SaltCritters.com

20L Mixed Reef w/T-5's

SaltyVT

Thanks! it seems like it's growing quickly!

Unfortunately, I had a death today. Sadly Sushi was pasted away. :( He/she made its was into the filter intake of the AC110. I had taken off the strainer to shorten it up and place it back on, but failed to put it back on that day. Well this morning he/she went missing and I ended up finding it stuck in the intake, not a pretty sight. So lets all take a moment of silence for a fallen brother. :(

On a different note my return tubes and SCWD came in today, so I will be working a closed system this weeks. I plan on a hard piped intake and a flexi hose return. I will take pics to show the progress.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ooooooh preeeeeeetty :)

i would make the 16 bow into a display refugium! then you could add a couple sea horses to it ;). that sunpod on top of it would grow macro like crazy haha.

Thanks!! I gave back the 16 bow unfortunately to the LFS, it was only 5 bux too. In the ghetto we utilize all objects in the house to better the fish tank :lol: I have changed it out, I got tired of seeing print paper for a back drop. :P I replaced it with dark blue foam board. So anyway I am Looking to get a pair of onyx clowns in due time. I got bored last night and drew up a diagram of what I am hoping to do with the closed loop.

post-22568-1196808336_thumb.png

Thanks! it seems like it's growing quickly!

Unfortunately, I had a death today. Sadly Sushi was pasted away. :( He/she made its was into the filter intake of the AC110. I had taken off the strainer to shorten it up and place it back on, but failed to put it back on that day. Well this morning he/she went missing and I ended up finding it stuck in the intake, not a pretty sight. So lets all take a moment of silence for a fallen brother. :(

On a different note my return tubes and SCWD came in today, so I will be working a closed system this weeks. I plan on a hard piped intake and a flexi hose return. I will take pics to show the progress.

sorry for the lost bro.

i don't mean to be an ass but in finding nemo doesn't he go up a filter intake and almost die?

Well, finally completed my closed loop. What a pain in the ass, but its done and working great. Should be getting like 700 gph in the tank way more then the 230gph I was getting before. also sold some stuff and bought a nice Ora Blue Tort. Pics to come

Update!

So heres a new FTS, plus some shot of my ORA Blue Tort. The camera is acting up, it washed out the FTS, and isn't showing the blue in the frag. Everything is doing well, I am having an out break of algae, partly due to the location in the room, near the window. I am going to invest in more CUC to take care of it. While cleaning the other day I accidently "fragged" my monti, so I attached it to another rock. The closed loop is doing well, creates a really good flow. I found a pair of nudibranch. They are brown in color, with little furry antenna. So Far I have watched them closely, they don't both with corals, they spend most their time on the glass cruzing around. Will oust them if I see any problems.

P1020560.jpg

P1020564.jpg

P1020563.jpg

P1020562.jpg

Well today was test day. Realized my Calc was 750!!!! Yikes!!! So I will be backing off the calcium. Alk is 3.5 and Ph was low at 8.1. Everything is doing well despite my readings. Updates soon!

Well today was test day. Realized my Calc was 750!!!! Yikes!!! So I will be backing off the calcium. Alk is 3.5 and Ph was low at 8.1. Everything is doing well despite my readings. Updates soon!

Ouch... that's mighty high. Is the 3.5 meq/L? Sounds like a good time for a water change.

That Tek looks great on your tank. You miss the shimmer of halides?

yeah, 3.5 meq/l. I am doing a four Gallon WC tomorrow. Not to worried about the high calc, just skip a few days of dosing, let the sps eat it up and start fresh with a lower dose, and more testing!!!!!! I do miss the shimmers, but love the brightness of the T5's.

Well my Calcium is coming under control. I did a coule of 5 gallon WC to bring it down to about 550. It should return to normal soon. Grabbed up soom GSP today, and reserved a pair of ORA Black Clowns for when I feel my tank is stable once again..... FTS when things open up to there full beauty

Hooray!! I finally slowly brought my Calcium down to ~490. Tomorrow I will do a 5 gallon water change and restart my new and improved dosage procedures. Now I have an out break of algae due to my high calc.

Well today was a good day!!! My alk is good 8.6, my calc is down now to 390, so I once again will start dosing. I also picked up a pair of ORA black Perc's, and a Zoo rock. Pics to come~!!!!

Hey hey!! Thanks for the great comments!

Yeah there is a bunch of zoo's. I count 5 different types too. they seem to be doing great, keeping their color and what not. The LFS seems to get these in abundance from the shipper they deal with. they usually are on tonga branch is large quantities. They literally glow under the actinic light. So I have had some concern over my two Clowns. The smaller one is doing great, eats, swims, normal behavior. The two of them have been together since I got them on Saturday. Today I get home and they are swimming at different locations. The small one is in the front right corner, the larger one in the back left corner out of view. It seems to be opening and closing it mouth a lot, and it seems to have a white dot through its rear tail fin. Ich maybe?? It sorta eats, not as actively as its mate. Any ideas??? :huh:

Those Aussie clowns are awesome! I wanted to try to get a black perc to go with my A. ocellaris that I have right now. I just need to find a really small one!

Archived