Cultivated Reef

I'm Back in Business!!

Crakeur

I bought 60lb. of that pre-cured standard Fiji stuff from Reefermadness, and it really didn't smell at all! I was able to run the skimmers right away and pulled most of the shizzy out of the water on mine.

Now it's a game of hurry up and wait on the ballast to fire the lights, and livestock. This is a 90, and there won't be much of any livestock in it, coralwise.

Glad to see you're back in the game, Crakasan.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a tank of that size, you might consider moving up to a bigger skimmer. I know a few guys who have kept tanks like that, and put Berlins in their sumps. Great results!

sump? no sump. just the hob fuge, a hob microchiller and powerheads. the picollo will go in the hob or the fuge, depending on the water temp.

Well Mr. Crakeur, I have a 24" air driven counter current skimmer that is a hang on number. Needs to be driven by a powerhead (Can send you that too if need be) Your welcome to it. It has been retired for some time - but would love the opportunity to get back into the scum sucking game, especially if it will help salvage your marriage.

thanks but I will let the stench destroy the marriage. bout time someone else made a stink in the place anyway.

SeaMountain
Originally posted by Crakeur

fly, I'm afraid to run the picollo on this mess for fear of it exploding from all the crap.

Maybe we would have been better off upgrading to the 'Oboe' instead of the wee itty-bitty picollo! B)

I set up the skimmer last night and after a few height adjustments, I think I have it functioning at it's best, which should be good once the tank is cycled. As for now, I doubt if it will make much of a dent, which is fine for the cycle anyway.

Lots of small shells on the sand bed floor, dead hermits (tiny ones) so I am assuming lefty didn't live for very long.

Bummer: Just boxed up a BP2 for shipping that would have whooped your tank into shape pretty quickly...

Sorry for my absence, but had a golf outing yesterday, ran like a nut today: bolted from the office @ 11:30, drove to Brewster for that LR I told you about, re-scaped the 10 and am off to the bank.

Picked up a monster rock that takes up 40% of the tank: killer stuff, a large shelf piece, a softball sized-shroom rock and a 4" red/green open brain. $57.

I win again. Nutty weekend, but I'll catch up with you kids tonight or tomorrow.

Gotta hop: wake tonight, then rehearsal dinner.

I thought you had a sump, Crakasan! Considered one for this tank? Get the right sized sump and you'll get yourself quite a bit of water volume. Wouldn't be too hard to pick up a 15 or something and do a little nifty acrylic work.

I thought about the sump, and I have the 7 sitting around, if I ever change my mind (waste of a bow but what the heck) but I need that space for storage so no sump for now.

I might need to upgrade the skimmer if this thing doesn't start to clear up after the weekend (or if the smell doesn't go away by then).

I have a 12 gal that I'm breaking dow: 20x10 footprint. Has a chip in it (been there for 2.5 years) along one edge. Yours for the taking.

don't want the sump but thanks.

I will, if I can find a place out east, pick up a larger skimmer. Otherwise, I might just order the cpr hang on for midweek delivery. The stench ain't going away although the cloudy look is slowly beginning to clear

well, I came home after two days away and the smell is beginning to fade but the piccolo ain't pulling enough gunk out so a cpr hang on fuge was ordered. It looks like I will be running the chiller on the side of this tank too (assuming I need chilling).

Piccolo anyone?

You'll like the CPR. Did you by chance order a preskimmer box? They're a nice little accessory to consider. I've got one, and have two more on order. They make a world of difference.

the pic is pulling gunk out but it just isn't enough. Fly I ordered the preskimmer. I figured I might as well go all out.

That was a good move. It takes some adjustment on a daily basis to make sure you're skimming the water the way you want to be skimming the water, but the benefits are well worth it.

Crakeur

I will take the piccolo if you are really selling it.

I prefer paying by paypal.

Thanks

Just a tip on the cpr, use a tiny ziptie where the air tube meets the rio. I used to get salt creep so bad in the air tube and inside the rio, it would stop the air totally. The first time I didn't notice my bubbles had stopped for a week. I had to replace the entire air line, it was packed with salt for about 3". Other than that I ran mine for 4 years with no problem. I even put a 150 watt heater in mine.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute Crak, but DAP, where did you put the ziptie? Right in front of where it connects to the Rio, in effect pinching the tube a little bit BEFORE it connects, or right on the little plastic flange that the airline slips on?

I've got three of these and I'd like to keep from having to replace airline once every three months.

I never actually did this modification to mine, I ended up selling the skimmer with my old 15g Nano before I could get around to it.

The original hose that comes with it works great without the modification, but over time it will loose it's "tightness" and thats when the salt creep comes into play. My hose actually got brittle and cracked at the nipple. The first mod was to trim off the cracked portion and re-install it. This worked for a little while then the creep started agiain.

You want to ziptie it around the airline so it makes a tight fit on the nipple, so zip tie it on the plastic flange the airline slips onto.

I believe when the rio is sucking in air, it is also sucking in a microscopic amount of water from where the airline joins the nipple. I always had to clean inside the nipple of the rio too.

I also removed the little air filter on the end of the air line, that seemed to slow down the salt creep in the air line too.

I can't remember how far the nipple sticks out though, hopefully it's enough to get a "micro" zip tie around it.

I had no other problems with mine, I was amazed the rio lasted 4 years and is still going (under new ownership).

HTH

well, I added two powersweeps to the tank to get some movement thru the rocks of death. Silly me I accidentally bought two different gph sweeps and the slower one doesn't compare to the other. I now have the hob, the fuge and 5 powerheads working the water around in the tank. IF the water ever clears I will try and work a powerhead or two into the bottom portion. I'll probably get to that Thurs or Fri when the new skimmer comes in. Until then I have to live with the decreasing stench and the slowly increasing visibility. Who knows, maybe I will be able to see stuff by July.

Originally posted by DAP

My hose actually got brittle and cracked at the nipple.    

HTH

My $.02: next time you order any drygoods, pick up a coil of the green silicon airline tubing: stays nice and supple.

Archived