Pod Your Reef

Cleaner shrimp bothering clam

ladi8t3r

Anyone else have this issue? As soon as the MHs go out I find my Cleaner shrimp on top of them. Is this normal or do you think my clams are having issues?

Clams are doing great during the day. They open fully and from what I can tell have no other issues. Although i found what appears to be a very small 3 legged green starfish come out from under my teardrop maxima's mantle. I removed it to investigate it and put it back in the aquarium. Found the starfish again later under the teardrop maxima. Should i be concerned?

TIA

Anyone else have this issue? As soon as the MHs go out I find my Cleaner shrimp on top of them. Is this normal or do you think my clams are having issues?

Clams are doing great during the day. They open fully and from what I can tell have no other issues. Although i found what appears to be a very small 3 legged green starfish come out from under my teardrop maxima's mantle. I removed it to investigate it and put it back in the aquarium. Found the starfish again later under the teardrop maxima. Should i be concerned?

TIA

depends on how big the clam is. if it is over 5 inches then i wouldn't be worried as the clam can hold its own. if its a smaller one, its time for ebi tempura and starfish sushi

One of my hermits was atop my croecea last night. :( I hope it was only picking at some super minor GHA that was on the side of the shell though.

cleaners can prey on clams, very unusual for that to happen but it can.

i'd feed the shrimp more, target feed. and teach it not to hang around the clam. using force if necessary. :angry:

the clam sure as heck doesn't need the added aggravation of the shrimp nosing around even if it was harmless.

as for the starfish, i'd banish it to be on the safe side but you can give it a lease on life a bit longer to see if it's harmless. but i treat my clams like my corals. anything even thinks of nibbling on them gets the "boot".

ezcompany
but i treat my clams like my corals. anything even thinks of nibbling on them gets the "boot".

oh my mind is so dirty

I don't mean to thread jack on this, but since it's related (just a hermit instead of a cleaner shrimp)... I managed to get a pic of the aformentioned hermit atop my "4+ croecea... It doesn't seem to be picking at the mantle itself, but rather at the shell pretty close to the edge of it. The clam was fully open today though when I came home from work. Also out of curiosity, how big or small are pyramid snails?

hermit_clam.jpg

Well there are no signs of the starfish and my cleaner has stopped bothering my teardrop. Every time he hopped on top I would knock him back by tapping on the glass or blasting him with the turkey baster. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Hey EZ where did you pick up those black maximas?

Also out of curiosity, how big or small are pyramid snails?
depends on how old they are but they can be as small as this "d" or as large as a 1/4", i believe. (probably larger but i haven't seen them that big)

those tiny white specks (probably featherdusters) could be about the size of them. just keep an eye on things like that moving around the lip/mantle.

SCUBA BUZZ
but i treat my clams like my corals. anything even thinks of nibbling on them gets the "boot"

I love to Nibble Clams... :naughtydance:

Archived