inTank Media Baskets

Clown Goby and a Clam. C(>{ + ({}) = Good or Bad?

BBDreef

Hi "Advanced Nano Reef Keepers!"

I am planning on making a Clown Goby and Clam reef tank! I just have a few concerns about this tank before going through with it. From what I have researched so far, Clown Gobies, "perch" most of the day. Then I researched clams, and I learned that the most sensitive part of the clam is the mantle. My worry is that the Clown Goby would perch on the Clam's mantle, thus stressing the clam, and eventually leading to the Clam's death. I am thinking I am over reacting, but I just wanted to put in play the "worst case scenerio." So basically my initial question is, would they be able to live together?

My other questions include:

-What Clam is better under 150w HQI Metal Halide lighting in a shallow tank (12')? Maxima or Crocea?

-How quickly do each of these clams grow, per year?

-How big does a clam have to be for it to be almost completly photosynthetic?

Thank you.

Hi "Advanced Nano Reef Keepers!"

I am planning on making a Clown Goby and Clam reef tank! I just have a few concerns about this tank before going through with it. From what I have researched so far, Clown Gobies, "perch" most of the day. Then I researched clams, and I learned that the most sensitive part of the clam is the mantle. My worry is that the Clown Goby would perch on the Clam's mantle, thus stressing the clam, and eventually leading to the Clam's death. I am thinking I am over reacting, but I just wanted to put in play the "worst case scenerio." So basically my initial question is, would they be able to live together?

My other questions include:

-What Clam is better under 150w HQI Metal Halide lighting in a shallow tank (12')? Maxima or Crocea?

-How quickly do each of these clams grow, per year?

-How big does a clam have to be for it to be almost completly photosynthetic?

Thank you.

any clam is fine under 150w metal halide, especially if shallow.

maximas will grow anywhere from .5-1.5 inches a year, croceas slower

clams are 100% photosynthetic right off birth

hth

always phtosynthetic...although Reef Roids and phytoplankton are highly recommended supplements.

i had a clown goby and it always perched in my crocea clam. i noticed the clam's mantle did not extend fully due to the fact it was always being bothered. after i moved my CG to my nanocube and after a few days the clam went to being it's old self.

it depends on the fish and where everything is placed.

hope this helps

geekreef_05

I disagree.

I have a 150MH fixture over a tank that is about 12" hieght and i dont think its enough light. Its enough to sustain it, but not enough for it to thrive.

...then again, I have stupid coralife bulbs that suck.

In addition, clams in nano's is super difficult. Be careful and go in well researched.

Archived