ReefCleaners.org

14g Anemone Biocube!

sslak

... you need a little more rock IMO =)

I have 10lbs. already curing. I'm anxiously awaiting my new aqua-scape. I also plan to add more rock to the Refugium.

Looks great! =) Nice stand too!

Thanks!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refugium mod complete!!! I've added a 13w compact flourescent to the 2nd chamber with rock and chaeto.

Here are the materials I used. 1 Plastic Electrical box, 1 scrubber pad, Foil, adhesive velcro, clamp light socket, 13w compact flourescent.

Materials.jpg

I found this plastic electrical box at Home Depot, I cut the tube off the back. This opening will be the heat vent.

BoxCut.jpg

I cut some of the scrubber pad to fit the back of the box. This will cover the opening to prevent light from leaking, but allow the heat to escape.

FilterVent.jpg

I cut and folded foil to back the bulb as a reflector.

FoilReflector.jpg

I then lined the front edge of the box with the fuzzy felt half of the adhesive velcro

FinishedVelcro.jpg

Finally I had to use a razor to scrape the black paint off the back of the section that will be my Fuge. I outlined this with the plastic spikey portion of the adhesive velcro.

BackScraped.jpg

Here's the finished mod from the back with the bulb lit. You can see hardly any light escapes.

BackLit.jpg

Here it is on the back of the tank...not too bad eh?

FugeComplete.jpg

A shot of the chamber from above showing the light inside, it's really pretty bright. I should have tons of chaeto in no time.

LitInside.jpg

Great tank. Looks awesome, especially when that other 10 lbs of LR cures. That light box for the fuge mod is seriously the coolest light mod I have seen in a while. Looking forward to future posts and pics! Im getting a pre-established 14g BioCube in the next few days so you are giving me some tips and tricks :happydance:

Bryan

OMG!!! So I noticed today that I haven't seen my wrasse for a while. The more I thought about it, the more I worried. I don't think I had seen him in at least 3 days. (Since I did the fuge mod)

I popped the top on the tank and peer into the back chambers with a flash light....and yep, there he is. Poor little wrasse was swimming around in the pump chamber for 2-3 days. I had a heck of a time getting him out of there, but was finally able to net him and drop him back into the main tank!!!

He seems happy and healthy (although HUNGRY!) he ate a ton of cyclopeez when I finally did rescue him.

I guess he tried to make a break for it when I had the top off to do the fuge mod. Luckily he missed carpet surfing by a matter of inches and ended up in the pump chamber instead. I'm amazed he survived, that chamber would have been nearly dry when I did my water change.

gnarly fuge mod!

What do you have sitting in the fuge?

Right now I have a bag of Purigen covering the inlet from the fuge to the pump chamber. I also have 5-6 small pieces of live rock and a small clump of Chaeto. I'm going to add more live rock rubble when it is finished curing, and my hopes are that with the addition of light, the Chaeto should grow on its own!

Ruh Roh!!! I noticed last night that my tube anemone is on the move! He's pulled his tube out of the sand and I can see small feet looking clear tentacles coming out of the sand. I think he's going for a walk, I'll get pictures when I get home!

sweet fuge mod, does it stay cool?, i velcro-ed a 50 watt halogen to the back of my chamber2, then stuck it in a wall unit, filled with rock and water, obviously itwas runnin in the 90's duh, and i got a sunpod mh on a reverse cycle which heated it up to 90 in the day ( this was while cycling) i added 2fans to the back and it solved everything tank runs 79-80 all day

Yep, it stays nice and cool. I can feel the heat from the bulb rising out of the back and the tank temp didn't even raise a fraction of a degree. I also run the fuge light on the same schedule as my tank lights.

I got a new fish this weekend!!! omgomgomg It's a Stonogobiops nematodes - The common name was "Yellow Rose Goby" but I've also seen it listed as a Barbershop Goby. I will post pictures when I get home today!

How good is the Chaeto growing? Thats a nice mod, I bet you have to clean the glass a lot back there though :D

How good is the Chaeto growing? Thats a nice mod, I bet you have to clean the glass a lot back there though :D

I haven't had to clean the glass so far, but I think thats because I didn't have much rock in the back and the flow was so high with the MJ900 that algae didn't have a chance to grow.

Wooohoo!

I've added another 5 lbs. of rock to the main display and another 1lb to the fuge area!

You guys aren't even going to beleive how cool my aquascape looks. (if anyone is reading this)

I'll have pics up when I get home tonight or tomorrow! :haha:

Update for 8/8/07

It was Bratwurst night after a few long hours of wet salty hands and arms. The work was well worth it, I hope you all agree!

Here are some updated shots with my additional rock and newly designed aqua-scape!!

FTS8-7-07.jpg

FTS28-7-07.jpg

It may not seem like I changed much but I actually added 3 pretty decent sized rocks. I really like the 'cave' so I tried to maintain that with this design. The fish really seem to enjoy swimming through it. I also found that Shrimp Daddy now has a new hangout. He loves it upside down right under the rock that the Red Montipora Cap. is attached to!

I'm extremely pleased with this arrangement and now it's time to start sticking those awesome zoas to the rock!

[WDT]TardFarmer
Thanks!

How do you keep your temps down? I just tried this mod and my temps started climbing. I cut open the top of the electrical box also to allow more heat to escape but no luck so far.

TardFarmer' date='Aug 11 2007, 05:57 PM' post='1248078']

How do you keep your temps down? I just tried this mod and my temps started climbing. I cut open the top of the electrical box also to allow more heat to escape but no luck so far.

I keep my Air Conditioning at 74 and I've never had a problem with my temps. If you do run without A/C you should set the fuge light to an opposite rotation from your hood lights.

I keep my Air Conditioning at 74 and I've never had a problem with my temps. If you do run without A/C you should set the fuge light to an opposite rotation from your hood lights.

how long do you have your fuge light on?

how long do you have your fuge light on?

I leave it on from 8am to 9pm the same duration that my 10k bulb is on. I run the actinic 1 hour earlier and 1 hour later than the rest for a dusk/dawn effect. (Also because it looks sweet)

My chaeto has more than doubled since I put the light back there.

Great tank!

Thanks!

Archived