Top Shelf Aquatics

fewskillz' 180 gallon adventure!

fewskillz

:happydance::wacko::blink:omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg:happydance::blink::wacko:

Yesterday morning:

before

IMG_5314.jpg

Getting started, that veneer was sticky...

IMG_5315.jpg

a little paint

IMG_5316.jpg

a little PVC

IMG_5317.jpg

a little progress

IMG_5320.jpg

After, and moved inside

IMG_5322.jpg

Dry fitting the return

IMG_5324.jpg

All of it, that's a long way down there

IMG_5325.jpg

Painted, called it a night

IMG_5326.jpg

Today:

got buckets?

IMG_5328.jpg

got aquariums?

IMG_5327.jpg

Out with the old

IMG_5329.jpg

In with the new

IMG_5330.jpg

Where we stand right now, dinner break

IMG_5332.jpg

Forgot to say that I found the jawfish that I'd written off for dead months ago. She looks rough, but she's alive. I'm almost thinking she was trapped or something. Hopefully she'll perk up in the new tank. Now I've got to add a little more sand than I was planning.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The size difference is even more dramatic in person. It's crazy.

The fish are still in the 40b. The 180 is a little more than half full with a couple of koralias and a heater. The water was still only 72* this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to move them over tonight, I've got a lot of work to do today.

This is pretty close to what the stand will look like when finished:

standinspiration.jpg

Thanks ya'll. The fish will be moved over tonight. Everything was settled and warmed up enough last night to do it, but it was 10 pm before I got home and I didn't feel like it. The Nova Extreme should be waiting on my front porch for me, too. Soooo...first FTS tonight!

I'm thinking about getting a Vortech with the battery backup, for peace of mind. I've lost almost a whole tank before in one night while I was sleeping because the power went out, I can't chance that again with the amount of livestock that will be in this tank. I was looking at the Magnum Koralias, so what's another $450? :mellow:

Looking good so far, how many tanks do you have setup?

Bruce

Thanks. Just the ones in my signature and the 40 breeder holding tank for everything moving into the 180.

Whoa.

:D

IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS IN FEBRUARY! Nova Extreme 4-lamp, Par38, and clear 1/4" pond netting were all waiting for me at home! Tonight is going to be fun. Now I just need to find a lamp to hold the Par38, the one I was going to use temporarily isn't big enough.

Let there be light:

NovaExtreme.jpg

Great scape!

Thanks! The rock on the right in the foreground sits up on top of that tower, but the water level is still too low. I'll put more in it tonight.

animalmaster6
Thanks! The rock on the right in the foreground sits up on top of that tower, but the water level is still too low. I'll put more in it tonight.

That would be cool if snails and hermits went up there

Thanks ya'll. The fish will be moved over tonight. Everything was settled and warmed up enough last night to do it, but it was 10 pm before I got home and I didn't feel like it. The Nova Extreme should be waiting on my front porch for me, too. Soooo...first FTS tonight!

I'm thinking about getting a Vortech with the battery backup, for peace of mind. I've lost almost a whole tank before in one night while I was sleeping because the power went out, I can't chance that again with the amount of livestock that will be in this tank. I was looking at the Magnum Koralias, so what's another $450? :mellow:

Didja see the new battery back up with the dual ports? Same price as the original model but can run two pumps. Savin' some pennies for that one myself. :lol:

I saw that today actually. I'll probably only have one pump, so it doesn't make much difference to me. I may eventually add a second one.

Picture time! Mesh lids:

Meshlids.jpg

The Par38 wouldn't fit in the desk lamp I was going to use for testing, so I came up with this:

Par38overhead.jpg

I took all the bulbs out of the overhead light. It's 30" too far away, but it worked for tonight.

Comparison shots (it's not this blue in person, I didn't change the settings at all, it's getting late)

left side with just T5

leftPar38off.jpg

T5 and LED

leftPar38on.jpg

Right side T5 only

rightPar38off.jpg

T5 and LED

rightPar38on.jpg

I'm very impressed with the nanotuners.com Par38 LED. This is the 12000k, 60* optic variety. I think I'm going to put this one over my Pico though and go with 3x 40* optics to act as spotlights to really highlight my aquascape. I'll make my final decision after I get another lamp that I can move closer to the tank.

Looking good!! Is it totally filled up and running now? I think I need to eventually add screens like that on my tank - did you just buy a screen window kit from home depot and use pond netting? Is it a an easy DIY?

just noticed 2000th post - omgomgomg

cmador, not a kit, but same stuff. I bought it all seperate. It's the 1/4" mesh that someone was selling in the hardware classifieds, he'll cut it to size and mail it to you for a very reasonable price. There's also a DIY article in the DIY section by the same guy. I wouldn't run a tank without it.

Not filled all the way, only about 3" from the top now. I'll be finishing the plumbing this week after work.

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's really starting to look nice in person. Today we put a floor inside the stand and moved the sump in so I can finish all of the plumbing. I still need to drill my fuge too.

My truck started acting up today, so some of the final funds for this tank may get diverted to that. I'd like to get a whole new truck altogether, I need more towing capacity by next year anyways...

Lots of frags are on their way from Mr. Fosi and nanoyed. A pair of baby Black & white Occy's from nanoyed as well. Lots of zoas, some frogspawn, a little gsp, and an orange monti cap frag.

I've also placed a liveaquaria order for Saturday delivery:

Scotts Fairy wrasse (Cook's island, large),

Red Head Solon Wrasse,

Exquisite Wrasse (Maldives),

4 lyretail anthias (female, fiji),

bicolor blenny,

5 chromis,

2 yellowtail damsels (1 for 180, 1 for 55),

heniochus butterfly (indo pacific, med),

marble sea star (orange, maldives, med)

Archived