Innovative Marine Aquariums

Grandegixxer's 40 Breeder Frag Tank

GrandeGixxer

GrandeGixxer

That pump is going to get replaced with something with some more oomph already. It is only 760 gph. I need to be running somewhere around 12-1300 through the closed loop. I dont know about the overflow, it is a new design to me. I think it will work good, but we shall see. The vents are only on the front of the canopy. It was a major PITA to make them. Thanks for the compliments.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GrandeGixxer

I got everything plumbed except for 1 of the returns. The one that will feed the skimmer is not done yet. I gotta wait until I get the skimmer. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday it will come in. I ran the whole system last night for abour an hour or so. There is 1 very small leak, but it will be easy to fix. TodayI might get started on the canopy lift mechanism. It won't be that hard to do. Once I find my camera, I will take some shots of everything running. The overflow and standpipe works awesome.

Hehe.

DSC01829.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01831.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

Tank is finally in spot.And then today.

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01842.jpg

DSC01843.jpg

DSC01844.jpg

Well, it is finally set up. I need to do some tweaking to the closed loop to get some flow out of it, I am going to make up some eductors for it. I still have to clean up all of my wiring mess that I have going and finish up the canopy lifter. Ryan, I dont think the canopy is as heavy as I thought before. Maybe 20 pounds or so is all. My original plan is going to work fine. I am almost done with it actually. Thanks everyone for following along. I will keep the thread up to date with pics along the way.

great looking build bro. i'm about to start building my 40br. i've got some of the equipment and some base rock cycling. this'll be a nice buildout to follow....great woodworking and tilework!

Everything except for about half of the water came from my 30 gallon that I just took down today. I rinsed about half of the sand though to "clean" it up some. I might have a small cycle, but nothing major.

very cool. i just got done telling my dad that the little details are what counts, by that i mean the tile. Take another pic when it clears up. Oh and your making me feel bad for only going with one 250w MH over my 40g breeder... -_-

It is freaking bright with all of the lights on. I have to go and get another fan tomorrow. It raised the temp about 1 degree in 2 hours that I had them on today. Another fan and I will be good though.

I got a bunch of frags today at our local swap. I will post some pics tomorrow when everything is opened up. I got some sweet stuff!

Interesting project you have there. I got couple questions, hoping you have the time to answer it.

What did you used to cut out that slot so the water can flow into the over flow?

How easy or difficult was it to cut it?

You not afraid that the glass could break on that side.

Thanks,

The way I cut the overflow was; I used my 45mm diamond hole saw to cut both of the sides of the weir. Then I used a diamond cutting bit in my dremel and went along the edge. I used a straight edge to guide me along. This part sucked. It took close to an hour including all of the breaks we had to take to let the dremel cool off. I am not worried about it breaking, the glass is 1/4" and the external box strengthens it quite a bit too I would imagine. Thanks for looking.

Ok, here is the canopy lift system, almost ready.

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

And here is what you have all been waiting for....

DSC01863.jpg

DSC01862.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01859.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01854.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01852.jpg

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01850.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

There you go, I hope you enjoy them. I can't wait to see some of this stuff grow out. Some day I will get a better camera. The one I have is only a 2.0 mp. It sucks, but it gets the job done for the most part.

Left Side

DSC01869.jpg

Front

DSC01870.jpg

Right Side

DSC01871.jpg

My awesome blue Zoas!

DSC01872.jpg

I am experimenting with some eductors. a guy on another forum suggested that I redo the manifold out of 1/2" instead of the 3/4" I might do this because even with the pump upgraded, it still doesn't push what I would like for it to.

Looks very good. I like the way you re-did your rock work. All those pipes sticking out would bug me, but it's still a hell of alot better than mine.

When I get the time, I am going to redo the manifold out of 1/2" pvc and lose the eductors. All of it will be painted black. Thanks for the compliments.

Now is the time for patience. Just gonna let everything grow in. I am going to add more corals of course, but I am mostly going to just let it grow. I have some really nice stuff already, but I need to get ahold of some sunset monti. :bling:

I have a yellow coris wrasse in there also, he doesn't come out very much though. I don't think he is used to the new tank yet. He was always out in the old tank though. I will add probably 1 more fish, I was thinking about getting a Potter's Angel. I almost bought one the other night, but I had to resist. I am going to wait until the tank has been set up for a couple of more months. I did get a small perc to pair up with the other clown though. Here are a couple of pics from the night I added him.

DSC01895.jpg

DSC01894.jpg

DSC01893.jpg

They are buddies already. I am getting some corals tonight that I will be babysitting for a friend until he gets his tank set up in a couple months. He said that the price was too good to pass up. Hopefully it will be something that I want to frag. :D Thanks for looking, Joe.

I will take some pics of the corals I am babysitting later tonight. A couple of them, I don't know what they are so I might need an ID on them. I made sure to dip them after the redbug scare from the frag swap. The tank is doing very good. I can see some good growth on a couple of the SPS already, especially the orange cap. I did a small water change last night, about 10 gallons. I have been changing the fliter sock about every other day. I still need to build a skimmate collector, I have it all cut out, just need to find some weld on locally. The skimmer is doing a lot better now, I think that it is almost broken in. I will do the mesh mod on it when I get a chance and a kill a watt meter. Happy reefing, Joe.

Archived