inTank Media Baskets

Whats up with my clam?

Seanfg89

I've had this clam for a good month or so now and it was doing great in my 2.5g with 42w CF lighting. I recently upgraded to a 10g with 150w MH and thought it would do even better now now its actually getting worse. When I transferred everything into the new tank I made sure to get the new water as close to the old water as possible to minimize stress. My corals are all doing fine, they are still adjusting to the new light but no one has expelled their zooanthellae and now one has bleached and the only other difference between the old tank the clam was in and the new one is the type of sand and increased overall flow. I did put a screen inbetween the light and water to acclimate everything and pulled it out slowly over this past week so everything is now in the full light.

My water is as follows:

pH:8.1

Alk:3.5 meq/l

Ammonia,Nitrite:0

Nitrate:<10

Calcium:375

Salinity:1.023 (I'm slowly raising it to 1.024 over the next week)

Temp:80 degrees F

P4280002.jpg

P4280003.jpg

P4280004.jpg

This isn't the dreaded Pinched Mantle is it?

Edit: I've also inspected the clam for any predators like those p-something snails and any other obvious signs of injury or disease but there isn't anything I can see.

Well the clam died this afternoon and upon closer inspection it appears as though some sort of worm had been preying on it or had been parasitizing it. After I took it out of the tank shortly after it died I put it in a container of freshwater to see if anything would come out and a small translucent flat worm type thing came out of the clam's body. Oh well.....:( I guess I'll go buy another one once I make sure there aren't any more of these worm things.

Archived