inTank Media Baskets

Can anemones sting croceas?

AaronJ

1 yes. 1 no.

Anyone else?

I'm leaning towards yes since I've haven't heard of many things immune to the anemones sting.

clifford513
FS: Neon green bubble tip anemone. :)

In a 24g, there should be plenty of room to place a gbta and a clam in different areas. Just put the gbta in first and after it is settled, add the clam. Should be okay, imo.

The mantles on croceas, as well as all other tridacna's, are exceedingly sensitive. Yes, they can definitely be stung by anemonies, they can also be burned by corals, and they can be nibbled on by fish.

and really, do gbta's ever really settle down? aren't they kind of unpredictably mobile? Put it this way, the clam is not going to be able to get out of the anemones path, so just make sure to place the clam accordingly.

and good luck with the crocea, they're quite beautiful; i only wish i had the requisite light levels to maintain one (though I did just pick up a squamosa and a derasa).

at coral oasis they had that japanese anemone that stung AND THEN ATE the crocea that was sitting next to it!

Jesse

Wow. Thank you guys for all the responses. I just got the Crocea last night. With the anemone fully extended, they are still about 4 inches away (Pretty close for comfort, I know).

I don't want to risk anything happening, so I'm removing the anemone tonight and trading him in for some credit. My clown is going to be devastated...

This clam is beautiful. I just posted some photos of the clam & ricordea I picked up last night in my 24g Aquapod thread. Please go take a look and let me know what you think.

I was referring to the following excerpt, but you can find more detailed information on the web...

"Certain species of crabs, such as members of the family Portunidae, also prey on clams, and attempt to tear out parts of the syphonal mantle. Most of these, however, will seldom cause serious problems as long as the clams are not too small. Catching a crab can be tricky, but using a simple baited crab trap, like a drinking glass leaning on a rock, is successful most of the time. The crabs come out of their hiding places at night to search for food, fall into the glass and are unable to escape.

Another type of predator are the bristleworms common in many aquaria. It is not yet clear whether the bristleworms are actually responsible for killing the clam or whether they are just opportunistic feeders— that is, they are able to detect that a clam is dying before it becomes obvious to the aquarist, make their way inside the shell, and happily feed on the tissues. The same is true for fish or shrimps, such as the cleaner shrimp Lysmata amboinensis, which is sometimes found nibbling or pulling on the mantle of the clam. Underfed specimens may appear to harass clams as they will eat the slime coat from the mantle."

zerocool5878
its actually a coral banded. I haven't heard anything about them being a problem with clams... am I wrong?

My CBS is the leader of the delta sigma phi Fraternity inside my reef. He terrorizes anything(Hermits, starfish, corals, you name it) but only upon introduction. He does this for a few days and after that he leaves them alone. I have not witnessed an actual ceremony yet but im sure they do take place.

My CBS is the leader of the delta sigma phi Fraternity inside my reef. He terrorizes anything(Hermits, starfish, corals, you name it) but only upon introduction. He does this for a few days and after that he leaves them alone. I have not witnessed an actual ceremony yet but im sure they do take place.

Well I guess a little hazing isn't too much to deal with if you wanna live in the frat party house. :D

I find that if you heavily spot feed an anenome right after you put it in the tank, of course give it a chance to wedge it's foot in and expand, it has a tendency to settle right in. Put it in the area you want it to be in and if the rock has a crevice, all the better. I have RBTA's in a 75 gallon tank and using that method, they have all stayed where I put them. Feeding them regularly makes them feel like they found the perfect home...rich in food and light requirements. Feed small pieces like they would catch in the ocean: mysis, brine, krill, plankton, finely diced squid or clam, mix it with some tank water and use a baster GENTLY squirt into the tentacles. I have had a RBTA that was about 3 inch expanded tgrow to over 11 inches expanded in about 16 months and then it began to divide itself...ended up with 9 anenomes after that. I have 2 of the smallest ones in my 24 gallon nano with a pair of percs and they have hosted in one.

An anenome tentacle is pretty thin...the clam wouldn't know it was there until it got stung and then it's too late.

Well I guess a little hazing isn't too much to deal with if you wanna live in the frat party house. :D
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived