ReefCleaners.org

10 Gal Prop Tank (new aussie acans)

phases

Well I haven't updated in a while. Between work and my new 75 I don't have much free time. But, I picked up some frags I have to show off.

micro.jpg

This is my favorite piece I've ever had.

sweetmicro.jpg

(and TJ I promise I'll have a decent pic of your frag for you tomorrow)

Spill the beans! Where did you find those?

Something like that would look awesome next to my two psychotic looking Aussie Acans and army of Japanese micros. Not so much my other Acans though.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like I gotta move to Canada.

I even know some of the anthem:

"Oh Canada....hmm hmmm hmmmmmmm"

that's good enough right?

I want one too! I love those crazy canooks!! ;)

Seriuosly though, that rainbow colored piece is awesome!!

Looks like I gotta move to Canada.

I even know some of the anthem:

"Oh Canada....hmm hmmm hmmmmmmm"

that's good enough right?

Oh sorry, one word shot of a free frag. :lol:

I want one too! I love those crazy canooks!! ;)

Seriuosly though, that rainbow colored piece is awesome!!

It is indeed. Its worth being called a canook for. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been battleing a phosphate issue lately. Unfortunately the only victims were the two glorious micros from my previous post. May they rest in peace. The levels are getting much better and I think things are gonna be just fine. While picking up the phosban reactor for the tank I couldn't resist two steals that went into another tank of mine. I got a 12 headed Blasto wellsi for $20 and a ric rock with 20 shrooms for $40. I think I did pretty well. Pics are hard as they aren't in the best viewing positions but once I move them into the frag I'll post some pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my phosphate is under control now which is a huge relief. I also just picked up this piece and have to show if off. This is the coolest colouration I've ever seen in an echinata.

tealechinata.jpg

Amazing piece!! What a great find.

Thanks. The best part is its also the biggest puffiest one I've ever had too, at least 10".

agreed.

That makes three of us. :)

• 1 month later...

Well between work and the 75 the prop hasn't had much attention lately. With the 75 cycling I've got some time to do up the prop how I want it. The plan is to have a ten gal plumbed to a ten gal sump. One on top of the other. The top tank will have only a three tiered frag rack all other equipment will be in the sump. Here are some diagrams.

tanksketch.jpg

sumpsketch.jpg

The overflow is going to be as quiet as possible. It is inspired by TJ Burton's frag overflow. Water flows under the cap then into the elbow, then the durso and into the sump. The tank is in my bedroom so hopefully it will be really quiet.

overflow1.jpg

overflow2.jpg

drainline.jpg

The return is going to feed a spraybar as shown above. I am going to include a check valve so there will be no back siphon. Next I am going to get the bulkhead installed and the baffles siliconed for the sump. Then I will be ready for the transfer.

petkingdom619

I see you have some really nice acans..do you let your bigger acans grow out on there own or are they mounted to anything?

I see you have some really nice acans..do you let your bigger acans grow out on there own or are they mounted to anything?

All my acans in this tank are grown from 1-2 polyp frags. I target feed each individual polyp at least once a week. I mount them on curved rocks so that there isn't a break between the skeleton. This way the tissue can encrust to the mount once the tissue starts to grow and spread. I've found that if there isn't an easy place for the frag to encrust to, growth is minimal, even with lots of feedings.

petkingdom619

yea that is what I was noticing with mine. The ones on the frag disc grow out faster and the one just cut with a small piece of rock are a little slower. I was thinking of trying to find some kind of marble tile and let them grow out on that.

Very Cool. Do you need a sump for a frag tanks. JW.

No you don't need one. However all the equipment in this tank takes away from the little space a ten gallon has. As the posts above show I will be adding a sump in the near future and moving all equpment there to create more space for frags.

Do you have a bunch of snails. I imagine that with the lighting algae builds up pretty fast-on the frags and the eggcrate.

Actually not really. I have 2 nassarius, 1 nerite and 3 astreas and hitchhiking stomatella. I keep up with water changes, run ROWAphos and have a tunze 9002 for skimming, so nutrient levels stay pretty low.

I will say that I LOVE the stomatellas. They breed like rabbits and do a great job at keeping the tank clean.

• 2 months later...

Archived