SaltCritters.com

My 5.5g pico with built in Fuge

Sandeep

The T5 HO fixture has not caused any increase in temperature over my previous PC fixture. I also like it's low profile. The only con is that Current USA are the only folks making T5 HO tubes this small, so when it comes time for replacement, you will have only one source.

The digital thermometers were only $5 from The Source (formerly Radio Shack). Just be aware that almost all digital thermometers are usually way off from the actual temp, I use a mercury lab thermometer to calibrate all my digitals. This one in the pico is off by 3 degrees F. See my post on thermometers here.

Another inspiration, I'm beginning my version of your SAIO! Got everything but the acrylic, gonna pick it up today, I will post pictures in my own thread, just figured I'd let you know since I saw yours I've become obsessed, mu only downfall is my 8inch coralife PC lights, I need something bigger I think! I just don't have the $100 for a bigger T-5 option or longer hood for my 5.5!

OK so NEVERMIND! I went and got a nice little glass top cut, worked perfect and cost $1.60!

I then got some plexi and cut out templates and then the plexi, as I was fitting it, the entire side of the tank cracked :angry:

There was a slight bow in the plexi and I was trying to figure out where to shave it a little and boom, the force must have been too much and cracked the brand new 5.5 AGA, so I'm pretty pissed off right now, but I just wanted to share so anyone attempting this build doesn't do the same mistake. I think I'm just gonna scrap the idea! Good luck to the rest of you.

Nano-technology
OK so NEVERMIND! I went and got a nice little glass top cut, worked perfect and cost $1.60!

I then got some plexi and cut out templates and then the plexi, as I was fitting it, the entire side of the tank cracked :angry:

There was a slight bow in the plexi and I was trying to figure out where to shave it a little and boom, the force must have been too much and cracked the brand new 5.5 AGA, so I'm pretty pissed off right now, but I just wanted to share so anyone attempting this build doesn't do the same mistake. I think I'm just gonna scrap the idea! Good luck to the rest of you.

wow, sorry to hear that. i've been following along everyone's tank builds. Made my own too. Now it's just waiting on my desk, tested and waiting for some live rock.

• 2 weeks later...
jedihunter2983
I've added a sponge to the intake of the Maxi-Jet 400 as I noticed some plant matter from the culpera was sticking to it. The key to good water quality is really the weekly water changes which you need to keep up with religiously and not over feeding the tank. I feed the tank twice a week, once DT phytoplankton and once mysis or Cyclopleeze.

It's my understanding that crabs live in quite high densities in the wild. So far I have not noticed any hostilities between the two porcelain crabs, the emerald crab and the skunk cleaner shrimp. I don't think it would be an issue to add another filter feeding decorative crab to your tank.

No plans to add any major additions in terms or corals, it will be more interesting to see how things grow out while maintaining a coral island in the middle of the tank rather than stacking up and creating a large coral rock wall against the back. I just did add a small rock with yellow polyps and am currently fighting with the xenia to grow along the back ridge of the coral island rather than it's attempt to creep to the front.

first off i love your build and i have been checking out a lot of members setups since i joined nr i want to set up a 20 gall with a 10 gall sump but my wife thinks its to expensive right now. but im dying to have some sort of nano reef. i was wondering how much do you think iit would cost to set up somthing simmalar to yours or maybe a 10 gall. keep in mind i am starting from scratch and only have a empty 10 gall and some plexiglass lying around. i would appreciate the help in getting my wife to go along with this project.

wannenmacher

love the tank setting up a similar 5.5 gallon. i built a stand and hood i also built a corner peice to fit over the fuge area. i have not filled the tank with water or rock yet though. i put in a 32 watt retrofit kit at drfosterandsmith that fits perfectly in my hood

p.s sry for any spelling errors

Edited by wannenmacher

Jedi you don't have to go the complex sump route with a 20 gallon. I have a thriving LPS dominated 20 gallon which is pretty simple with just one protein skimmer, one additional Maxi-Jet 900 power head and two T5-HO dual tube fixtures, see the link in my signature below for details on that tank.

Otherwise if you are going to go with the 10g, principles are pretty much the same as my 5.5g pico except I would substitute a Maxi-Jet 900 for the Maxi-Jet 400 that I used in the 5.5g design. Also the 18" T5-HO fixture that I used would work well with a 10g tank dimensions. You should be able to price everything you need online.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sandeep,

Thanks for posting the information and all of the updates. That's a great looking tank. Both the design and husbandry seem to be spot on, as well as your artistic eye.

I'm thinking of building something very similar using a 10 gallon tank. If you were to do this again, is there anything you would do differently to improve on your original design?

thanks,

hank

Ok I always have gotten the impression you must go with expensive Metal Halide setups to keep anything. 36 watts for your small tank and all that is in there is fine? Do you have to replace stuff often? How long has that all been in there? Its such a great looking tank for being so simple!

Also what are the air temps like around the tank? Does the room temp change a lot? How does that affect the tank temp?

Thanks.

If I was doing the tank again, or doing it on a bigger scale like a 10g, the only thing I think I would do different is research what the best adhesive is for bonding the acrylic pieces to the glass walls. So far it's fine, but I used regular aquarium silicone, there may be a better adhesive to use. Also I would make the intake slots even longer to let more water into the sump/refugium at a faster rate.

Everything in the tank has been just fine with my 18" T5-HO Current USA fixture - it's energy efficient and does not heat up the tank like halides, what more could you ask for. My tanks are in the basement so it's a very thermally stable environment. Normally temps have been stable around 78-80F, in the last month with the heat they have been 80F-82F which should start to go back down in Sept once it cools down.

Gluing acrylic to glass works best with silicone adhesive. Not always easy to find but Menards carries it. Looks, feels and smells like silicone sealant but works much better than sealant when gluing acrylic to glass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice set-up I must say. A great way to keep the viewing side of the tank clean as possible with no equipment hanging around.

I have been out of the Nano SW hobby for a few years and I am way impressed on how things have progressed!

I was running a 7g mini bow at home w 2x36w pcs and then started a office tank which at first was a .75g pico which in turn moved to a 2.5 aga pico with a 2x9w pcs. I loved both tanks and as the hobby grew on me so did my tank size's. I ditched the 7g mini bow for a 15g Long which I retro-ed in 2x36w pc's and a 70w mh... and then it grew again to a 75g w a complete sump-room running about 400g's!!! LOL

I was way over my head and had some tank issues and dropped the hobby before my second child was born...

Now I have changed jobs and the bug has bitten me again... i have been approved to have a tank at my desk! Sah-Weet!

I logged in here and started to look around at what's been going on since I left the hobby.... and wow I find this thread via a few others that have copied what you have made via RC Danoreef. I am very excited to see a neat and tidy little desktop tank that has no real visible equipment in the viewing area and losing HOB filter is a huge plus for me since I dont want any kind of possibility for water to leak out due to equipment failure. I had about 40g's end up in my living room floor and basement one night... DOH!

I am gonna start with set-up just like yours at the beginning... I have left over stuff from my reef days and started to dig through the boxes and found I had a Coralife mini reef lamp 2x9w and a few small PH's, HOB filter and a mini thermometer I had in my 2.5 pico.

So with what I have on hand all I need to do is buy a 5.5g aga and new powerhead and some acrylic to make the baffles... I plan on using my existing lamp for now to keep the costs down as i start the tank off... need to go and get some nice LR and sand as well since I dont have any other tanks at this time t pull from. Once its off the ground and looks like its doing well I might move up to the dual 18w T5's so i could maybe keep a few small pieces of SPS.

Thanks for the great thread and wonderful pictures of your little tank!

Edited by rck