Cultivated Reef

a question for y'all

Crakeur

Well, I am a day or two away from ordering the tank (still need to get everything else planned so that I don't have a tank and cabinet laying around too long - wife would not like that) and I am doing some live rock research. I came across this site and the rock, while a bit pricey, looks to be the best I have seen so far. Anyone every ordered from aquarium arts?

http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverock.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that this will help but I've cruised that site several times. I find the thought of a quaility reef store in Bakersfields kind of interesting. Their rock always looked good to me too.

Give them a call and feel it out. Report back.

Ever drive through that area?... it's amazing they have anything fresh let alone fish and LR... I suppose there's always the posibility of finding an oasis in a desert...

Another place you could check out is Palmetto reefs. Darren is cool to talk to, and it might be cheaper for shipping since they are in South Carolina, not Cali.

I saw that and his rock looks real nice too but something about the aquarium arts site is drawing me toward their rock.

I looked at the site again ( and actually read the whole thing, there's a lot there!) That rock looks mighty fine. If I decide to trade in the 20 for a 50g, I think that's where I would get my rock from. Good stuff, thanks for the link!!

Crak:

Did a quick search on Reef Central after you asked me earlier (switching back/forth on computers today) and found a few posts, including a fellow that just got an order of 70 lbs of their LR

I PM'd him re: pictures of the stuff. Also, seems that there is an Aquarium Arts outside of phoenix, but a different place altogether.

Orange Crush

just a thought, and I know nothing about their LR other that what's on the site, but JustPhish is in CT...could save you some shipping

Crakeur

Check out paragon aquatics in haddam ct. I think the web site is paragonsales.com. It's a mile down the road from me and I get all my live rock there. Very excellent!!! They pride their whole store on how good the rock is. They cure it all in the back themselfs and you can pick through and find the pieces you want. If your in NYC it's about a 2 hour ride, but its well worth it. Lots of coraline (sp?) and life on it.

OH and I forgot to mention I have coupons good till the end of may for paragon. 20% off orders over $125, and buy 3 get one free on corals, and buy 2 get one 1/2 price or something like that. I just have to find them...HMMMM. If you'll use them I'll send them w/the skimmer if I can find them, or your can take a ride this way and I'll give them to you after we indulge in a few cold beverages at the local establishment :)

got the skimmer thanks to mike (should be here in a week or so).

tank will be here on Tues. or Wed, and I think the Satchmo/Kennerd tandem might be coming by next weekend to watch me clean the old and set up the new.

might just be easiest to get rock shipped. I'll check them out tho. thanks for the info.

appreciate it but I won't be setting the tank up until Saturday or Sunday so I definitely don't want it sitting around for more than a day.

I checked out the site and the rock is awesome looking. I'll probably get it from them as the shipping should be less than from the west coast. Thanks for the hook.

Heard nothing but good things about Paragon. In fact, a number of people inth NJ Reefers Club claim it's actually worth the long round trip to cherry pick. Also, the club had a meeting up @ Reef Splendor up near Newburgh,NY and they supposedly have some pretty big curing tanks.

What skimmer did you go with?

picollo skimmer. Fits in the fuge or the hob.

I'll be ordering the rock for Saturday delivery and setting up the tank on saturday (next week). Hopefully Don Satchmo will come out of hiding and get me the southdown. Otherwise I will have to add it later and deal with the sandstorm.

I have a half bag left: just have to fish the cat crap out of it firstX)

Also, I'm headed to HD today for fertilizer. They have pallets of the stuff, unless he's got some already. Can't picture him carrying more than half a bag at a time without a hand truck. No sweat grabbing abag or two for you.

BTW: dished out some of the sand to someone else yesterday, and in one cup there were some 5-6 ministars and a peanut worm.

I will definitely want some of your sand to seed mine. Satch has the bags upon bags of southdown and he said he'll leave it with my doorman so I can have him do just that and seed the tank with you sand, my sand, his sand and whatever crawls out of the rock.

Not bags upon bags exactly, just the one. But it's a full 50 pounder -it'll be plenty. But I could always call in the underboss to bring by some more.

And what's up Ken? You can't see me and my Herculean frame carrying a bag of sand?

satch, I'm looking to get the tank set up next saturday or sunday, any chance of my getting some of that southdown for the weekend? I doubt if I need 50 lbs but whatever is left over can always be returned to you.

Are Ken and I coming by Sunday? See my PM. I was going to bring the bag with me, but if you want to fill the tank sooner I could drop it by this week, sure.

Update? Kevin stopped by last night to get a fix on his frag jones (I'm such the enabler), and he said you were thinking of setting up on Saturday. Let me know what you want to do.

Archived