SaltCritters.com

14g Anemone Biocube!

sslak

I purchased this Biocube (stock) from a fellow reefer here in Wisconsin. Currently the setup is as follows:

Chamber 1-------

Eheim Jager 50w Heater

PURA Pad - full spectrum filtration

Purigen 100 Bag

Opening to chamber 2 widened

Temp probe

Chamber 2-------

BioBalls removed - replaced with live rock rubble

Ball of chaeto macro algae

13w 6500k bulb shining through rear glass for macro algae growth

Chamber 3--------

Blue Sponge Removed

MJ900 Replaced stock pump

Replaced green tubing with a slightly longer piece of clear flex tube

I made the stand myself out of white pine (Brush painted Latex Semi-gloss Black)

Full Tank shot 1 day after moving it to my apartment!

6-11-07.jpg

Front View Inside the Tank

6-11Front.jpg

Great News!!! Everything seems to have survived the move happy and healthy!!!

As you can see by the pics the corals are opening up nicely and my fish seem very happy!

6/14/07 - 3 days after the move!

6-14-06TankShot.jpg

The Pink Tube Anem is open and happily munching down shrimp!

6-14-06PinkTube.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a MJ900 and a bag of Purgien as well as a Hydor Flow coming!!! omgomgomgomgomgomg

I am going to try replacing the stock sponge with the Purgien bag (if that doesn't work it's going in chamber 1)

Also I plan to replace the stock pump with the MJ900 for more FLO!

Did I ever list my inhabitants?!?! NO? Well here it is:

1 Extremely Sexy Ocellaris Clown

1 Cleaner Shrimp (Shrimp Daddy)

1 Sixline Wrasse

1 Green-blue Chromis

1 Pink Tube anemone

1 Queen Conch

Kenya Tree

Frogspawn

Green-tip Hammer Coral

Green Star Polyps

Shrooms

CuC = Blue Legged Hermits, Red Hermit, Snailes etc.

Eye Candy:

Shrimp.jpg

ClownClear.jpg

FullTank6-20.jpg

Get some more rock! You're almost out of real-estate for corals :(

Everything looks so niceeee. Nano-sized corals :P

Yep, more rock is in the works. I would like to get my 2nd chamber ready for a fuge before I buy rock. I plan to do a new aquascape and at the same time crush up some rubble for my fuge.

All in good time. My MJ900 and HydorFlo should be here today!! :happydance:

HydorFlo and MJ900 installed!!!

Now I see the need to cut the wall between the 1st and 2nd chambers to allow more overflow. I also need to find a good way to prevent my Chaeto from getting sucked into chamber 3 into my pump. I have the stock sponge installed now, but would like to replace that. I also put in a bag of Purigen between chambers 2 and 3.

I've noticed micro-bubbles now that I installed the MJ900, I didn't cut the flex tubing to fit, so maybe one of the seals is sucking in a little air. I'll get some zip ties and tighten the connections. The 900 might just be too much flow but my hammer coral sure seems to like it.

Today I cut out the lip between chambers 1 and 2. This has significantly increased my flow to chamber 2!

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up more live rock. I want to fill chamber 2 with rubble as well as build up a much larger aquascape.

I'm also getting some watermelon Zoas!! omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

Yes, I do have stock lighting (for now) The Monti seems to be doing extremely well...

I may have damaged it by accident :angry:

I had a little (but steadily growing) aiptasia poking out right between the GSP and the Montipora and when I tried to apply some Joe's Juice, the tip of the syringe clogged a bit, so when I squeezed it exploded out in a big blob all over the GSP and the montipora. Now my monti has some small spots that appear to be bleached and the GSP hasn't emerged since.

The GSP dying wouldn't bother me as I have LOTS more on a different rock and this stuff was encroaching on my Monti. Is there anything else Joe's Juice will damage? I didn't intend to get it on anything but the aiptasia, and will have to be more careful in the future.

Good news, the plate monti as well as the GSP have recovered from the explosion of Joes' Juice :lol:

Easy mod complete! I've now trimmed chamber 1 to allow more flow into chamber 2! Added a few pieces of small rock to chamber 2, soon to have more when my new rock is cured and my new aquascape is done!

Chamber1Before.jpg

Chamber1After.jpg

I've got some new Zoos! I also have about 5lbs of live rock to add as soon as I'm done curing it. I plan to re-aquascape a bit and glue these cool zoos to the new rock structure so they can start growing over it!

Yellow-Orange-GreenZoo.jpg

WatermellonZoo.jpg

The shrimp is such a ham! He loves having his picture taken!!

Maroon-BlueMouth.jpg

GreenZoo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed the Hydor-Flo. I didn't really like how it pushed my corals and things around on a seemingly random basis. They would just start to relax and the flow would blast them from the side again. I put the original nozzle back on, but I am still using the MJ900.

I've removed the Hydor-Flo. I didn't really like how it pushed my corals and things around on a seemingly random basis. They would just start to relax and the flow would blast them from the side again. I put the original nozzle back on, but I am still using the MJ900.

random flow like that is good for them. they'll get used to it and stay opened.

I may start using it again when I add the rock I have curing and re-do my Aqua-Scape. We shall see!

The constant flow is more aesthetically pleasing, and really thats what it's all about right?

I may start using it again when I add the rock I have curing and re-do my Aqua-Scape. We shall see!

The constant flow is more aesthetically pleasing, and really thats what it's all about right?

I don't agree with aesthetics being what it's all about. You don't put a tang in a 14g tank just because it looks good right?

Also, turbulent flow looks much better than laminar. Don't you want to mimic the ocean? In the ocean things sway all over the place randomly. In my opinion it looks better. Have you seen Tunze Waveboxes in action on the bigger tanks? Go do a youtube search =) It's awesome.

Also your zoos and such will stay open all the time once they get used to the flow. Give them a day, and they will understand that the turbulence isn't an animal eating them and will stay open and strong.

I have my zoos in almost direct turbulence with 3000gph hitting them from all sides. They're multiplying, and always open, sometimes even under moonlight.

My xenia sway all over the place too, looks great =) And it's always fun seeing a hermit fly across the tank!!

Actually, the kenya tree was the most unhappy about the Hydor Flo, and I did use it for nearly a week before taking it off. The MAIN reason that I removed it was that when I did a water change the HydorFlow blew right off and landed nearly in my anemone! I put it back on and 2 minutes later it blew off again. I am not convinced that I want to glue it permanently in place.

I DO want to get random flow in the tank, and likely I will use it again once I'm done aquascaping so I can actually glue my corals to the rock. Right now they're getting blown around and I don't want to lose/kill any of them!

This doesn't have much to do with reefkeeping, but it's entertaining...

My stapler kept disappearing at work so I replaced it with this Red Swingline...I'm wondering if anyone will get the reference.

I like to be subtle.

AflacSwingline.jpg

Good News Everybody! My replacement ballast came in from Oceanic, and I have actinic light again!! Yay! They even sent me a spare ballast so if I have one go out again I won't have to wait for shipping. Awesome customer service, no hassle and they took care of the problem. Go Go Oceanic.

Well, I've noticed (and I'm sure you all can see too) that my sand bed looks very dirty!!! WHY!?!?

What IS that stuff!?!

Perhaps some of it is hermit shell fragments or poo, but how can I make it look all nice and clean like so many other tanks I see?

I am looking at getting a red banded hi-fin Goby, would he help by sifting sand??

HUGE update of pictures coming tomorrow (assuming they turned out)

more flow will get rid of stuff building up on your sand. it may also mean the finer sand will fly around and get caught in filters, which is fine since then you can pump more water without worrying about cloudiness.

show us a picture of what you have on your sand bed.

more flow will get rid of stuff building up on your sand. it may also mean the finer sand will fly around and get caught in filters, which is fine since then you can pump more water without worrying about cloudiness.

show us a picture of what you have on your sand bed.

I really think 340gph should be plenty for a 14g tank. I've replaced the stock pump with an MJ900, and any more flow would certainly pump chamber 3 dry faster than gravity can fill it.

Ok, well I finally recieved my replacement ballast from Oceanic! The nice people sent me a spare in case one fails again. What excellent customer service! The good news is my tank is once again Photo-worthy!!

Here are some of my latest pictures. I really tried to get pictures of the fish but they are SO FAST and my camera doesn't take great shots without flash.

My Pink Tube Anemone, I wish I could get atinic shots to turn out. He's flourescent pink under the actinics

Anemone7-19.jpg

My adorable little clown (taken with flash)

Clown7-19.jpg

The clown again and my six-line wrasse

Clown-Wrasse7-19.jpg

Full tank shots (made the stand myself...not bad for an office guy)

TankPlace7-19.jpg

FTS-7-19.jpg

AngleFTS7-19.jpg

Actinic shot of some of my Zoos

ActinicZoos7-19.jpg

Actinic shot (with flash) turned out kinda neat

ActinicFTS7-19.jpg

I just found out I have a half day of work so I am going to the fish stores today omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

Stuff I need: Scraper, better syphon, ?coral?

I just found out I have a half day of work so I am going to the fish stores today omgomgomg:happydance:omgomgomg

Stuff I need: Scraper, better syphon, ?coral?

Looks great! =) Nice stand too!

Archived