Cultivated Reef

90g Oceanic Tech

lgreen

Hi Nano Reefers,

Tomorrow I am going to put in my order for a 90g Oceanic Tech series tank in stainless steel. Planning to document it's setup and progress here.

90g Oceanic Tech Series w/ Oceanic Model 2 Sump + Plenum

Summary of Setup

Tank:

90g Oceanic Tech Series Tank w/ starfire glass, euro-braced, stainless steel (48”x18”x25”)

Stand:

Oceanic Tech Series Stand in stainless steel (48”x18”x32”)

Sump:

Oceanic Model 2 Sump (36”x12”x18”)

Lighting:

MH

-2x175w MH SE 10k XM (will probably upgrade to 2x250) w/ hamilton ballasts

VHO

-4x110w VHO UV Brand Super Actinics w/ ARO Electronic Ballast

Filtration:

Display

-80 lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand (1")

-70 lbs Fiji Live Rock

Sump/Refugium/Remote Plenum/Frag Tank

-Jaubert/Sprung/GARF/Goemans Style Plenum

-100 lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand (4”)

-Chaeto

-Euro-Reef RC135 Recirculating Protein Skimmer w/ Sedra SP3 fed by Maxi-Jet 600

Heating & Cooling:

-Fans

-200-400w Heater (s) to be decided

Circulation:

-Closed Loop Featuring 2x 3/4" Seaswirls & 2 Eheim 1262 Pumps

-Mag 12 Return from sump w/ penductors

Dosing/Water Changes:

-Spectrapure 90 gph RO/DI Unit

-Reef Crystals Salt

-Deltec PF509 Calcium Reactor

-Pinpoint pH controller

-Pinpoint pH monitor (to monitor effluent)

-Deltec KM 500 Kalkwasser Stirrer (all top off water will run through this)

-ATO (not sure which one yet, probably jbj or tunze)

From some online store:

OceanicTechSS.jpg

Location in my living room where it will go (basically where the piano is):

4zt2ceh.jpg

WOOT! If all goes well, hopefully it will be here Thursday. It will probably take me a few months to get all the stuff I need to actually set it up. Hopefully I'd like to have it up and thriving by for our local reef club's reef tour which is next april.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Droolzz.. :wub:

What do you have in mind? Emphasis on fish, corals, or EVERYTHING!?!?! :D

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing this come along! :naughtydance:

Droolzz.. :wub:

What do you have in mind? Emphasis on fish, corals, or EVERYTHING!?!?! :D

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing this come along! :naughtydance:

Thanks. Probably a little bit of everything, although I've had an itch for SPS that I need to scratch. Probably just the usual reef fish like dwarf angels, tangs, wrasses, clowns, etc.

Wow a 90 gallon per hour RO/DI Unit? Don't you think that's overkill? :happy:

I tend to over do things.

lgreen, can you make sure to take lots of photos. I'm reallllllly curious to see some good photos of the tech tanks.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/re...?searchterm=175

175w iwasaki's to replace those ushios. You'll get more light!

66ppfd vs. 87ppfd on the iwasaki

You think 150w of heater is enough for 90g? o.O

Ah. Thanks for the light info.

Eh...the heater is a mistake. I'll change that. I forgot to change it from my initial planning list which was for a smaller tank. I've got a ton of heaters laying around so I should have something that will work.

There will be lots of photos ;)

You lucky b*stard. What a sweet setup. Keep this thread going, when are you going to start cycling? What type of LR are you considering?

You lucky b*stard. What a sweet setup. Keep this thread going, when are you going to start cycling? What type of LR are you considering?

Lol. Thanks. I made the mistake last time of starting the tank before I had all the plumbing and crap work done, and then basically just never got around to finishing it. So this time I'm going to finish everything before I start it. Probably won't put water in it at least for a month or two until I get all the stuff and have it setup how I want it.

The awesome thing is my sink is right behind were the tank is going, so instant access to water and a drain. That will make water changes awesome and I can put my RO/Di unit under the sink and maybe just pop a little hole in the wall and run a tube over for top off.

Also, it will be nice to have such a huge area under the tank so that hopefully I can have room to use most of the sump as a frag tank/refugium in addition to the plenum. I will probably grab some VHO's to stick under there to keep any sps frags happy.

I'm not totally thrilled about the tank being 25" tall because I don't really like tall tanks and I'm short, but I like the tech tank enough that I guess I'll put up with it. We have the 120g version at the fish store right now and it is amazing! Just too big for me though! 90g will be plenty too big as it is, lol.

punk-o-rama

if i were you i would get 250w halides. Thats wat im planning for my 80g but if the $$$$$$ arent there than 175's will still be sweet.

Yeah, I really think it needs 250w'ers.

Anyway, ordered it today and they said they will call and see if it is available. If so, I will have it in my living room Thursday night!

awesome tanks, im debating between a tech 70 or a custom made acrylic tank, i cant make up my mind.... those are really nice tanks though, lucky you!

awesome tanks, im debating between a tech 70 or a custom made acrylic tank, i cant make up my mind.... those are really nice tanks though, lucky you!

The only thing I don't like about the tech tank is the height. I was under the impression that most reefers do not prefer tall show tanks, but rather shallow long tanks, so I kind of think oceanic missed the mark by making all their tanks 25" tall. That is the only thing I don't like about the 70g tech is that it is so dang tall that it almost seems taller than longer and throws off the proportions.

Like I said, I would have passed since I hate tall tanks, but the tech tank was just so awesome that I decided to deal with it.

OMG AWESOME, LG!

THANK YOU C7!

foget the MJs go with 4 K3 and 2 K4s, just my thought, also go iwasaki u will love it!

Done. Nice thing is the overflow is oversized and has 4 holes drilled. The eurobracing also has 4 holes drilled for drop down plumbing from the top. Therefore it should work perfect for a closed loop. I think I should go that route in addition to the k3's.

I'll look into bulbs again when I figure out what ballast I am getting. Make sure I am getting the best bulbs for my ballast.

Nice tank will follow along.

I love Tech tanks am actually itching to upgrade my 75g to a 120g Tech Tank, its so wide and sexy. So much space

Am so jealous, can't wait to see it.

i sense a om4way plumbed over the top euro bracing? ;]

Hadn't thought of that. Interesting. Almost like it was designed just for it, ha ha. We'll see.

Nice tank will follow along.

I love Tech tanks am actually itching to upgrade my 75g to a 120g Tech Tank, its so wide and sexy. So much space

Am so jealous, can't wait to see it.

Thanks. Ooh, we have the 120g in black at the fish store where I work. It is awesome!

Have you seen the 120g tech's on reef central? They look amazing. Jealous of those using the solaris on it.

if i get the 70 that was my plans for it;D they are just so expensive though.. just remember if u do it and i do i didnt copy you! hahah

I know the 120g is awesome, my LFS has one on sale for $1,700. It comes with HO t5's I just don't remember if its 6 or 8 bulbs, and a sump. Is it xmas yet haha.

if i get the 70 that was my plans for it;D they are just so expensive though.. just remember if u do it and i do i didnt copy you! hahah

lol, i suck at plumbing so we'll see. i feel overwhelmed just plumbing a sump, let a lone a closed loop. might have to invite a plumber friend over to help me out.

I know the 120g is awesome, my LFS has one on sale for $1,700. It comes with HO t5's I just don't remember if its 6 or 8 bulbs, and a sump. Is it xmas yet haha.

wow, not too bad of a price actually w/ the lights and sump.

I was quoted about $900 for my tank, stand, and sump.

Our 120g is selling for about $1300 w/ sump.

The only thing I don't like about the tech tank is the height. I was under the impression that most reefers do not prefer tall show tanks, but rather shallow long tanks, so I kind of think oceanic missed the mark by making all their tanks 25" tall. That is the only thing I don't like about the 70g tech is that it is so dang tall that it almost seems taller than longer and throws off the proportions.

Like I said, I would have passed since I hate tall tanks, but the tech tank was just so awesome that I decided to deal with it.

THANK YOU C7!

Done. Nice thing is the overflow is oversized and has 4 holes drilled. The eurobracing also has 4 holes drilled for drop down plumbing from the top. Therefore it should work perfect for a closed loop. I think I should go that route in addition to the k3's.

I'll look into bulbs again when I figure out what ballast I am getting. Make sure I am getting the best bulbs for my ballast.

actually mr. green I have been giving it some thought and a tall tank works well because it gives you the impression of open space. If you look at all the top sps tanks, you might find that the difference between good and great is the open space.

Provided there is still enough horizontal space, and depth for workability. Proportional is really important, and I suspect it might be the unconscious reason that drives people to bigger tanks. As much as the "not enough room" excuse in my opinion

actually mr. green I have been giving it some thought and a tall tank works well because it gives you the impression of open space. If you look at all the top sps tanks, you might find that the difference between good and great is the open space.

Provided there is still enough horizontal space, and depth for workability. Proportional is really important, and I suspect it might be the unconscious reason that drives people to bigger tanks. As much as the "not enough room" excuse in my opinion

True, I'll give you that. It is not so bad on the 90g and 120g, but the 70g and 45g look a little too tall to me. I just hate show tanks.

I guess my main beef is that I'm only 5'7" and I cant reach down very far with out a step stool :(:lol:

I haven't seen the tech tanks in person. Where'd you order yours from, LG?

PS check out the new sig (Futurama made me LOL, had to sig-ify it)

I think a lot of us would actually go with slightly taller tanks is it weren't for the light issue. Halides penetrate the depth of the water better IMO. But actually a taller tank can be great if you really consider placing your corals in the tank based on their light needs. IE you can put your zoas and schrooms at the bottom, working your way up to perhaps your anemones and sps at the top. This is actually a really good excercise to practive as I think many of us are guilty of placing frags wherever they may look best. I have had grags that I thought were doing fine before I moved them on a lark and saw the new placement really accelerate their growth. I just tucked a sun coral into a lip beneath a rock one one tank and saw it really take off. Thats what I always thought was funny about anemones. If they don't like the light they will pretty much say "screw this, I'm moving!" :haha: :haha: :haha:

Anyhow, yeah Oceanic makes beautiful tanks. My next tank will undoubtedly be the 50 gallon Oceanic reef ready starfire. I love the dimmensions on that tank. Keep us posted.

I think a lot of us would actually go with slightly taller tanks is it weren't for the light issue. Halides penetrate the depth of the water better IMO.

Can you explain this?

Archived