Cultivated Reef

Utopia in a Mason Jar

fraggle rockette

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw I thought this thread was about a new morph of Gravity in a Jar :(

Still, good looking setup, and GREAT idea with those soap dishes!

Uhm....about your window back there...Does the sun hit it directly? It should be ok because you have a chiller but... How deep is the stand and the chiller? You don't want that sucker(chiller) right up against your wall, it will need a bit of room to breath.

fraggle rockette
Aw I thought this thread was about a new morph of Gravity in a Jar :(

Still, good looking setup, and GREAT idea with those soap dishes!

haha i wish it was! i loved that thread. :D

Uhm....about your window back there...Does the sun hit it directly? It should be ok because you have a chiller but... How deep is the stand and the chiller? You don't want that sucker(chiller) right up against your wall, it will need a bit of room to breath.

dont worry ;)

the sun never hits it- goes straight past in the morning at 8am and all clear after that (i know b/c i've watched it year round looking for more places for plants- lol.) the chiller is easily less than half as deep as the stand, and i left about 3" of space between the stand and the wall for it to "breathe", as well as took the entire back off of the cabinet. the window comes halfway down the stand, so there's even more breathing room... at least 6"... i plan on watching it tho- dont want to burn the house down- (i almost did last night leaving the toaster oven on somehow... :mellow: i woke up this morning and thought i was pretty lucky. sheesh. i need to sleep more.)

I'm not sure which chiller you got, but I know with my JBJ Nano 1/20th, it says it needs at least a foot of room all around.

Great idea with the soap dishes though, I should do something like that with my stand. B)

Man, Cochella... One day I'll make it out to that.

fraggle rockette
I'm not sure which chiller you got, but I know with my JBJ Nano 1/20th, it says it needs at least a foot of room all around.

Great idea with the soap dishes though, I should do something like that with my stand. B)

Man, Cochella... One day I'll make it out to that.

DUDE! JUST GO!

haha it's gotten expensive over the last few years, but it's so worth it if you really love music+camping+crazy hippies+being dirty with 50,000 other dirty (as in real dirt) people like i do. i just have to suck it up and not do vacations- lol.

yeah we'll see about the chiller... i have the current prime 1/15. i can always remove the cabinet door when it's really hot, but inside the cabinet, there's easily almost a foot around... okay less but close. :D

Yup, I'm into all of that. :D

As long as the air vent in the back has close to a foot of clearance behind it, then you'll be ok. B)

Aye, I was gonna have the g/f turn on a fan I put over my tank last night, on today so my chiller doesn't keep cycling on as often, but I think she's upset at me right now... There goes the eletric bill! :rolleyes:

fraggle rockette
Yup, I'm into all of that. :D

As long as the air vent in the back has close to a foot of clearance behind it, then you'll be ok. B)

Aye, I was gonna have the g/f turn on a fan I put over my tank last night, on today so my chiller doesn't keep cycling on as often, but I think she's upset at me right now... There goes the eletric bill! :rolleyes:

ive heard that about the jbjs not running as efficiently... they cost less initially, but more in the long run. ehh. yeah there should be about 1' in the back- should i not worry too much about the front? mine hasnt clicked on practically since i got it- we had like 3 hot days and that was it! but our apt is on a hill and we never get more than 90-98 inside so hopefully it wont be too bad electric- francie said it was like 15 more since i got the tanks running... haha a small price for her to split i say, since she gets a fishtank she doesnt have to take care of ;)

Ideally you would want 2 feet, but i think you'll be ok, especially b/c you have that gap where your window is and heat rises. You need enough space in the front to allow it to get air so if it has a few inches in the front. Is your floor base hollow, if it is and the back of the floorbase is open, you could pop a hole on the bottom where you jbj frong would be facing. Also, maybe you can have your jbj in the back sideways...in other words since you have 3 inch clearance between the wall and your stand have the front facing one of those gaps and the back facing the other gap. (Is this confusing???)

avalanche1201

man, everytime i see this thread on the front page: "utopia in a mason jar"

i keep thinken ur maken some crack....but none the less, tank is looken good, keep it up

Ideally you would want 2 feet, but i think you'll be ok, especially b/c you have that gap where your window is and heat rises. You need enough space in the front to allow it to get air so if it has a few inches in the front. Is your floor base hollow, if it is and the back of the floorbase is open, you could pop a hole on the bottom where you jbj frong would be facing. Also, maybe you can have your jbj in the back sideways...in other words since you have 3 inch clearance between the wall and your stand have the front facing one of those gaps and the back facing the other gap. (Is this confusing???)

Yes, I'm confused... :wacko: haha, j/k

Yeah, turning it 90 degrees to the side might work more efficiently to intake and output the air. I test my chiller temp wise and it's blowing out 108F degree air when it's running!?! :o So just bear that in mind. I believe the output air though is corespondant to the amount it has to chill the water by... But I could be totally mistaken on that. I was gonna put my chiller inside of my cabinet too, but I was concerned about the airflow in there even though the back is completely open to the stand. Plus it's easier to monitor when it's on and when it's not be having it next to the tank. :) But hidden away would definitely be nice!! But anywho, my chiller isn't inefficient, it's just my water temp rises rather quickly after it's been chilled down, unfortunately so the chiller kicks on more often, especially yesterday when we hit 80+... =/ I put an 80mmx80mm clip-on fan blowing down directly over the pump chamber of my tank and it cooled down the water pretty fast, and to almost 78F before I shut it off, my chiller's temp alarm LED turned on at that point. :lol: I think I'll put the fan on my daytime cycle though to automate it and keep it cool in the day when the lights are on.

fraggle rockette
Yes, I'm confused... :wacko: haha, j/k

Yeah, turning it 90 degrees to the side might work more efficiently to intake and output the air. I test my chiller temp wise and it's blowing out 108F degree air when it's running!?! :o So just bear that in mind. I believe the output air though is corespondant to the amount it has to chill the water by... But I could be totally mistaken on that. I was gonna put my chiller inside of my cabinet too, but I was concerned about the airflow in there even though the back is completely open to the stand. Plus it's easier to monitor when it's on and when it's not be having it next to the tank. :) But hidden away would definitely be nice!! But anywho, my chiller isn't inefficient, it's just my water temp rises rather quickly after it's been chilled down, unfortunately so the chiller kicks on more often, especially yesterday when we hit 80+... =/ I put an 80mmx80mm clip-on fan blowing down directly over the pump chamber of my tank and it cooled down the water pretty fast, and to almost 78F before I shut it off, my chiller's temp alarm LED turned on at that point. :lol: I think I'll put the fan on my daytime cycle though to automate it and keep it cool in the day when the lights are on.

sheesh! no mh for you!!! :P

sheesh! no mh for you!!! :P

It's ok, I'm only in that seemingly self heated apartment for another 2 weeks, lol! After that I might perhaps need more heaters, but I'll know for sure soon enough...

fraggle rockette
It's ok, I'm only in that seemingly self heated apartment for another 2 weeks, lol! After that I might perhaps need more heaters, but I'll know for sure soon enough...

wait, you're moving? :mellow: to where?

wait, you're moving? :mellow: to where?

Just to the other side of San Gabriel 2 miles away, lol! Much bigger apartment though, 1100 sq./ft rather than the 760sq./ft of my current apartment. And it has 2 bedrooms and bath rooms rather than just one. I'm definitely NOT looking forward to tearing down my tank for that. =/

fraggle rockette
Just to the other side of San Gabriel 2 miles away, lol! Much bigger apartment though, 1100 sq./ft rather than the 760sq./ft of my current apartment. And it has 2 bedrooms and bath rooms rather than just one. I'm definitely NOT looking forward to tearing down my tank for that. =/

wait other side like further east or closer to me? dude... further east is a drive- i hate driving from my part of east LA- lol. but the area sure is good and cheap ;)

fraggle rockette

awww mannnn...!

so one of my friends im going to coachella with is still working on homework so we're not leaving until the a.m. i would be bummed, but this means i have all night to work on my aquascaping in the new tank :D the hardest thing will be adding the extra sand in that the roommate wants now that it's full of water... lol. but that'll wait a few days i think b/c i dont want to sandstorm the clowns. tonite i'm just setting rocks up and i'm not gonna lie- it's looking pretty cool. i'll post pics if i get a chance before i leave tomorrow... omg im completely obsessed with this new tank... i'm not sure if this is a good hobby for me... :rolleyes:

Any hobby that gives you a good feeling is a good hobby.

I used to race r/c cars for my hobby, and stopped becasue a certain track said that I could no longer race becasue no one could beat me.

And trust me r/c cars and other hobbies out there are more expensive than this one!

fraggle rockette
Any hobby that gives you a good feeling is a good hobby.

I used to race r/c cars for my hobby, and stopped becasue a certain track said that I could no longer race becasue no one could beat me.

And trust me r/c cars and other hobbies out there are more expensive than this one!

haha i love to go go cart racing but that gets $$$ fast too! ehh...

fraggle rockette
Oh yeah, and have you thought about upgrading to a 150 watt sunpod?

have definately thought about it... but no $ right now for it. prolly about 6 months away, if not less- gotta do some saving...

Pinner Reef

LOL it's no wonder your so popular here Lets see:

A cute chick who owns power tools and likes/knows how to use them, likes gettin dirty, likes to party, can hand out an ass whoopin during a flame war, and maintains an awsome set-up.

Good work chica

-pinner

wait other side like further east or closer to me? dude... further east is a drive- i hate driving from my part of east LA- lol. but the area sure is good and cheap ;)

About a mile and a half west, so closer to you. ;)

And I LOVE go karting. Haven't been to Speedzone in ages, but I really want to try out Pole Position in Corona or Dromo 1... Real car racing at the track hands down is no comparison though, but WAY more expensive!! =X

Archived