Pod Your Reef

H20's Nano-Reef AquaPod 24

H20

spanko, I think when I zip tied the tube from the stock pump to the MJ, it might not been to tight. Will buy new tube and see how that works out.

I am not sure if this matters, but I used a pair of pliers to pull the ziptie as tight as I could get it. I used a flat head screwdriver against the ziptie 'head' and pushed against it with that screwdriver, and pulled the 'tie' end with a pair of pliers as tight as I could get it, pushing and pulling against each other to make it slide tightly closed. Worked perfectly for me, and I have not seen any issues with it.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DogfoodEnforcer
I think that is the part the has been the most beneficial to me with the HOT Magnum. Using it after water changes. If you use a turkey baster to blow the rocks off, you can siphon out as much junk as you can, but there is still lots of small/tiny debris left floating in the water after you are done siphoning out the % of water you are removing for your water change. Normally, your filter would eventually catch most of it, but, that kinda stinks as you may have just changed your filter media, and now you are giving it lots of stuff to have to catch again. I run the Magnum for about an hour with the filter pump in the back still turned off, the Magnum cleans up all the water, then I take it out, and turn the rear filter on again once the water is clear.

+1 for the magnum HOB!! that's what i used when i first added my substrate (super cloudy) and after the only water change ive done so far. its a great HOB filter, especially with the micron filter!!

NEW FISH:

I have been trying to be patient in adding fish to my tank. This is only the second fish that I have added to my tank, in the first few months. He is a very tiny guy, a Yellow Clown Goby, and will not get much longer than an inch or so. The first couple of days that I added him to the tank, he just hid out on top of my chaeto holder. But now, he has left that spot and hangs out on the rocks, perching here and there, and I saw him once on my Trumpet Coral. I have noticed at night under the LED moonlights, that he loves to swim all around, and get blown around by the powerheads, like he is surfing. I have seen him nibble at food here and there, so it seems that he is eating. He and my Tail Spot Blenny seem to get along fine, and they sometimes hang out together. He seems like a good fish so far.

Tail Spot Blenny and YCG hanging out together: - (pay no mind to the pitiful looking Acan frag between them, it actually is recovering quite nicely. It has 4 heads on it on the other side)

IMG_0099.jpg

YCG perching on a rock looking for food to drift by: (you can see his small size compared next to a snail)

IMG_0109-1.jpg

YCG hiding on chaeto his first day in the tank:

IMG_0076.jpg

Great looking fish! What's funny is I stopped by my LFS this morning on my way to work and they had a bunch of these YCGs. I would have picked one up if I wasn't heading to work.

After a lot of contemplating I also decided to re-aqua scape before I get any more livestock. I am much happier with the setup now, I have more reality for corals now.

I wanted to ask you about your pep shrimp too...I never see mine! Last night was the first time I saw him since I put him in the tank. Does yours have the same behavior, always hiding?

Great looking fish! What's funny is I stopped by my LFS this morning on my way to work and they had a bunch of these YCGs. I would have picked one up if I wasn't heading to work.

After a lot of contemplating I also decided to re-aqua scape before I get any more livestock. I am much happier with the setup now, I have more reality for corals now.

I wanted to ask you about your pep shrimp too...I never see mine! Last night was the first time I saw him since I put him in the tank. Does yours have the same behavior, always hiding?

Yes, I never see him. He may venture out during the day for a few seconds to examine something that he may be curious about, but he mostly hides out in a 'cave' that he has made in and under one of my rocks. He is very active at night under the LED moonlights. He runs all over the tank, and swims around, and is very nocturnal. I am thinking about naming him Dracula, or The Count, as he hides in caves all day, and comes out for action at night. :D

Just butting in here but when I had mine, went back to the LFS for store credit, I would very rarely see him except when I tried to feed the coral that needed target feeding. Then he was all over them. If you look after lights out you should see him cruising around also.

Awesome YCG, I have not seen them in person at any LFS as of yet. My first attempt at corals happened yesterday, a teeny tiny Superman monti frag and a Xenia. Hope they survive.. I will definately get a goby of some sort, still deciding. Your fish look great, did you get them from LFS or order them online?

Awesome YCG, I have not seen them in person at any LFS as of yet. My first attempt at corals happened yesterday, a teeny tiny Superman monti frag and a Xenia. Hope they survive.. I will definately get a goby of some sort, still deciding. Your fish look great, did you get them from LFS or order them online?

I got my YCG from a LFS that I really trust. Most of my corals have come from reputable online vendors.

Life and death are balanced on the edge of a razor. ~Homer, Iliad

I have only had my Nassarius snails in the tank for less than a week. I was watching one of them climb on top of my live rock today, and thought that was strange, as they mostly stay buried in the sand. When it turned around, I saw that there had been a murder in my tank. Apparently, one of my Dwarf Blue leg hermits needed a new larger home, and decided to assassinate one of Nassarius for his shell. That puzzled me as I have several sizes of empty shells lying about for them to move into as they grow. I guess he liked the Nassarius's better.

Here is a photo ID of the killer:

IMG_0130.jpg

I see that my Yellow Clown Goby seems to be watching his back.... :lol:

DogfoodEnforcer

nice new addition (YCG)!

when i attached the tubing to my MJ900s i didnt use a zip tie...uh oh :(

i have microbubbles, but its a brand new tank and has a brand new skimmer going on it, so i expect the bubbles for a bit i think..

nice new addition (YCG)!

when i attached the tubing to my MJ900s i didnt use a zip tie...uh oh :(

i have microbubbles, but its a brand new tank and has a brand new skimmer going on it, so i expect the bubbles for a bit i think..

I think the MJ900 may have a different sized nozzle than the 1200, but I could be wrong. You should be fine.

I think it's very possible that your Nassarius died for some other reason and then the hc took advantage of the shell...

--Diane

Very good point Diane. The snails had been in less than a week, and one of them might not have made the transition.

I think it's very possible that your Nassarius died for some other reason and then the hc took advantage of the shell...

--Diane

I would lean towards murder ... I have had hermits kill snails just to get the shells, then a few days later abandon those shells!

Tank looks great. YCG's are fascinating fish for their small size.

I had two astreas die since I got them. Not murder though, they were turned upside down and the emerald crab got one and a hermit got the other one, hermit is sporting a new home.

True Blue

New Addition! I have been looking for some of these, some blue zoanthus, and finally came across some. Gives the tank another splash of color. :)

bluezoos.jpg

True Blue

New Addition! I have been looking for some of these, some blue zoanthus, and finally came across some. Gives the tank another splash of color. :)

bluezoos.jpg

they look awsome, cant wait to see em grow out B), have a new FTS yet?

I love the new blue zoas. I actually just bought my fiirst zoas from the local fish store. I got some green dragon eyes, awesome. I love my new zoas so much I been looking online for some more exotic ones. I dont know if anyone has any experience with www.zomania.com but they have a really nice selection!

I love the new blue zoas. I actually just bought my fiirst zoas from the local fish store. I got some green dragon eyes, awesome. I love my new zoas so much I been looking online for some more exotic ones. I dont know if anyone has any experience with www.zomania.com but they have a really nice selection!

I have never used these guys, but they have some amazing looking colored zoa's on their website.

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Browse.asp...brates%3APolyps

A new Acan:

Picked up a new Acan Lord a few days ago, and its coloring is purple and green. It has about 10 heads on it, and has several new smaller ones starting to grow. I feed my two acans mysis shrimp, and they seem to love it. The tentacles come out and grab the shrimp, and it all encloses into the mouth to eat it. Very interesting to watch. I have both of my acan frags up high on the rocks, as they seem to like more light. The first acan frag that I bought about a month ago, I moved it around to low light and high light, low flow and high flow, and I found that when it was in the low light on the substrate, its flesh started to receded and started to die. I was not target feeding it at the time either. I found that moving it up into higher light, and target feeding it some meaty items (shrimp, cyclop-eeze) it started to recover and its doing well now, and even growing a new little head.

The new green and purple Acan Lord:

IMG_0161.jpg

Archived