inTank Media Baskets

Clam killing snails!

ApocalypticSurf6

ApocalypticSurf6

Ok has anyone ever heard of nassarius snails eating crocea clams because I was beside myself this morning when I found two of my three nassarius snails half in my little croceas shell and had eaten just about all of it except two little pieces of lips that were still colored up fully. They ate my perfectly healthy crocea and Im stumped because Iv never heard of such a thing. If its not ovbious by now the snails went back to the LFS. I will never buy omnivorous snails agian. Only herbs for now on

nass snails will only eat an organism such as a clam that is dead or on its way out ... which was most likely the case.

ApocalypticSurf6

yea I know right, and thats what I thought and have read a million times but my clam was thriving, under a 70w 14000k MH bulb in a 10 g tank fully open being fed DT's phyto usually everyday if not every other. Water is perfect, plenty of flow. His lips were still fully colored and completly alive when I pulled them away. I'm baffled

neanderthalman

That sucks.

70W might not have been enough light. Sure, it's MH, but it's not a hell of a lot of MH.

I read the topic name and thought you meant your clam was killing your snails.

Also, either:

1. They weren't actually nass snails.

2. The clam wasn't doing as well as you thought it was.

GrandeGixxer

Also, I didn't know that these types of clams had "lips," I thought they had a mantle. I guess I will have to inform my wife of that. :D

ApocalypticSurf6

mantle if Im not mistaken refers to the entire fleshy part of the clam, I am specifically talking about the very outer lip of the mantle so I figured lips people would understand what I ment

bubbles3660
mantle if Im not mistaken refers to the entire fleshy part of the clam, I am specifically talking about the very outer lip of the mantle so I figured lips people would understand what I ment

Maybe your spectrum choice of 14K MH has stressed the clam. I recall reading that they prefer 10K or less.

--M

Maybe your spectrum choice of 14K MH has stressed the clam. I recall reading that they prefer 10K or less.

--M

most probably not, its not really the bulb temperature they care about, its how much intensity they receive. some 14k bulbs put out as much intensity as 10k bulbs.

bubbles3660
most probably not, its not really the bulb temperature they care about, its how much intensity they receive. some 14k bulbs put out as much intensity as 10k bulbs.

So the light frequency would have no impact on the photosynthetic productivity of the zooanthellae? I'm not sure about that. Crocea are found in shallower waters where the Kelvin rating is closer to 10K - perhaps even less. Correct?

--bubbles

ApocalypticSurf6

no offense the light is a good thought but we have clams under 14's at the LFS i work at and they are doing amazing, I was told perhaps a high iodine level could have done it because I did dose some supplements in my tank. I was also thinking maybe my light is to high off my tank, its about 10 inches off my 10gallon and the clam was in the sand, Im going to move my light closer and try another clam in a few months

Archived