Top Shelf Aquatics

Grandegixxer's 40 Breeder Frag Tank

GrandeGixxer

GrandeGixxer

Large water change last night. I was losing a mille colony due to low alkalinity. It was around 5-6 dkh. Doh, I guess kalk is not enough. I need to get a calcium reactor soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GrandeGixxer

I got a new fish yesterday; a Marble Wrasse. He is wrasse-tacular. He is in hiding though, so I can't get a picture. I will take one when he is out and about.

GrandeGixxer

OK, here are a couple of really bad pictures of him. Sorry they are so blue, the halide is taking a break.

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02149.jpg

DSC02148.jpg

I am still light acclimating everything since I went to the 400. It runs 2.5 hours, then off for an hour and then on for another 2.5 hours right now. I am going to ramp it up some more this weekend.

GrandeGixxer

I am looking for the right deal on a Calcium Reactor still. I really don't want to drop $400- $600 on a new one.

• 2 weeks later...
GrandeGixxer

Well, the new wrasse didn't make it. I haven't seen him in over a week. :( I am not sure what happened, I didn't see any aggression towards him.

GrandeGixxer

Thanks. This tank is going to get torn down next May when I move. This was the last attempt at putting another fish in. I am happy with the fish I have, so I will leave it at that. I will try to get some new pictures up within the next couple of days.

GrandeGixxer

I just swapped out the bulb from a Refflux 10k to an XM 10k. I don't like the coloration, but the growth explosion has already started.

I have redbugs. I am going to dose interceptor next week. It has started to hurt a couple of my acros, others don't seem to care too much. I have had them for a while, but just recently they have started to spread onto more corals. It sucks, but thats life without quarantine.

GrandeGixxer

Yeah, I am going to do it on Saturday. I hope for the best. I bought a couple small acro colonies last night. I just want to do the 3 treatments and be done with it. So I think I am done buying SPS. :o

GrandeGixxer

I did the first of 3 interceptor treatments last night. The corals that had red bugs have none today! I missed a few hermit crabs it appears, they are dead on the sand today. :( My emerald crab is still alive and kickin though. I will be doing another treatment next Saturday and then a large water change. I will then do another treatment 2 weeks from then and another large water change. After that, I should be ok to put my crabs back in and re seed my fuge and sand. I set up a 10 gallon and put some fuge sand, cheato, and most of my crabs in it. I also put the baby clowns in there. Everything looks to be doing ok in the main tank and the quarantine.

GrandeGixxer

2nd interceptor treatment was today, everything looks good. I also did a 20 gallon water change tonight. Tomorrow I have to replace my phosban in my reactor and get it back online. It has been off for about a week now since the first treatment. Happy Mothers Day to all of the Mommies.

GrandeGixxer

Yeah, I haven't seen any since the first treatment, but I am going to do all 3 anyways. I am done buying SPS for this tank because I am leaving the area next May. I have enough in there to grow in very nicely though over the next year. I am starting to have a little bit of a flow battle again though as stuff is growing, I think I am going to put another modded 6025 in the middle of the other 2 and see if that helps. I know where I got the redbugs from now, and I am a little p!ssed about it, but it could have been worse like AEFWs. I have red flatworms, but the wrasse keeps them unnoticeable in the display, so I don't worry about them. Some people just don't care if they spread crap to you as long as they can make a buck. That is jacked up as tight knitted we are in this hobby. Oh well, I will try to get some new crappy pics up this week. I am having a little bit of red turf come back since I removed most of the clean up crew and my phos remover is offline for the treatments. I think I am going to clean it and get it going again tomorrow before I go to work. Stay tuned for pics.

filefish949

I had a fire shrimp that I just couldn't catch for my interceptor treatment. he made it through all 3 treatments. he is alive and well today, 6 months later, but I did not see him for about a week after the last treatment

BTW, I love fallowing your build, the oversize stand is genius

Yeah, I haven't seen any since the first treatment, but I am going to do all 3 anyways. I am done buying SPS for this tank because I am leaving the area next May. I have enough in there to grow in very nicely though over the next year. I am starting to have a little bit of a flow battle again though as stuff is growing, I think I am going to put another modded 6025 in the middle of the other 2 and see if that helps. I know where I got the redbugs from now, and I am a little p!ssed about it, but it could have been worse like AEFWs. I have red flatworms, but the wrasse keeps them unnoticeable in the display, so I don't worry about them. Some people just don't care if they spread crap to you as long as they can make a buck. That is jacked up as tight knitted we are in this hobby. Oh well, I will try to get some new crappy pics up this week. I am having a little bit of red turf come back since I removed most of the clean up crew and my phos remover is offline for the treatments. I think I am going to clean it and get it going again tomorrow before I go to work. Stay tuned for pics.

If you dont mind me asking where did you get the frags with the red bugs, where they local or shipped. If you dont want to put anybody on the spot you can just PM so I dont go shop there.

Your starting to sound like Tim Taylor more power, followed by the Tim Taylor grunt More Power.

So where are you moving to?

GrandeGixxer

I don't want to say, but I think I got them from a friend in Wi. I am about 90% sure of it. It really doesn't matter. I am transferring next May, hopefully to San Diego. I am sooo ready to get back to Cali. I have been throwing around the thoughts of going to Bahrain for a year though. I don't know what I am going to do.I'm off to do my time at the Shedd for the morning.

GrandeGixxer

Test results I got on 6MAY:

Ammonia-0

Nitrite-.0042

Nitrate-1.4

Salinity-37.8

Alk-151

Hardness-1060

Ca-424

Phosphates-.05

Test results from yesterday 13May

pH 8.08

Amm-0

no2-.0035

no3-1.2

Sal-36.8 Bringing it back down after my son recalibrated my refractometer.

alk-154ppm or 3.1 meq/l

hrdness-1152

ca-461

po4-.09

I am volunteering at the Shedd Aquarium in the water lab on Tuesdays. I get to test my own water and play with some of the coolest lab equipment I have ever seen!

• 4 weeks later...
GrandeGixxer

Test results today.

pH 8.02

NH3 0

NO2 .0038

NO3 3.9

Salinity 35.1

Alk 127ppm or 2.45meq/L or 6.9DKH

Hardness 1072

Ca 429

I am having a bit of red turf algae again since it was crab free for a month during the interceptor treatment. I need to go buy a bunch and throw them in, but I have been too lazy. The tank looks like crap right now, and it is mostly due to the low alkalinity. I am working on getting the magnesium up to where it should be, and keeping the alk more stable. Flow has also become an issue once again, since stuff has been growing, it has been blocking some flow and there are several dead spots. I need to get a couple more Tunze 6025's. Other than that, I haven't added anything new. Just letting everything grow. I have not had a lot of interest in the tank the last month or so since I just got a new bike, but now that the purchase is over, I need to spend some more time with the tank. I will post up some new pics when the tank doesn't look like complete crap. I did at least clean the glass for the first time in about a week tonight, and I am making some water for a water change.

• 7 months later...

We stumbled upon your thread from the XBOX gamertags and 2 things come to mind.

1. Great tank

2. You are way over due for some new pics!!!! :huh: !!!

Step away from the beer and pick up the camera. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pics I took a couple days ago. It looks a little different now though. :( It is pretty much a frag tank now. I got redbugs again and have to treat. I took out all the sand and rock and built a rack to put in it to hold the korlz.

joestank005.jpg

joestank006.jpg

joestank007.jpg

joestank008.jpg

joestank009.jpg

joestank010.jpg

joestank011.jpg

joestank012.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Polarcollision

So, I have been working on my new tank for a little while now. Here is a rough sketch of what my first ideas were to do.

NewTank1.jpg

NewTank2.jpg

My plans have changed a little bit, but ony with the plumbing and some dimensions. Here is the start of the stand.

stand4.jpg

stand1.jpg

stand3.jpg

As you can see, the stand is built with 2x4s and being skinned with maple plywood.

Here it is a little further into the build.

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

Here I finally have 3 of the 5 doors on it. I also started the framework for the canopy out of 1x4. Notice that I got the trim installed along the bottom of the stand.

DSC01743.jpg

I got the main tank yesterday from the Petco $1 per gallon sale. The canopy fit like a glove.

DSC01744.jpg

Today I decided that I needed to get the sump before the prices went back to normal. They didn't have a 30 Breeder in stock, so I went for another 40 Breeder.

DSC01746.jpg

DSC01745.jpg

The top of the stand is going to have a 6" shelf around it that is topped with ceramic tile.

I am planning on running 2x250 MH with 2x39w T5 for Actinic. It should be a fun journey. I am just working as I go. Trying to make sure I don't spend too much at a time. The wife still has to pay the bills and all.

If you have any suggestions, let me know. When I get the time, I will update how the plumbing will be.

Thanks for looking, Joe.

OMG! I know this is going back 5 years, but my jaw is dropping just watching the craftmanship as this comes together. Gorgeous, gorgeous work!! I have to duck back into work, but subscribing to read the rest later.

Archived