Pod Your Reef

Third Times the Charm

Seanfg89

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nothing special" ? Those are great! The shots of the 'nems with their gaping mouths remind me of the space/time warp, with an inexorable descent into a black hole... :D

Beautiful shots of your gorgs as well!

--Diane

Any updates?

Care to share some info bout them flower nems?

Im thinking about getting one but i want to hear what some one with personal experience has to say about them.

Thanks for the comments and if you want an update, you got it.

Unfortuntely, trying to obtain a healthy mantis specimen has proven too difficult, between trying to get a confirmed Havenensis or Wennerae and trying to get one that is alive and kicking (pun intended), I just feel its not worth it anymore.

Therefore, I've decided to go with a more well rounded invert selection. I just picked up a small Sally Light Foot Crab and a small Peppermint Shrimp and I intend on possibly getting a Pederson (sp?) Anemone shrimp to live in one of my flower anemones and also some red and green mihtrax crabs.

My gorgonians are really starting to grow and a patch of porites has shown up literally out of nowhere. Talk about luck, of all the hitchikers possible I get one that fits in with my biotope perfectly. I've also had a copepod explosion and this has got to be one of, if not the cleanest tank I've ever kept.

Jonny to Cool : I really love my flower anemones. They are cheap, photosynthetic, readily accept any meaty food, do not wander other than to get their foot set down into the sand or into the rock crevice, have a relatively weak sting (doesn't cause problems with most other tank mates or my poor hands), and to top it off they are beautiful and the varities are nearly limitless. If you are looking into getting some I highly reccomend sealifeinc.net, the quality, prices, variety, and customer service are second to none.

wow. this tank looks inredible already. great job this time (and last time on the 10g as well). I had to move your six line (henry?) back to my roommates tank because my pseudochromis has gotten relentless now that he has been by himself for a week or two. He's back to hunting pods all day and happy as a lark.

wow. this tank looks inredible already. great job this time (and last time on the 10g as well). I had to move your six line (henry?) back to my roommates tank because my pseudochromis has gotten relentless now that he has been by himself for a week or two. He's back to hunting pods all day and happy as a lark.

Pam......her name is Pam :P . The firefish was Andy. Although I did have an Uncle Henry so whatever floats your boat. She always made sure I didn't have a decent pod population in the 10g so she must really be pigging out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok time for a little update. MitchOldSchoolReef here at N-R.com managed to procure some Florida stony corals and gave me an excellant deal on them. These are some of the single most difficult corals to obtain legally due to their highly protected state and are not something often seen outside research tanks and aquaculture facilities. I don't have exact species names yet so if anyone can help me out with that I would appreciate it.

Please ignore the chopsticks I lifted from P.F. Chang's, I'm using them to corral some anemones away from these new corals and get them to move higher up onto the rocks so I can rearrange the stony corals on the sand. The other stony coral is to the right of the Purple Plume gorgonian.

PC150001.jpg

Okay, I'm lousy at coral ID, but something about your first pic reminds me of Madracis. I first became aware of this genus when Mr. Fosi rec'd it as a hitcher... some threads:

The pic that started the Madracis research:

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?...0c70a782#448475

Mr. Fosi's first ID thread about them:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...dracis&st=0

A post with some pics of Mr. Fosi's Madracis more recently:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=1372931

The polyps sure look similar to me. Not sure about the skeletal structure, though...

--Diane

PS: LOVE the 12/15 fts!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright folks, its late and I'm bored so time for an update.

All the stony corals I recieved from MitchOldSchoolReef have completely recovered from bleaching and are really doing well. I also managed to obtain an i.d. for the branching coral, it is evidently a branching Oculina varicosa and is an Atlantic non-reef building coral. It also has the ability to exist as either a complete filter feeder or as a photosynthetic feeder.

During one weekly water change I up-ed the flow limiter on the pump to put out more flow and everything sways in the current now and they seem to really be liking it. The gorgonians are growing pretty steadily and my news zoas are really starting to take hold and bud off. The flower anemones did a little rearranging after I increased the flow and one moved all the way up the top of the rock work while another wedged instelf between the rock and the acrylic.

My peppermint shrimp unfortunately appears to have persihed and I am unable to figure out why but it is safe to assume that cuc had a feast as there are bits and pieces of exoskeleton drifting about. The porcelain and mithrax crab however are doing great and scurry about everywhere eating whatever they can find.

I hope to have some new pictures up by tomorrow and thank you everyone for the praise, I put a lot of work into this and I think it shows.

Yellow Sea Whip

P1100013.jpg

Flower Anemone that decided to move to the top of the rocks.

P1100012.jpg

Florida Tube/Cup Coral

P1100008.jpg

Green Flower Anemone

P1100003.jpg

Macro-shot of Gorgonian Polyps

P1100001.jpg

Baby Rock Anemone

P1100004.jpg

Nice looking tank.

I'm asking around for people to post their experiences with the Emerald Crab. There are split opinions. How do you feel about yours?

B.

OH, I also see that you have a 6 line wrasse. Great. I'm considering getting one as well. Is yours friendly to the inhabitants. Can you write more about it?

Thanks.

B

I really like mine, he's always out and about, does a good job of keeping the algae trimmed, and hasn't touched a single one of my other inverts (in the sense that he wanted to eat it, he does however clean my zoas, gorgs, and anemones when they're closed up). I think it's luck of the draw, sometimes you'll get a real monster and other times you'll get a saint. Then again, all crabs are opportunistic feeders and given the right circumstances I don't see why he wouldn't change his behavior for the worst.

Also, mine is a Red Mithrax crab so I don't know if they are any different behaviorly from Green Mithrax Crabs.

Nice biotope! Should have stopped in this thread sooner (glad you pointed it out in the general discussion thread).

That's a pretty good anemone collection you've got there too :)

Thanks, the best part is they are dirt cheap. I spent a grand total of $25 on the Flower anemones and $10 on the Rock anemones. They also don't sting other corals or inverts as far as I can tell but they are VERY sticky and have ripped off a crab claw here and there.

On a side note, your new biotope tank looks incredible and you are one lucky son of a gun to have gotten a hold of so many mini-carpets.

Klarion, I no longer have the Six-Line but from when I had her, she was incredibly friendly to my other fish (a firefish which are known for being jumpy and skittish, and a pair of clowns). They do like their swimming room though and love lots of caves and holes in the rock work to weave in and out of.

Thanks, the best part is they are dirt cheap. I spent a grand total of $25 on the Flower anemones and $10 on the Rock anemones. They also don't sting other corals or inverts as far as I can tell but they are VERY sticky and have ripped off a crab claw here and there.

On a side note, your new biotope tank looks incredible and you are one lucky son of a gun to have gotten a hold of so many mini-carpets.

Very true - some good benefits to the flower and rock nems, and they're quite pretty for their price tag as well. Amber has always loved them, so I imagine she'll get a tank full of them one day since she's let me have my anemone tank. In the meantime, I'll make her stare at your thread! :)

Thanks for the compliments! To be honest, it was mainly strong arm tactics - I offered to buy them all from everyone who came along and got lucky - one guy getting out of the hobby (or at least starting to hate mini carpets), one building a 400g tank and about to have a baby. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get into the money pit they've become! :lol:

PB260008.jpg

Daniel--Look its the anem I bought the other day from the pet store that had it in a 2gal tank. :o

Seanfg89--from the pics I've seen I love your tank. I noticed you said they where sticky as well, do you think if I found one here in KY it would be alright in my tank with my sexy shrimp and my pistol shrimp? I have the one I bought already but its in MD :(. Need one here to keep the fix going. :)

Daniel--Look its the anem I bought the other day from the pet store that had it in a 2gal tank. :o

Seanfg89--from the pics I've seen I love your tank. I noticed you said they where sticky as well, do you think if I found one here in KY it would be alright in my tank with my sexy shrimp and my pistol shrimp? I have the one I bought already but its in MD :(. Need one here to keep the fix going. :)

:lol: Didn't even have to point out the thread!

Thats actually an old pic of that particular anemone, he now sits at the very top of the top and the blue is much more vibrant.

When my peppermint shrimp was alive, it had no problem pulling away from anemones simply because its legs are so thin that the anemone couldn't get enough tentacles to grab on. Now sometimes a hermit wanders too close and the anemone grabs on the its shell and pulls the little guy up leaving him flailing about mid air but lets him go after a couple minutes. I don't think you should have a problem at all in fact, I want to get a Pederson (sp?) Anemones shrimp common in the Florida/Caribbean area in the hopes it will live in one of my anemones.

I like the rusty best of those myself, with the saddle blenny coming in second.

Ooooo I like the first one, the Bridled Goby. Its so cute and has so much character. :)

Archived