SaltCritters.com

20L Mixed Reef w/T-5's

SaltyVT

Hey, hey!! :lol: I had the rose mili under the MH and it browned out, under the T-5 they had started to grow like crazy, and turning a pinkish color. The Blue tort is starting to grow, It took some time to adjust, but it is taking off. My Montis are really looking good, one browned out from Green base with brown polyps to pink. Everything has really done alot better then under the MH. Although I lost most of my yumas under the t-5, but most other corals have tripled in size. I love the 24" T-5. I am going to try ATI bulbs next time I change the lights, I am using geismann now.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your gonna like ATI's alot better than the gmanns. Ive got SPS thriving under my 4 bulb ATI Powermodule with 2ATI B+, 1 ATI sunpro, 1 UVL SA. 14k look, over a 75 Gal.

Hey, hey!! :lol: I had the rose mili under the MH and it browned out, under the T-5 they had started to grow like crazy, and turning a pinkish color. The Blue tort is starting to grow, It took some time to adjust, but it is taking off. My Montis are really looking good, one browned out from Green base with brown polyps to pink. Everything has really done alot better then under the MH. Although I lost most of my yumas under the t-5, but most other corals have tripled in size. I love the 24" T-5. I am going to try ATI bulbs next time I change the lights, I am using geismann now.

Great Info. Noted for future consideration.

With the Tek fixture are you able to switch certain bulbs off to obtain the actinics look? Also, are you using any moonlights?

Yes and no. It has two switches that each control two light. One for the middle two and one for the outside two. I have it set up with my actinics on the outside and my whites on the inside. I am not using moon lights, yet!

Looks awesome man.Ive put my T5's on seperate ballasts as well seperating the actinic from the whites. I need to put them on switches or timers though unplugging is pain in the arse.

I could imagine! I hate Home depot timers, they seem to work when they want to. Luckily my timers for the lights work its the reverse fuge light that has a mind of its own. You have a bad ass tank, you have inspired me to do more with my tank!!

It's been a while since I have seen your tank. It looks great, very natural looking. This is one of the inspirations for my 20L... which is taking forever...

Thanks! Good tanks take time! I need to take some better photos this weekend to show the great growth I am getting. Yours is looking really good! Keep up the good work, looking forward to the future with it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Salty, I've been following your new tank thread ever since you had your BC8 tank (I have a BC8). The 20L looks fantastic. Do you have much of an evaporation problem with the open top? Just wondered if you had to top off much.

Thanks!

- geoff

I love your 20L :D everything looks great! I just got a 20L & I am interested in setting up a closed loop system like yours. Can you show me some photos of the back & sump (if possible) I have no idea how to go about setting one up.

• 2 months later...

heres some updated pics. I had been neglecting my tank for awhile. Have a new baby so my attention was else were. I ended up really good at growing bubble algae. Also I dropped part of my light in the water, and killed on ballast....... So I have a new one on the way, I did lose my tort, and one clam, and part of me mili. Hopefully the ballast come soon. I ended up taking out all the rack scrubbing it down and rearranging, I think it cam out nice. I can't take a full tank shot to save me, they always wash out..

P1030629-1.jpg

P1030624.jpg

P1030625.jpg

P1030626.jpg

P1030627.jpg

P1030628.jpg

P1030634.jpg

P1030623.jpg

Still looks good. Sorry to hear about the light. Ouch.

I ha some green bubble algae in mine, got an Emerald crab and he ate it all up nicely. Then, this past Friday I caught him eating one of my red mushrooms. Little bugger was munching down on it. Quickly nabbed him and took him back to the lfs.

He did his job, so I wasn't too upset.

Yeah this light thing sucked, but it seems as everything (softies) likes the less intense light better. My little emerald doesn't eat my algae. Oh well, it looks cool! To answer your question way back. I don't get too bad of evaporation, like a gallon or three a week, depending. My next investment will be a skimmer, to try and battle the algae outbreaks. Also weekly large WC to help. I have bitten by that "bug" again..........

Archived