SaltCritters.com

GOTTA HAVE IT! Clams...mmmmm...

FLcracker94

FLcracker94

I want to get a giant clam for my 90ga, seeing as my LFS has tons of clams, they got a whole tank for them!

Will a G Clam fit, along the glass, in a 90ga (4ft long) or will it out grow it?

Also, will it survive with 4.8watts/ga?

Thanks for any help. If the G clams are too big, are there any smaller clams that meet my standards for the tank?

EDIT: Lights are VHO with 4.8watts/ga.

FLcracker94

I don't know the lighting, getting the whole tank thursday. All I know is that they're enough for 4.88888888watts/ga

ReadyReefer

i don't think 4 watts per gallon is enough for a clam, most people reccomend at least 10. But wait for ezcompany shows up; he is the resident calm expert

FLcracker94

ok, so I'll skip the clam...thanks for the info.

I was originaly going to get JUST LPS corals, but I might want to get some softies or SPS. Are the lights good enough for all corals? or would I have to put certain corals higher up, or not get them at all?

Yep Lps, softies not sure about the sps they need alot of light. I have sps in my tank, but its under 150W MH. You can load that thing up SLOWLY with nice lps and softies.

4.8 watts x 90 = 432 watts of VHO lighting, that is enough for a gigas, squamosa, or deresa.

your gigas will grow huge, and 90 gallons isn't going to cut it in the long run. you will have it a few good years though. i would say a deresa would be your best choice, as squamosas will appreciate higher light and look better. expect them to grow +/- 20 inches

i would start with a deresa to be safe. a gigas will outgrow your tank. ORA even has deresas squamosa hybrids.

reefman225gal
ok, so LPS and softies. Any particular type of gigas, squamosa and deresa's?
What do you mean by paticular type ? I would go with a T.derasa or T. squamosa at least 3-6 inches. T.gigas dont handle shipping well. IMO. derasa and squamosa are least demanding of the Tridacnids. They ship well and acclimate to a wide range of light and water quality conditions. If any of the Tridacnids could fairly be called starter clams for beginners it would be derasa and squamosa. The only thing is they grow pretty big in a short amount of time.
FLcracker94

oh, lol, I thought those were corals, not clams.

ummm...how about Dersa? Live aquaria says moderate lighting. Are my lights moderate or close to moderate?

SeeDemTails

I seriously doubt you will keep your tank anywhere near long enough for a gigas to outgrow it, unless you plan on having it setup for like 20 years.

Or you are starting with a clam that is already 12" across.....

I have a Gigas in my 37 gal that has grown about and inch in a year and a half.

hehe yeah seedemtails is right, theyre fairly slow growers, so if you get a small one you should be good

my lfs had a 3' gigas in a 200-300g display, and it outgrew the tank so he ended up getting a 1000g tank just for the clam

theres other fish in there too but the joy of that tank is the clam

also has some extremely rare stuff, like a bubble gum pink and green favia

the PINKEST pink ive ever seen

FLcracker94

Ummmm....I've got a Skimmer, so should I:

A: dry skim

or

B: wet skim

Or should I do something somewhat in between?

reefman225gal
I seriously doubt you will keep your tank anywhere near long enough for a gigas to outgrow it, unless you plan on having it setup for like 20 years.

Or you are starting with a clam that is already 12" across.....

I have a Gigas in my 37 gal that has grown about and inch in a year and a half.

Thats not true. It is possible for a Gigas to grow an 1/2' PER. Month

Archived