Cultivated Reef

My 5.5g pico with built in Fuge

Sandeep

Latest updated image of the tank.

I moved the blasto to the ground and the zoas into the coral island. The xenias seem to be thriving and growing larger and the blue mushroom now has three babies.

PicoMar8_08a.jpg

I will look in to the tubular light stand however that light belongs on top of my 10G nano! I am ordering the Satellite from Current USA as you have done. I really like your setup and that was my sole reason for constructing my own. I think all my tanks (beside the 150) will have a false wall eventually..ha!
Sandeep, you have inspired me to build a setup like yours. I used a 5.5 AGA tank and went from there. Thanks for the inspiration! Your island is beautiful. I am working on an ATO and kalk dripper at the moment.

coralifeyt7.jpg

-Ray

I know this was a long time ago but I just saw this picture. I have the same fixture that I modded to use on my 5.5 gal. All I did was unscrew the end and dremel off a good chunk and screwed the end back on. Was pretty easy and it looked great I thought.

here's what it looked like over my 5.5

DSCN0116.jpg

BKtomodachi

I think the original inspiration for this type of tank has had a crash! I think I read on RC, but I cant find the thread now, that the bottom of his 5.5 cracked out.

I Ate A Cake

Well that's not good. :huh:

Anyway, I have decided to use your design on my 10 gallon tank. I will probably do it on the side like yours. Eggcrate, Chaeto, LR Rubble (maybe sand too) in the first chamber, with more LR rubble (again, sand maybe too) heater and this water pump: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...amp;pcatid=8164 . I will also have a Korialla Powerhead 1 for extra flow.

It was the tank by danoreef who was inspired by mine to build his. Not sure why his tank cracked.

I think the original inspiration for this type of tank has had a crash! I think I read on RC, but I cant find the thread now, that the bottom of his 5.5 cracked out.
Latest updated image of the tank.

I moved the blasto to the ground and the zoas into the coral island. The xenias seem to be thriving and growing larger and the blue mushroom now has three babies.

PicoMar8_08a.jpg

Very lovely. Love the tank.

Beauty der1311, the light fits perfectly now that you cut it down to size. Might want to reduce the amount of sand a bit.

I'm using a MJ900. It blew all the sand to the front so it looks full. I'm just using this to turn dead rock into live so I'm not too worried about things like that.

Edited by der1311

On a 5.5g you would probably be better off with the Current USA 18wx2 PC fixture over the 18w single bulb fixture. Better than both of these is the new Current USA 18" T5-HO fixture, which will be much brighter.

See http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_novaXtreme2.htm

The Porcelain Crabs are filter feeders who will also eat algea. A weekly dose of some phytoplankton keeps them happy in my tank.

No downside other than Current USA are the only ones making the tubes as they are the smallest T5-HO tubes to date.

I had a chance to try the light on a 5.5 AGA at the LFS to see what the overhang looked like and it was hardly noticeable.

This T5-HO fixture is definitely going to be my next light for the tank. Not only will it be brighter than the PC bulbs but it's length means that it will also be able to provide direct top down lighting to the macro-algea in the refugium which currently is only receiving directional side lighting through the transparent partition wall from the 12" fixture over the main display tank.

tarajean0627

I am interested in this as well and I will say I agree that the T5's are better but I also like the lunar light. If you were to get the T5's does anyone have a suggestion on how to mod it or add a lunar light or do they make one with a lunar light. I know it probably is only for looks but I love that. I am trying to convince my husband to let me do this system with a 10 gallon we have in the attic so any help on prices and best equipment would be helpful. :) I love this thread!