeff

Jeff, it's a Taiwan make w/ 13W 7000K PC. It's actually quite ideal for a 5g or smaller nano. Not sure if it's available in the US though. Do Coralife and/or JBJ have something similar?

A very nice nano setup. I love the variety of corals you have in the tank. Looks very nice. Keep up the good work man. Love your tank setup.

Really appreciate the feedback and encouragement Sahin.

My nano-reef inhabitants…

SPS - green porites, brown porites, maroon porites (w/ green polyps), pink tip acro, green tip a., bali green slimer, a. millepora (green hairy), purple monti danae, lime green monti cap, agaricia (lettuce coral), purple tip table a., a. tortuosa, thin branch staghorn, purple pocillopora, pink seriatopora (birdsnest), green birdsnest, green encrusting a., blue tip stag

LPS - white alveopora, green/white alveo, torch, yellow turbinara (cup), pipe organ, pastel yellow goniopora, blastomussa (red w/ green rim)

Soft coral - Dendronephthya (pink and orange carnation)

Polyps - cloves, green star

Zoos - orange, green, red

Shrooms - blue, green hairy

Inverts - cleaner shrimp, acro crabs, porites shrimp, misc reef crabs, X'mas tree worms (small and large sizes), feather duster worm, snails

Clams - tridacna maxima, t. crocea, t. derasa

Fish - tomato clown, false percula clown, yellow canary wrasse, blue damsel

Other - millepora sp (fire coral)

Refugium inhabitants... 4 types of macroalgae, green star polyps, yellow polyps, blue shrooms, green zoos, candy cane and blue bubble

deacon hemp

Wow danano all that stuff and four fish thats amazing how do you do it?Also have your carnations done well and grown?if so what do you think contributes to they're success?I like them very much and want to try my hand at them.

BTW your nano rawks!

How do I do it...

Setup:

- 10 gallon acrylic tank (20"L x 10.5"W x 12"H)

- 4 gallon DIY refugium

- Ice Probe chiller

- Piccolo protein skimmer

- lighting 3X55W PC [10000K, 50/50(10KK/actinic), 17000K blue) and 1X15W actinic (to simulate dawn and dusk)

- refugium lighting 13W PC on 12hr reverse photoperiod

- Mini power filter w/ Rowaphos and p. skimmer sits in Millenium 2000

- maximum flow rate 450gal/hr

Water parameters:

- Ph: 8.0 low 8.3 high

- Nitrite: undetectable/negligible

- Ammonia: undetectable/negligible

- Nitrate: undetectable/negligible

- Salinity: 1.025

- Calcium: 450ppm (Salifert)

- Temperature: 79 low 82 high

- Alkalinity: 8 - 9DKH

Water, Alk and Ca maintenance:

• Seachem Reef Carbonate (Builder), one capful 3x/wk in top-up water

• Seachem Reef Complete (Advantage Calcium), one capful 2x/wk in top-up water

• 10% water change every two weeks using Tropic Marin salt

• Water top-up 0.25 gal daily

Supplements:

- Sea Elements (Julian Sprung's Reef Formula)

- Coralife Strontium Plus, Calcium and Iodine

- Kent Marine Coral Accel

Food...

- Marine Snow (microscopic plankton diet), 1x/day

- Marine fish food/pellets, 1x/day

I've had carnations in my nano for almost 6 months. For some reason, the orange ones have done the best. In order to thrive, dendros require constant feeding, shade and good flow. As sps began to dominate my tank, I reduced the frequency of feeding. Shortly thereafter, the dendro's started to shrink in size.

While beautiful, I would not recommend dendros unless you are prepared to feed them at least twice a day with a plankton diet.

danano, I think I see a spot for another frag in there.

amazing, simply amazing. the colors are awesome and the tank looks incredible.

Crakeur, you do ???... where, where... show me? ;)

Actually, there are still the powerheads and the fuge outlet pipes I haven't started on yet...:D

I've also got a piece of stag LR (similar to the one on the left wall) that I am thinking off placing either just behind the blue maxima or to the left of it... hmmmm

Archived