Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kinetic 82g

kinetic

VannReefer87

dude, sick tank!....nice pictures as well!, wish my camera could take pics like that, or maybe I'm just using it wrong?...Good luck with your anthias, I had a male ventralis that didn't make it and it really sucked...you on the west coast or east coast?

dude, sick tank!....nice pictures as well!, wish my camera could take pics like that, or maybe I'm just using it wrong?...Good luck with your anthias, I had a male ventralis that didn't make it and it really sucked...you on the west coast or east coast?

Thanks =) I'm on the west coast.

VannReefer87
Thanks =) I'm on the west coast.

ah should've guessed when you said Atlantis.....I need to visit the west coast reefers....

ah should've guessed when you said Atlantis.....I need to visit the west coast reefers....

yeah, I'm actually only about 30 minutes from Atlantis Aquarium =)

VannReefer87
yeah, I'm actually only about 30 minutes from Atlantis Aquarium =)

well, that must be really nice...I'd be even more broke if I lived anywhere near that place....lookin forward to the development of the tank!

well, that must be really nice...I'd be even more broke if I lived anywhere near that place....lookin forward to the development of the tank!

yeah, if I go without the intention of buying, I'll usually leave all my cash, credit cards, atm cards, check books, at home =)

Usually I head in there, and just ask Mingwei to cut a few pieces from his awesome display tanks ;)

Very nice...

Is your theory holding true of using algae free rocks = no algae whatsoever later on? Do you have a CUC? Because your tank still looks ultra-clean.

The anthias look a bit emaciated are they eating well yet?

My theory was not "no algae whatsoever later on". Nor was it algae free rocks. It was pest free rocks. I'm trying to avoid red bugs, aefw, monti eating nudis, even red planaria etc. in terms of critters, and bubble, hair, and other nuisance macro algae.

So far I have none of the above mentioned =)

I have a few inverts, but don't have a clean up crew. The inverts are mostly for show. No matter how big of a "crew" I have, I've never gotten them to clean =P My frag tank is full of turbos, trochus, nassarius, and cerith. It's still full of film algae and detritus. I keep snails just for the fun of it, rather than depending on them.

I have nassarius vibex from the carribean (6) and striped black footed trochus snails (5).

One anthias is fat and eating 5 - 6 times a day, the other one will die soon, it refuses to eat anything. I've tried everything imaginable and all foods imaginable.

Very nice...

Is your theory holding true of using algae free rocks = no algae whatsoever later on? Do you have a CUC? Because your tank still looks ultra-clean.

The anthias look a bit emaciated are they eating well yet?

Sorry for the lack of updates!

ELOS NS500 skimmer, still 0 skimmate. Kinda disappointing, it's been many months now and it's still not doing anything. A lot of skimmate is collecting at the base of the cup where the bubbles go up to, but it's nowhere near breaking over into the collection cup.

Power outage a few days ago, but I didn't notice anything when I got back from work. The Vortech battery backup seemed to have done a fine job. I have it hooked up to one of my vortechs, which will be enough to keep the tank alive.

I'm contemplating drilling into the sump to mount a float valve for my RO/DI system. The float valve is pretty much safe, I can't see it failing as easily as some of those other float sensored ones that are suction cupped. Being drilled into the tank, it should work great and I won't need to fill up my RO/DI compartment anymore. I'm just afraid I'll split the glass by accident =X

My next order of 3 ventralis anthias just arrived, i'm going to acclimate them in a minute. Hopefully they all made it. My other two are still alive and one is very healthy, so I believe it's time to introduce the rest of them.

I also lost two trochus snails, so I ordered 3 more for the tank. We'll see how they do.

Pictures / updates tonight!

Hey Koden... tank is looking great....I love the patience you are taking with

this system :D

Sry bout the one fishee not doing to well...maybe the new ones will make the

other to decide to eat???

I recently got a Perc that wouldnt host my RBTA...after I got an ORA raised

Clarkii for the nem...the Perc is now like HWTH...and is hosting my Frogspawn...LOL

The Video is awesome...that is some major water movement in the tank...bet

watching the fish swim and eat is awesome.

Izzue

Hey Koden... tank is looking great....I love the patience you are taking with

this system :D

Sry bout the one fishee not doing to well...maybe the new ones will make the

other to decide to eat???

I recently got a Perc that wouldnt host my RBTA...after I got an ORA raised

Clarkii for the nem...the Perc is now like HWTH...and is hosting my Frogspawn...LOL

The Video is awesome...that is some major water movement in the tank...bet

watching the fish swim and eat is awesome.

Izzue

Hey Izzue,

Yeah, that one Anthias was doing great, but got spooked recently and doesn't come out often. I'm hoping with the introduction of a few more they will all be a bit more brave coming out in the open in a "shoal".

The water movement is insane, when I feed you can see the food shoot everywhere, the anthias really has to fight the current and zoom to get the food. It's fantastic! Nothing is left on the bottom of the tank... only place for the food to go is into the cracks of the rock where the nassarius snails will get to it, or into the sump. Hopefully the skimmer kicks in soon.

disaster999

im having the same problem with my skimmer too. it used to pull alot of crap from the water when i first added it. but after a while it just stopped filling the cup. im thinking its because it too little of a bioload for the skimmer to do much. not entirely sure if thats true, but thats one of my theories.

im having the same problem with my skimmer too. it used to pull alot of crap from the water when i first added it. but after a while it just stopped filling the cup. im thinking its because it too little of a bioload for the skimmer to do much. not entirely sure if thats true, but thats one of my theories.

when's the last time you cleaned the pump? skimmer body? collection cup? venturi intake?

I would first do this, if you haven't already:

1. Clean the venturi intake with RO/DI water thoroughly, making sure no salt has developed

2. Use warm water and vinegar solution to clean the collection cup, rinse thoroughly

3. Take out the whole skimmer and pump, and run it in a bath of vinegar / water for two days, then in ro/di water for another day. rinse thoroughly again.

That might get it back into good working order.

Hey,

DO NOT plumb the RO direct to the sump.

I crashed my tank doing this.

What I do now is RO->trashcan->aqualifter (45min 3 times a week)->5g bucket->ato->aqualifter->sump

I leave the top off on a timer for 15 minutes 3 times a day. This allows it to fill roughly 1.5 gallons a day MAX in the event of catastrophic failure(more then 2 safeguards failing).

Hey,

DO NOT plumb the RO direct to the sump.

I crashed my tank doing this.

What I do now is RO->trashcan->aqualifter (45min 3 times a week)->5g bucket->ato->aqualifter->sump

I leave the top off on a timer for 15 minutes 3 times a day. This allows it to fill roughly 1.5 gallons a day MAX in the event of catastrophic failure(more then 2 safeguards failing).

fine alright... I was just getting really lazy ;) since we're old friends (in terms of reefing I guess) I'll take your advice =)

So today I got 200 live mysis shrimp. It's funny seeing the usually frozen / dead guys, swimming around in the bag. Without thinking, I just dumped the whole darn thing, half into the display, half into the fuge. These guys CANNOT take flow, they're just flying around my tank. Now that I think about it, I probably should've put most of them in a holding tank, feeding them and such, and then adding them to my tank just as food.

Oh well, all 5 of my anthias started to eat! The new triplet I got on Wednesday are HUGE compared to my current two. They're pretty close to full grown, and much bolder. They're always out swimming, it's a beautiful sight.

Even the new trochus snails I ordered are WAY bigger than my previous order. How funny =)

Anyway, my tank finally has all the anthias I will keep. From here on out, I'll probably add a tailspot blenny, genicanthus bellus female, and maybe some clownfish. Bioload's gonna be up there =X

So Art, what new fixture did you get? I never did find out. I ended up getting an infiniti but sorta wish I had gotten the spectra. The infiniti is better looking though.

And how are your ventralis doing? I was thinking about getting some myself. I'm quite surprise this tank is actually up. I was expecting you to change your mind again, but you proved me wrong. Kudos

Edited by supernip
So Art, what new fixture did you get? I never did find out. I ended up getting an infiniti but sorta wish I had gotten the spectra. The infiniti is better looking though.

And how are your ventralis doing? I was thinking about getting some myself. I'm quite surprise this tank is actually up. I was expecting you to change your mind again, but you proved me wrong. Kudos

I'm still here with the Aquactinics MH/T5, it's pretty loud and the width spread isn't very good. I love the 15K Iwasaki's and the ATI Blue Plus though, the color is so crisp. Eventually I'll get the spectra, but I'll wait a little while.

The ventralis are all out and eating. The new batch actually started coming out to eat the day after I introduced them to the tank. The new guys are much bigger than the first two I received, and maybe a bit more bold. One bad news, one of the new guys died this morning. Not sure, maybe it was stress related. But now I have 4 very healthy ones, which is hopefully going to be the final number. Maybe I'll introduce a male sometime down the line if no females turn.

And yes, the tank is up and running ;) Mostly to prove everyone wrong haha =) But yeah, it takes awhile for me to find that one perfect tank that I feel is worth going up. Finally the ELOS really met all my expectations as a system, so up it went.

+1 for not changing your mind this time. :D

The ELOs tank is pretty tough to take down. It's very nice.

I'll be joining the big tank club soon.

Ps.

word on the street is the reeftuners might be making a comback. *shock*

Edited by Maeda
disaster999
when's the last time you cleaned the pump? skimmer body? collection cup? venturi intake?

I would first do this, if you haven't already:

1. Clean the venturi intake with RO/DI water thoroughly, making sure no salt has developed

2. Use warm water and vinegar solution to clean the collection cup, rinse thoroughly

3. Take out the whole skimmer and pump, and run it in a bath of vinegar / water for two days, then in ro/di water for another day. rinse thoroughly again.

That might get it back into good working order.

i just clean my cup and its working a lot better again.

i always though you dont really have to clean them. guess not.

THanks for the tip

You should clean your skimmer's cup as often as possible. Weekly would be good, some people do it every couple days.

it's not the best idea to clean the skimmer body that much, the biofilm on the inside is actually good... though if it builds up too much it's not the best either.

So:

1. clean the cup

2. don't need to clean the skimmer body.

i just clean my cup and its working a lot better again.

i always though you dont really have to clean them. guess not.

THanks for the tip

• 4 weeks later...