Pod Your Reef

First clam

flricordia

Finally took the leap and got my first clam. So far it seems to be doing well. It is right under a 70wt 14k MH. Don't know a lot about leeping them except what I have read, no personal experiance though I have seen a few die away from worms or other such in a friends tank.

Funny about the lighting. From above the tank looking at the clam through the water's surface, it is green, and from the front of the tank looking in through the glass, it is blue.

8473clam-med.jpg

Nice clam, they are a lot of fun. Mine is same in that under daylight its green and orange and under 14K its purple/blue and orange.

They usually don't die from worms, they usually deteriorate in health and the worms/snails take advantage. Some cases there are snails that prey on them but thats more rare.

Depending on your species will depend on its care. One thing thats common for all is to watch your Ca as clams are known to soak it up pretty fast.

good luck and here is a helpful link

Thanks for the info. I faithfully run kalk in my top-off pretty much maintaining the calcium level at around 420 and the ph at 8.4. What would you recommend for a food stuff? I have some phytoplex on hand right now. It might be old though. I bought it back in Nov 06.

Im gonna say 70 watt MH would be the smallest light. I kept mine in my NC6 with for a year with a 70 watt and it doubled in size almost.

I am guessing my 70 is plenty as the tank is a 14gl and the clam is only 8 inches below.

Don't freak, I have a large sump packed with chaeto/LR attatched. I have kept nanos since I started reef keeping. The largest reef tank I have ever owned was a 20 long back in '83 and it was when FL LR was available. It was packed with christmas tree worms that all went to spawning one day. That was the good ol' days.

I have two Croceas in my 8 with 70w MH, They seem to be loving life!!!! The larger one has had unbelievable growth in the past 6 months! Just make sure you parameters are stable and all is good! :lol:

Archived