Top Shelf Aquatics

6yr old LED NanoCube - tank moved!

joesmoe517

joesmoe517
Wow! That is terrible! Did you pay with paypal? If so, start a claim on him for that. They also now honor SNAD cases for outside of ebay transactions. You did your part by paying him, he didnt do his part. Simple as that.

Matt

Yeah i paid him with paypal... I don't want to start a claim just yet. Going to wait and see what they say in the response to my email with the pictures of the fried coral. I would almost be happy with a partial refund or a credit to have another acro shipped (this time alive hopefully :lol: ). Not sure if he knows i'm on all of the forums, but i just assume most frag shops know we're all nerds on the internet and can really flame their reputation easily.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah i paid him with paypal... I don't want to start a claim just yet. Going to wait and see what they say in the response to my email with the pictures of the fried coral. I would almost be happy with a partial refund or a credit to have another acro shipped (this time alive hopefully :lol: ). Not sure if he knows i'm on all of the forums, but i just assume most frag shops know we're all nerds on the internet and can really flame their reputation easily.

Well you should know that paypal will more than likely side with you and refund your shipping as well. Ive been on both ends of this sort of thing. Dont let Mr. Coral get away with giving you less than you paid for. In other words, dont settle for less! :) Keep us posted too!

Matt

joesmoe517

I put in the paypal transaction dispute just in case, hoping he settles it "out of court" though lol

joesmoe517

Well, i re-arranged a bit by moving the pink lobo to another tank for a future trade of a blue acan. Changed the look a bit for now. The plate was almost killed from the lack of lighting (and solid feedings) previous to the LED upgrade. It got down to bare skeleton almost, but now has regained enough tissue to move solid food to the mouth and he's getting puffier each day.

FTS_5-5-11_sizeedit.gif

Over priced chalice from an online retailer (with a DOA acro and 3cm of a brown acro and 2 single zoa polyps all for $75). Will update with the name of the company if the owner doesn't settle with my paypal dispute lol...

ChaliceFrag5-5-11.jpg

A frag of some unknown acro i got from a local purchase:

Mysteryacrofrag5-5-11.jpg

Nice shot of the sixline:

six-linewrasse5-5-11_sizeedit.gif

I put in the paypal transaction dispute just in case, hoping he settles it "out of court" though lol

I just ordered 14 frags from Mrcoral earlier tonight. They were from the $10 section also. I got free shipping though. I hope I get everything as it was pictured on their website. Sucks to hear about your buying experience though.

Your tank has had a very interesting evolution! I have a 10G that I setup with 24 LEDs. So far so good. I also have a 3 year old 180G that has been lit by T5s until earlier this week. Two months and $1700 later, it has a 155 LED setup with all high end stuff (hence the recent coral order).

Anyway, keep up the picture posts!!

joesmoe517

messing around with some camera settings after reading Jeremai's post on tank photography. Went with the Manual setting on the t2i and got something that worked well for corals. Fish...not so much.

I also re-arranged things a bit. In addition to taking out the giant pink lobo (mentioned a couple posts ago), i also decided that the purple monti cap was facing the wrong way (what was it thinking?). I broke it off and moved it to the back of the tank. Opens up the view a lot better i think. Also, i have a ton of room in the center now for some new acros to grow out as center pieces.

re-arrangedFTS5-6-11.jpg

ORA green birdsnest, and behind it on the same frag plug, a purple birdsnest:

oragreenbirdsnest5-6-11.jpg

cool shot of the trumpets:

trumpets5-6-11.jpg

left side with new ric:

leftside5-6-11.jpg

right side with hammer and birdsnest in view:

hammerandbirds5-6-11.jpg

Hammer macro:

hammermacro.jpg

Neon Goby and GSP:

gspgobyandcap5-6-11.jpg

Monti Cap and Birds:

capandbirds.jpg

good session. think i found a nice coral shooting setting for these lights with the dslr

latteslave

Great looking tank!

In the same boat with a Mr coral order. 3 of mine were doa. Hope yours works out.

joesmoe517

thanks marqese

Here's a little mush frag i made on a white plug with 2 red and 1 blue mushroom. Going to sell it on the 4th of July if they attach successfully ;)

2011-05-14183832.jpg

joesmoe517

Yeah, you will notice lots of the corals "lost some volume" as i had "lost interest" in past months. My PC bulbs were going on 20 months in age and i had reduced to doing water changes every other month instead of bi-weekly.

However, things are very much on the mend since i got the LED's and have been working on water parameters non-stop. The GSP had actually stopped putting out polyps at one point and i thought they were gone completely (just like all of my zoas disappeared). Now they're stinging the crap out of my red acan and i have to scrape them back like the good old days!

RedMan25xl

ahh i see.. sorry im sure i could have found in the previous posts but I was kind of worrying about mine as theyve thinned out a little. Id say check my link and see what my concern is but I havent updated that in quite a while.. may add a pic today tho. Good luck and tanks looking great :)

Yeah, you will notice lots of the corals "lost some volume" as i had "lost interest" in past months. My PC bulbs were going on 20 months in age and i had reduced to doing water changes every other month instead of bi-weekly.

However, things are very much on the mend since i got the LED's and have been working on water parameters non-stop. The GSP had actually stopped putting out polyps at one point and i thought they were gone completely (just like all of my zoas disappeared). Now they're stinging the crap out of my red acan and i have to scrape them back like the good old days!

Maybe to much light for gsp...

joesmoe517

Mkus, I think you read it wrong... the GSP is recovering now that i've switched to LED's. They were receeding back when I had 18 month old PC bulbs and I wasn't doing frequent water changes.

joesmoe517

Alright, i couldnt wait for the initial slime to settle before taking pictures. So stoked to finally have the lighting to keep acros.

Here is the frag pack i got from a very generous local guy for $30. You didn't mis-read that, i said THIRTY DOLLARS.

my30fragpack.jpg

I believe they are green slimer, purple-ish milli, and some other acro i forgot the name of.

The slimer

slimer5-16-11.jpg

The Milli

Milli5-16-11.jpg

The forgotten name acro:

forgottenacro5-16-11.jpg

I also got this purple garf bonsai on trade for my 10 headed hammer colony along with 3 AOG zoas:

purpletort5-16-11.jpg

I hope that in a few weeks they look as good as they do today.

The FTS:

FTS_5-16-11.jpg

latteslave

I am loving that purple milli. Nice buy!

Have you always had those acans up that high? They look great BTW.

joesmoe517

Yeah, never moved the acan...maybe just a new perspective with all the big LPS out of the tank. Had to move around a couple small things, and it looks like there is no room for the trumpets anymore so those are going to have to go...somewhere.

latteslave

Thanks... Another question. I am feeling like I don't have a good sense of adjustment on my LEDs. What is you led mix and what are you running them at? Is it RB and CW 50/50? I am looking for what other people are running them at, both white and blue - I think mine are around 300ma on blue and 325 on the CW. Just curious as you seem to be getting real good color.

joesmoe517

My LED kit was a wedding gift, and i never got an exact answer to this question from my friend who built it. All i can tell you is there are 6 white and 6 blues, and the Par meter gave an output of 150w at 6 inches of depth. Don't see a brand name on them either. Sorry i can't be of more help lol.

BowieReefer84

Tank looks good. Watch the stingers on some of those chalice pieces. I have seen some spaghetti come out at nighttime on certain ones you would never expect, and that will kill those sps in a heartbeat. Tank is really nice looking. I am also running led's. Bleached everything in my tank at first. Very powerful. On full blast I have over 200 par on the sand in some areas.

joesmoe517
Tank looks good. Watch the stingers on some of those chalice pieces. I have seen some spaghetti come out at nighttime on certain ones you would never expect, and that will kill those sps in a heartbeat. Tank is really nice looking. I am also running led's. Bleached everything in my tank at first. Very powerful. On full blast I have over 200 par on the sand in some areas.

Yeah, good lookin' out. I have that big chalice in the middle there and he puts out 1" sweepers max so i'm guessing the length of sweepers depends on the particular chalice and the amount of flow it's getting.

I reduced my photoperiod way down to 3.5 hours from 8 hours when i got the LED's. I bumped it up 15 minutes every other day and everything seemed to adjust well. The green plate which had bleached under the worn out PC's is coloring right back up. He was about 20% health and is up to around 60% now i would say.

The driver is the ballast? How will that tell me what LED's i have? The LEDs themself dont say anything on them and i can't unglue them from the heatsink... I am pretty sure they are the RapidLED kit... the same as this other guy posted a thread about: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry3379395

• 2 weeks later...
joesmoe517

some new shots:

FTS

FTS28May2011_edit.jpg

milli

purplemilli28may2011.jpg

cali tort

calitort28may2011.jpg

Garf purple bonsai

purplebonsai.jpg

Combo purple green birdsnest

combobirdsnest28may2011.jpg

Green rings

greenringsandric28may2011.jpg

AOG's

AOG28May2011.jpg

Chalice frag

purp-greenchalice28may2011.jpg

And my solution to low pH while keeping the cat out of the tank. Going to paint it black soon.

IMG_7061.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Archived