SaltCritters.com

14g Anemone Biocube!

sslak

less heat in winter is bad! :o

if you ask most people 900 has too much flow unless you have almost nothing to filter the water or you mod the opening from chamber one wider.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
less heat in winter is bad! :o

if you ask most people 900 has too much flow unless you have almost nothing to filter the water or you mod the opening from chamber one wider.

Actually if you ask MOST people, they will have modded the chambers and replaced the pump. The stock pump creates too much heat for not enough flow. Chillers are expensive, heaters are cheap. Reduce your pump created heat and eliminate the need to worry about cooling. More flow is ALWAYS better, your corals and fish will appreciate the extra turnover.

As far as not having anything to filter the water, isn't that the whole point? Does the ocean have filter pads? No, it has live rock, sand, and macro alagae for biological filtration. If you're looking to become less dependant on man-made filtration media, these mods are great!

does your tank have unlimited supply of fresh salt water flowing? i dont think so... you need to filter the water.

Nor does the ocean... hence water changes and for the ocean its on a larger scale just called rain.

I like the tank! I just started one about two months ago. I went with the mj900 with the hydor flo, and a hydor koralia nano on the other side. It creates a lot of random mild flow. I think placement of the coral becomes a big issue with how much flow you want in your tank. Nobody wants to see their expensive coral get beat to death.

You filter the water with water changes, just like the ocean, Billions of gallons turnover. You don't really need all kinds of chemical filtrations..

Dark were you posting a comment towards me? No, not arguing. Chemical filtration is not absolutely necessary, though, maybe carbon every other month or so to polish and rid of some random chemicals that may have entered or leeched into the tank especially in such small volumes of water like nanos... Youre using purigen correct? It removes organic wastes, just as a water change or some macroalgae. My 75 gallon that has been setup 2.5 yrs never had any chemical filtrations/additives other than dosing calcium. Big water changes with highquality salt mix, fuge, skimmer.

Yes, actually my tank DOES have an endless supply of fresh saltwater. I do 15-20% water changes weekly using Reef Crystals, which in my experience has been more than sufficient to maintain ideal water chemistry.

Also, before you flame me by telling me what I need for filtration, take the time to read the entire thread. I do use filtration other than biological, I just use much less than the stock configuration requires because of my biological filtration methods.

SG 1.025

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 0

PH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Alk - Normal

Ca - 450

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

SSLAK your tank is coming along nicely keep it up.

As far as comments regarding the MJ900 it is not only a more practical mod (wattage/heat issue) but also good for nutrient turnover. Your corals could also benefit from more flow to deliver nutrients to the zooanthellae within your corals.

i just installed the mj900 into my BC14 and put two locline heads going into the main tank.

The Y decreases the intensity than running just the 1 head but you can tell there is more random flow in the tank now and turning over more gph.

I think the water looks much better and I have noticed a little more activity from the few crabs and snails I currently have in there.

Nice Tank.

About water flow. I set my tank up in April with the stock pump and a Hydor Flo. I had problems with the HF popping off, so I wound some Scotch tape around the end to make a snug fit. That worked until two weeks ago, when I swapped the stock pump for a Maxijet 1200. I couldn't get the HF to stay on and I didn't want to glue it so I ran to the hardware store in Cross Plains and stuck a tiny satinless steel screw in to hold it. It runs great, but I need to open up the wall between chamber 1 and 2 to accomodate the flow. The water level in the tank is about 1/8" above the top of the grate. My corals DEFINITELY are doing better since the upgrade. I don't have any tall stuff near the front of the tank to blow around though. I took my Kenya tree to my 180 for pruning...

At some point, I'll need to frag some of these zoas. I have 17 kinds that I need to make room for. I got some zoas and two montiporas from Zoanuts recently. Some of the zoas coraked, otherwise I'd really be crowded! See the thumbnail below.

I think you are in the Madison area, so drop me a note and I'll keep you in mind when the time comes. I saw that you were looking for a little plate coral. Still interested? I have a rock in the 180 that grows them!

Pets_Unlimited_Fish_Guy, I might be able to help you out in February with some frags too. I have family in Marietta off Powder Springs Rd near the Home Despot. They are visiting at the end of January, and might be able to bring a frag or two back...

post-25244-1193150135_thumb.jpg

Hey, if you were still looking for a plate oscarsdad on the MARS forum had a bunch of babies up for trade. I picked up two from him and they are great looking.

Yep, I've been working on getting in touch with him to trade off some of my Orange monti cap for a couple of his baby plates. I have just been very busy.

stuck a tiny satinless steel screw in to hold it.

If I were you I would get the steel screw our and look for a plastic screw. Readily available.

JMO FWIW

I would agree...stainless "should" be ok. As it won't corrode in saltwater, but I wouldn't want any metal in my tank if it can be avoided. You could even use a small plastic pin or something.

• 2 months later...

Archived