Top Shelf Aquatics

a question for y'all

Crakeur

ken, I sent a PM. Satch I sent one to yesterday. I was piggybacking the big office tank order and that ain't happening so fast so I will probably have to deal with petland this afternoon. They deliver on Tuesdays so I will have to use my mental prowess (and a little extra cash) to get them to bring it by before the weekend. I am probably going to set it up saturday after my wife drags my sorry ass out to buy her a watch (apparently she gets a gift for delivering a baby - no gift for me and I did the hardest part. shouldn't the baby be gift enough for both of us?)

I'll update you both by the end of today.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will, once the tank is set up. As for now I am waiting on the local store to open so I can find out if they are delivering my tank or if I am ordering it from Petland. Then, I need to get Don Satchmo to drop off some southdown (not the 50lb bag please. just enough to lay a nice thick bed of white) and then I am a go. Rock will be ordered once the tank is set up and I will, hopefully, be cycling starting Tuesday of next week.

dimensions:

24 1/8 x 14 3/4 x 20 7/8

looking for about two inches of sand but I don't need the whole bottom covered as the rock will be place directly on the glass and the sand around the rock.

If one of you two mathmaticians can figure out how much sand that would be, I'd be happy to bring just that. Otherwise you're getting the full 50.

Ken hooked me up in a big way last night. Bucket full of frags and Harpoon from the last surviving growler. My apartment is becoming the coral day care center for the NY area. I'm babysitting frags for Crakeur, Ken, and junglejim. Thanks again.

Crak- I handed off your hydno to Ken. The tissue was starting to recess in my tank and Ken has the lighting to bring 'er back. I'll give you a frag of mine when you're ready.

no worries. I told ya I didn't care about getting much of the stuff back. Just fire me up with xenia, gsp, the orange ric and I am good. everything else can be found easily on the web.

rather than do the math on the sand, just fire me up with about half a bag of sand. If it's too much, I'll return it, if it's not enough, I'll be adding sand from various places and that should suffice. remember, no sand under the rocks so 25 pounds should be more than enough.

w/ a footprint of 24 1/8 x 14 3/4 & a depth of 2", you will need 39.7 lbs of Southdown if that's all that was in there. Given your rock statement, a half bag should be plenty.

I have what probably works out to about 5-7 lbs of live sand left in the 12. As Satchmo will attest, the sand is really live and has been in the tank for almost 8 years now. Thing is, it's got little chunks of "stuff" in it: small rock fragments, broken shells, little bits of red skeleton from a pipe organ, etc. all small gunk, tons of little tube worms, etc. I took a look this AM, and there weren't too many of the mysid shrimp and pods left, since they were already rock-bound when Satch made it to the house & we took the remaining frags out.

Hey, Crak: More than happy to get you some small SPS frags once you're going w/ the halides, etc. I've got around 60 different types, and really keep "bonsai-style" tanks that get trimmed very often.

you got a deal ken. I'll bring the sneaker out and we can load it up.

I'll pass on that live sand mix for now as I want to try and keep the white look for as long as possible and all the chunks sound like what I have in my 7 - which I will use to start off the southdown and skim out when the tank has been running for a week or two.

I'm off to find out when the tank is coming and from where.

Originally posted by Crakeur

If it's too much, I'll return it,

@ $4.50 a bag, I was going to tell you to throw whatever you have left out the window.

Then I remembered that this might cause a problem, having 10 lbs of sand raining down on the doorman's head.

I mean, water balloons are one thing...........:o

Originally posted by Crakeur

I'll pass on that live sand mix for now as I want to try and keep the white look for as long as possible and all the chunks sound like what I have in my 7 - which I will use to start off the southdown and skim out when the tank has been running for a week or two.

That's why I mentioned it...I'll snap a pic of it anyway for you & post tomorrow.

Originally posted by kennerd

As Satchmo will attest, the sand is really live

Ken's tanks are teeming. When I put his frag-coated rocks in my tank (including one ric rock that looks like a petrified cow chip), the critters came pouring out. huge amphipods, stomas, mini-stars, etc, etc.

OK- I'll take out 15-20lbs for my up & coming fuge project and bring you the rest of the bag. What you don't use gets dumped down the garbage chute.

deal.

ok, so perhaps I will take ken's rubble of life. I guess I can skim out the unsightly stuff once the sand selttles below it.

still haven't found the time to make the most important two calls - tank and lights. I'm starving so lunch and calls it is.

yeah ken, that's what I want for the family mobile. nothing short of blowing my daughter's ears off when cruising to the playground.

true. let me figure out when I am actually doing this and, if you are coming, I'll take some of the mix, otherwise, I'll add it at a later date,if it's still available.

screwed yet again.

well, I waited on the big tank order so I could save about 50 bucks and now that deal isn't happening and petland can do the sale and deliver the tank, cabinet etc. on Tuesday. So I either wait until Tuesday for delivery and then wait a few weeks to set the tank up or I start hauling the tank and cabinet myself sometime this week. Man I hate it when plans collapse.

I guess I'll schlepping tank and cabinet this weekend, possibly Saturday after shopping with the wife.

I hate me.

Swat ya get for procrastinating. You should reach for the plastic as soon as the idea gets in your head. That's what I do (my creditors love me).

I called them last week and had it all lined up for delivery yesterday and then I found out I could have it for $50 less and not pay for delivery ($25) so I balked.

again, I hate me.

hauling tank - ***** of it is, I can get my car and load it up but then I would have to take out the baby seat - more of a pain in the ass.

Archived