Coral Vue Hydros

Clams if you had to pick more Flow or More Light.

easterly81

easterly81

This is my first clam just looking for some advice. I have a 24g Nano-cube with a light upgrade to 108w. Is this enough light?

Also this is were the LFS said i should place the clam. There is a lot of flow there so it should be a good spot for the clam to feed but I thought the clam should be closer to the light.

clam.jpg

This is my first clam just looking for some advice. I have a 24g Nano-cube with a light upgrade to 108w. Is this enough light?

Also this is were the LFS said i should place the clam. There is a lot of flow there so it should be a good spot for the clam to feed but I thought the clam should be closer to the light.

clam.jpg

Crocea Clams are the most light demanding clams and should be placed preferably under metal halides. They prefer to be on a hard surface and will attach to the rock quickly. I rec. you move it up higher but I'm no expert on clams, just from experience and reading.

- Chris

Can i tell if it needs more light/ Does it give me any signs?

By your picture I could not tell how healthy looking it was but if it starts to fade in color is a good sign there is a problem. Just remember that clams take a long time to die and just because it seems fine now does not mean it's healthy. The key factors for this clam to be healthy, if I can remember are high lighting (you are on the min. of that, so get it closer to the surface), low/no nitrates, high calcium levels and excellent water paramaters.

If I was to rec. a clam it would be a Derasa, least light demanding (VHO/PC is fine), substrate placement and most tolerable to varying water paramaters.

Hope this helps,

- Chris

easterly81

I tried to get the clam to stick to the rock on the top middle but it keeps falling off. I even built up rocks around it it nocked the rocks over and feel to the front of the tank. Any advice how long does it take for a clam to take hold?

I tried to get the clam to stick to the rock on the top middle but it keeps falling off. I even built up rocks around it it nocked the rocks over and feel to the front of the tank. Any advice how long does it take for a clam to take hold?

Try and use PVC or a plastic container (with holes for water flow) of the correct diameter to hold it in position in a low flow area until it attaches. This will help prevent the current, crabs, snails, etc from nocking it over. The byssal gland should attach to the rock fairly quickly. I have read that some reefers had theirs take up to 2-3 weeks. IMO if it doesn't attach in the next week I would return it as you may have an unhealthy clam.

Here is a good thread to read Crocea Clam

- Chris

Archived