SaltCritters.com

Derasa Clam Help

firstimereefer

firstimereefer

So I get home from work yesterday to find some1 had knocked over my derasa. I go to pick it up again and found that it attached itself to the rock partially sideways. I don't want to pull it off, but is there anything I can do or should I just leave it as is. It is fully open and I didn't notice any gaping.

You can cut the foot as close to the rock as possible. As long as it isn't a tear he should be fine :)

It is just the byssal threads anywho

firstimereefer

I heard small clams and derasa's especially have trouble healing from that sort of action.

That's the advice I've always heard.

They can drop their byssal threads on their own as well.

FYI, they dont really need to use their foot, but I am not sure how detrimental it would be to that small of a clam. :(

So you cant pull the rock off and dremel it?

firstimereefer
That's the advice I've always heard.

They can drop their byssal threads on their own as well.

FYI, they dont really need to use their foot, but I am not sure how detrimental it would be to that small of a clam. :(

So you cant pull the rock off and dremel it?

No the back of that rock is supporting the big rock in middle, and the zoanthids and so close to the clam I would be afraid of hurting the colony and its a HUGE colony.

Zoos can live for about 20-30 mins out of water usually?

I'd say the clam will probably let go and right himself in a few days (if he hasn't already) to get more light :P

firstimereefer
Zoos can live for about 20-30 mins out of water usually?

I'd say the clam will probably let go and right himself in a few days (if he hasn't already) to get more light :P

You called it I came home this morning and I found that he had moved off the rock and back into the sand.

Hehe, I was kinda :huh:-_- at work the other day....I figured he'd be fine :)

I'll have to get pics of my babies.

I've got a teardrop maxima and a gigas :)

firstimereefer

As soon as I get my 60 cube up and running I am putting a tear drop maxima in there its a 24x24x24 cube. I will be running 150 HQI with 72 Watts of flourescent and I cant wait. You will have to pm me some picks of your tear drop, Think they are the nicest looking of all the clams.

I'm jealous...My g/fs birthday present - a 20"x20"x16"high acrylic cube.

^It'll be here tomorrow!!!!

But I'm still stuck w/ a 14g BioCube with no external parts :(

At least I found nanotuners :) and got that 72W upgrade

Archived