Pod Your Reef

6yr old LED NanoCube - tank moved!

joesmoe517

by nature xenia wants to spread to higher lighting so you just have to place a frag of it wedged in between a rock and the wall and it will move up on the wall and to the top. I like it this way because its easy to frag off a flat surface and it stays away from my other corals. One downside is that it grows into my overflow and also blocks light from my stuff in the back so i have to trim it back once a week. Also it tends to form a layer on top of the tank and reduces flow above it, so i've had cyano growing on top of it once or twice but no biggie really.

edit: quick thing to mention, i cannot get it to grow on parts of the wall with coralline algae so if you're going to attempt it make sure you put it below a spot without coralline.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FTS9-25-07.jpg

yumacorner.jpg

i had a full size one of these guys attach to this rock and crash way back when i was first cycling my tank a year and a half ago. I guess the light upgrade was just enough to make whatever skin was left on the rock form a new bubble mushroom.

bubblemushsprout.jpg

my first attempt at sps, made this little frag at work for 5 bucks. purple digitata, purple montipora, red montipora, green digitata.

acrosfirstday.jpg

polyp extension seems good. they are gaining more growth at the edges and tips by the day so i guess they're doing just fine. Im gonna give it a couple more weeks before i put any more in though

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Great looking 12.

Thanks!

Sorry i havent updated in a long time, i didnt think anybody was looking at my thread without me updating it. Anyways heres some recent pictures...

FTS for 1-3-08

FTS1-3-08sizeedit.jpg

Heres my little snowflake eel, i had him in there for about two months and he did great and my parameters stayed perfect but i just got bored of him because he never did anything besides chill in the rocks.

IMG_1377sizeedit.jpg

Couple shots of my pink trach that replaced the monstrous wellso:

IMG_1385sizeedit.jpg

IMG_1319sizereduction.jpg

some purple palys i picked up for 5 bucks and a shot of the zoa garden

IMG_1288sizeedit.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

I noticed you have a clam. I recently got one and I can't get it to attach to the LR. It's a Crocea and it keeps "jumping" from the rock to the bottom. I wanted to keep it on the rock so it gets more light (150 halide) but it seems to want to be on the bottom. Is that OK?

• 3 weeks later...
Sweet looking tank!

Nice zoas, how about some more montipora shots?!

Thanks!

Turns out the top of the tank with 96w of pc's isnt enough for even a monti (at least in my tank, not too much flow may be the problem) and i had to move it to my roommates halides.

I noticed you have a clam. I recently got one and I can't get it to attach to the LR. It's a Crocea and it keeps "jumping" from the rock to the bottom. I wanted to keep it on the rock so it gets more light (150 halide) but it seems to want to be on the bottom. Is that OK?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, i didnt realize anyone had posted on here, guess i need to track the thread. Anyway, i do not have the clam anymore, once i had grown it from a baby and assumed it started wanting more light (by the gaping it was doing) i decided to also move it to my roommates tank with halides. Seems like with clams the best you can do is wedge it in a nice comfy spot between a few rocks on a flat spot so it can attach its foot, then you can move the flat rock wherever you want to in the tank.

Anyways heres a few new pics i snapped tonight instead of studying...

Macro of my pink trach after i just fed it a silverside:

IMG_1450sizereduction.jpg

Further back shot of it, including the feather duster:

IMG_1447sizereduction.jpg

IMG_1421sizereduction.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

alright well heres a little update:

new fts

FTS2-20-08sizeedit.jpg

whole room shot

IMG_1509sizeedited.jpg

a comparison of my acan when its feeding and when its not

acanfeedingcomparison.jpg

some cool looking green palys (ill call them cosmic green palys but im most likely wrong)

greencosmicpalyssizeedit.jpg

a xenia shot

IMG_1479sizereduction.jpg

and a pink shroomie

IMG_1456sizereduction-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few shots i took with a handheld led keychain and my point and shoot:

surfaceofthemoonsizeedit.jpg

toxicgreenplateundermoonlights.jpg

illusioncomingatyousizeedit.jpg

Tell me you can look at this full size and not have it come at you and make you dizzy

• 1 month later...
fishybadmike

Wow that pink trach is amazing! I love the shots of it feeding. I recently got an open brain but it's tissue doesn't expand anywhere near as much as yours.

well i havent updated in a while so here it goes. note that i am fighting hair worms and theyre obliterating my zoas. so much for being a supposedly "harmless" critter, they wont let my zoas open there's so many of them. oh well new sand on may 31st.

some angled shots, note i am not showing my zoas because im ashamed of what the worms have done to my colonies.

fromlefttoright4-17-08.jpg

fromrighttoleft4-17-08.jpg

this is the new hammer i got from my roommate

newhammer4-17-08.jpg

hammeroffset.jpg

brittle star in his spot

brittlestar.jpg

one of the leather frags i made

leatherfrag.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous tank!!

BTW what sort of flow do you have on your plate? My plate seems to never stay flat on the sand.

• 4 weeks later...
joesmoe517

Well i had to move the tank to my new apartment and heres the result:

itsmyreefinaboxsizeedit.jpg

FTSNewsetup5-15-08sizeedit.jpg

The acan after it got situated:

IMG_2103sizeedit.jpg

Some of my green palys:

IMG_2097sizeedit.jpg

And my new orange zoa frag i got, 4 polyps for 15 bucks:

IMG_2009sizeedit.jpg

A crazy little critter i found after the move:

IMG_2019sizeedit.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New FTS for March

fts6-24-08sizeedit.jpg

My peach center zoas, growing out already and loving the new bulbs

peachcenterzoas.jpg

My two new baby yumas that the big one laid and moved down to a lower spot. You can also see the new photosyntetic red gorgonian i got from a trade

babyyumaricordias.jpg

joesmoe517

the barnacle blenny ended up jumping in the back sump and getting stuck in my pump unfortunately. I was getting ready to move the tank at the time so i didnt buy anymore fish, and now that its moved i have yet to find the right inhabitant for the tank. Strangely enough i can't call it a fish tank anymore, just an aquarium, but i plan to get a fish after i move again on August 3rd.

shrimphombre

How do you manage moving the tank? I have a NC12 and am also a college student. Any tips?

Archived