Cultivated Reef

Third Times the Charm

Seanfg89

From the pics, I agree with Amber. But they're all interesting and it would sort of depend on what kind of behavior you like. BTW, the first three are either sequential or simultaneous hermaphrodites...the odds are good that you'd get a pair if you got two fish...

--Diane

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh..... decisions decisions decisions.......

Well they won't ship out until beginning of next week so I have until then to decide. I didn't think I would be able to keep a fish in this tank but I've been testing my water pretty regularly and with a weekly gallon water change I think I can pull it off. Even more so since these possible fish are quite small and aren't messy eaters.

Thanks for the input everyone, I hope to have my new addition by middle of next week and will definately post pictures. Then I'll have to decide on a name....

On a side note, I had to frag three of my gorgonians because they were starting to touch. Would anyone be interested in them, I have one purple, one of the orange, and one yellow each at least 2.5 inches long with several branches. Just pay shipping and you can have them.

If only! I love gorgs but they don't do well in my tank. Yours must be very happy! Congrats!

--Diane

These are photosynthetic and are some of the easiest to care for. I'll tell you what, if you like, I will send them to you free of charge and if they do well then score for you, if not then its not big loss. I find it hard to believe anything could suffer in your tank considering how beautiful it is.

These are photosynthetic and are some of the easiest to care for. I'll tell you what, if you like, I will send them to you free of charge and if they do well then score for you, if not then its not big loss. I find it hard to believe anything could suffer in your tank considering how beautiful it is.

Aw, thank you so much!! But my tank is nutrient rich--I had a problem with diatoms eventually coating the one photosynthetic gorg I tried. At first my hermits climbed and cleaned it, but I think they eventually decided they didn't have to work so hard...<_<

"In my next tank..." Sigh--I find myself saying that a lot, lately! :P

In addition, I have to admit that my tank is filled to the gills. (So to speak!)

I'm amazed no one else has coveted your gorgs! IMO they are one of the most beautiful corals we can keep!

--Diane

I understand, when I first got my gorgs they would regulary shed a thin waxy layer that I learned is done to prevent a buildup of algae and slime. However they never do it anymore and I attribute it to my largest hermit crab or constantly climbs all over them cleaning them.

Looking at your tank pictures I know what you mean about it being filled, the colors in your tank are amazing and I am jealous.

Aw, thanks so much, but I MUCH prefer the looks of yours!

That's the funny thing--my gorg shed soon after I put it in the tank, but never seemed to again, even though, to me, it seemed as if shedding would easily solve its problems. If only my hermits had kept up their good work...It's possible I could use a few more of them--only two little hcs in a tank with lots of hc candy!

Well, that's how things go--I've learned to stick with what works well under my present conditions. I can usually get the less happy campers "rehomed," if only taken back by an lfs. I try to remove them before they waste away and die, though I have to admit I've lost a few things that way over the years as well--sigh.

(Thanks again for the kind words! :))

--Diane

• 4 weeks later...

I need help!!!! I was scraping the inside of the tank recently and I don't know how but I managed to scratch the inside of the tank BIG time. Being the perfectionist that I am I can stand looking at it and its driving me nuts. Whats the best way and/or product that will let me repair these scratches at home as easily as possible? I have no problem taking everything out of the tank as I was planning on doing that soon anyways, along with a 100% water change and most likely a little re-aquascaping to better arrange my corals.

Ok now even worse news, something happened and the joints of this tank are filling with bubbles and turning white. I need to get a new tank and want one just like this current design but made from glass instead of acrylic, can anyone recommend a place online that would make a custom tank such as this one but from glass? If push comes to shove I guess I could just buy a NC6 replacement tank as the design is very similar to this one and the tanks are all already made but I do really like the rimless look.

Edit: I ran through the costs and benefits and decided to just pick up a replacement JBJ NC6 tank (no hood,lights, or pump) and stick in a ~250gph pump. I like the look of the NC's, the 6g is very close in size to this current tank, and it will afford me an extra bit of space which is never a bad thing. Plus I've found I just can't do acrylic because of the amazing ability for it to scratch even when no one is near it :P . I might even be able to bring my Sunpod out of retirement and hang it over the tank if I put a piece or two of screen on top of the tank to de-intesify the light, I'm sure my Porites boulder would appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the NC6 tank got here yesterday and its now up and running with everything transfered over.

Mods to NC6:

I swapped the stock pump in the 3rd chamber with a MJ606 and drilled a hole in the ~middle (height wise) of the 2nd chamber and stuck a cheap powerhead there with the outlet in the hole for a littel more flow behind the rocks and straight into the center of the tank.

I'm going to run the tank with my 150w Sunpod w/ 14k Phoenix for a while and see how it works out. At first I thought it would be way to much light but it looks no different than when I had this light over my 10g so I hope it will work out well because I know everything in the tank would appreciate MH over CF. I can always put some screening inbetween the light and the tank and raise the light up by hanging it from the ceiling if I need to. A JBJ 12g is only ~2.5 inches taller than the 6G and people use 150w MH fixtures over 12g nanos all the time so it shouldn't be too intense as far as I can see.

The aquascape is semi-temporary, I hope to get a medium sized piece of lr to add to the left side of the rock work and then moving the gorgonians around on the left side but for right now everything is nice and stable. Also, I know I said when I started this tank I wanted to stay away from zoas but I can't help it, I plan on getting a nice bunch of different colors and splashing them all over the large open sandy area in the center.

P3010011.jpg

Anyways there is still some work to be done, I want to get a better powerhead for the 2nd chamber, give the inside of the tank a good wipe, and most likely hang the Sunpod from the ceiling. I also hope to purchase a Mantis Shrimp this coming week and let him have free reign over the tank.

Nicely done. What do you feed your gorgonians?

I don't need to feed them anything since they are photosynthetic but sometimes I feed the anemones meaty foods and I'm sure they pick up bits and pieces of that. I also sometimes feed the tank with phyto to keep the pods happy.

new tank looks nice. How are the temps with that light over it?

~82 Degrees. I think I'm going to hang the light and raise it up several more inches to help keep temp down, not that its too high now but just to be sure for those hot days down here in Florida.

Ok need some help now. With the MH light the temperature is starting to get over 85 degrees which is just way to high for me, I tried just using the 36w CF light I have but its just not enough light. I also tried raising the light even more from the top of the tank but then I might as well be using the CF light because it really cuts down on the amount of light penetrating into the deeper parts of the tank.

What are my alternatives for an easy to install (no drilling and extra plumbing requried), small, and somewhat cheap (hopefully less than $100) to drop my temperature by ~3-4 degrees? Would putting together two rows of 3 computer case fans and putting one on each side of the light (one over the rear chambers and one over the front of the tank) to blow air onto/away from the tank help at all?

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

i think that would really inrease your evap rates alot and you would def need to have an ato if you did that. However, it seems like your best bet if you intend on keeping that large amount of light over top of it. What did nanotuners have to offer for upgraded lighting on the nc6?

The most powerful light setup nanotuners or nanocustoms offered was 3.18w CF which wasn't that appealing because its not that much for my intents and purposes and because of the price tag.

I did get my fans set up yesterday and its working perfectly, the temperature is now a steady 80F and the evaporation is not nearly as bad as I thought or as everyone else's experiences lead me to believe. In fact, I haven't noticed that much a difference between the evap before the fans, and the evap after the fans. It could have something to do with the fact that I have the fans aimed to kidna blow out the hot air the light creates rather than blowing directly onto the water's surface. By using two fans I also was able to use less power for each one and get more even air flow across the top so that might play into it too.

Hey man! Glad to see you're up and running again! The corals you sold me are doing great! The zoas didn't make it for some reason but the rics, frogspawn and candycane are all doing fantastic! In fact the FSpawn is up to 8 heads with 6 new tiny heads near the base. The rics have split. and the candycane has doubled. Here is a FTS of mine. All the rics were the ones you sold me.

NanoDayDay108002.jpg

Hey man! Glad to see you're up and running again! The corals you sold me are doing great! The zoas didn't make it for some reason but the rics, frogspawn and candycane are all doing fantastic! In fact the FSpawn is up to 8 heads with 6 new tiny heads near the base. The rics have split. and the candycane has doubled. Here is a FTS of mine. All the rics were the ones you sold me.

NanoDayDay108002.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about the zoas but that frogspawn is insane now. Right before I shipped it to you, it had massive tissue recession and I thought it was a goner but then the day before I was going to mail it I realized the tissue receeded because it had made ~6-7 new buds on the base. The candy cane certainly looks like it did a bit of growing for you and no matter what I did, those rics would never split for me so you must be doing something right. I'm still amazed at the size of that frogspawn now.

:haha: I decided to pop in a LFS nearby to peruse and guess what I just got for $10. A perfectly sized, shaped, and healthy Orange Monti Cap. Its about the size of a tea cup saucer and is just perfect for my tank. Plating montis are pretty common around the keys but come in darker shades of orange/brown and green, but seeing as how collecting a true Florida Motni would be next to impossible, this is a great alternative.

10 freaking dollars for one of the most perfect Monti caps I've ever seen in a LFS....when will they learn it is stupid to have the bargain racks on the bottom where everything from the top racks can fall onto it :haha:

:haha: I decided to pop in a LFS nearby to peruse and guess what I just got for $10. A perfectly sized, shaped, and healthy Orange Monti Cap. Its about the size of a tea cup saucer and is just perfect for my tank. Plating montis are pretty common around the keys but come in darker shades of orange/brown and green, but seeing as how collecting a true Florida Motni would be next to impossible, this is a great alternative.

10 freaking dollars for one of the most perfect Monti caps I've ever seen in a LFS....when will they learn it is stupid to have the bargain racks on the bottom where everything from the top racks can fall onto it :haha:

GEES DUDE!! NICE SCORE!

Fans seem like they're working pretty well for you then. Have you considered downgrading to a 70w MH system + the fans?

The fans are working PERFECTLY, the temperature stays at 80 degrees all day and all night and the fans aren't even running at 80% speed. I don't think I'll downgrade to a 70w because I don't want to buy a new fixture ( I know I'm cheap :P ) and so far everything loves the 150w and nothing has shown any signs of bleaching. Plus I love my Phoenix 14k bulb and they don't make a 70w model as far as I know.

Heres a picture of the monti while I prep'ed the area I wanted it to go into and while I measured it to give a sense of scale. It came mounted on a quarter sized and shaped piece of rock but I couldn't mount it on my rock just from that so I took a long LEGO rectangle piece, glued the monti to one end of that, and then stuck the empty end into the rock. The weight of the monti pushes the other end of the LEGO up into the rock keeping it nice and steady.

P3060011.jpg

The fans are working PERFECTLY, the temperature stays at 80 degrees all day and all night and the fans aren't even running at 80% speed. I don't think I'll downgrade to a 70w because I don't want to buy a new fixture ( I know I'm cheap :P ) and so far everything loves the 150w and nothing has shown any signs of bleaching. Plus I love my Phoenix 14k bulb and they don't make a 70w model as far as I know.

Heres a picture of the monti while I prep'ed the area I wanted it to go into and while I measured it to give a sense of scale. It came mounted on a quarter sized and shaped piece of rock but I couldn't mount it on my rock just from that so I took a long LEGO rectangle piece, glued the monti to one end of that, and then stuck the empty end into the rock. The weight of the monti pushes the other end of the LEGO up into the rock keeping it nice and steady.

P3060011.jpg

no, they don't make a 70w 14k :(

but I'll trade you my 70w Sunpod for your 150w :lol:

ok, so seriously - thats a really nice monti colony

Its the perfect size for my smaller tank and I consider it my showpiece now. I just can't get over it, before the guy at the LFS picked it out of the tank to bag it, he moved a bunch of other frags to the higher racks from the bargain rack. Him and the other guy working there did not look to happy about having to sell it for only $10 :D , buy hey, when you arrange things according to price you have to live up to what you advertise.

:angry: <---- Mad face because the frag pack I ordered from Alti's Reef didn't arrive today even though it was shipped yesterday by the cutoff time and shipped Overnight Express. I was hoping to at least have those in the tank by today so I could do a nice picture heavy update for tomorrow....

I have a suggestion if you don't like the way your sunpod hangs over your tank. I just built a glass cube (14") for my mantis and needed to use a sunpod to match my other tanks. I took a 20" sunpod (with 150mh) and cut it down to 13". You have to to some creative rearranging inside, but once the end caps are on, it looks like it came from the factory. You may have to lose the LED's depending on how much you cut out of it.

You have a firefish and a sixline in a 4 gallon tank?

Archived