Top Shelf Aquatics

Baby Maxima moved?

AMSR

Hey all,

I got a baby maxima the other day for my nano. Its about 1.5 inches long. Anyhow, I put it on a rock and by the morning it was on the other side of the rock. Not tipped over or anything, just looks like it moved. Can clams move on their own? Also, I have a sunpod 70w over this nano, I have the clam mid-tank... Whats the best location for a clam given that light? Its a BC14...

thanks

Yes clams can move on their own. They have an inhalant and exhalant siphon that they can rapidly move water through (occasionally moving themselves too). They also have a foot they can "put out" from under their shell (byssal opening)

Be careful not to move the clam if you feel some resistance! You can / will kill the clam if you injure its foot. Now that I said that, don't be overly sensitive if the clam doesn't put its foot out. Some do, some dont :(

FWIW

The clam would be fine anywhere in your tank, but maxi's like rock (they are "rock-boring" clams). Anywhere on some rock-work in a lower flow area. Id go for somewhere in the middle where everybody can see your baby :)

BTW, it is argued that they don't need it, but I would get some DT's (or similar) phytoplankton and dose your tank (around the clam - not target feed) with a turkey baster (with the pumps off)

Archived