Coral Vue Hydros

Utopia in a Mason Jar

fraggle rockette

Well knowing shes a little too old for me, I'm not saying it in that sense ;) I am jealous of the beautiful tanks she sets up... and the money she can put into them!!!

Boy, someone needs to teach you about the fine qualities of an older woman. That said, Fraggle's probably too young for me....but I'd be willing to risk it. :D

aw gator! i'm sure there are plenty of nice gals in alaska wink.gif haha.

Ouch. What'd I do to you? (besides distract you from finishing your cabinet)?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fraggle rockette
Well knowing shes a little too old for me, I'm not saying it in that sense ;) I am jealous of the beautiful tanks she sets up... and the money she can put into them!!!

how old are you? i actually dont put that much $$$ into them... more than i can afford tho, of course- lol. i beg borrow and make everything almost... the most $$$ thing ive bought was the chiller, which set me back about $400- but who needs to pay for parking at school anyway? lol. this tank so far:

AP24g- $100 (no hood)

plumbing parts- $30-40

cabinet stand- $20

i already have the lights for it and the stain for the stand, and didnt have to buy special tools to drill bulkheads b/c my lfs owner let me use his attachments :happy: i wish i had more $ to put into them, but am happy with what i can do.

i hope your not sanding that by hand... how are you going to finish it? stain and seal, or paint?

i was going to use the random orbital, but after realizing that it was veneer when i got it home, decided to hand sand. it didnt take too long- a lot of the varnish had worn off- and i used an all-in-one stain and seal that i LOVE. i've used it on a tv stand and planter boxes as well, and it rocks my socks. i painted the gold trim black with some epoxy i had lying around so it wasnt as cheezy.

Boy, someone needs to teach you about the fine qualities of an older woman. That said, Fraggle's probably too young for me....but I'd be willing to risk it. :D

Ouch. What'd I do to you? (besides distract you from finishing your cabinet)?

haha i was just teasing u b/c of what you said earlier.

more pictures of the cabinet to come! i've removed the back panel for better venting and will see whether 1/2 a door gets cut off/slatted or not once the chiller is in place. i'm also looking at building shelving but may just get one of those wire hang-on-the-door ones that you put under your sink for now. i also braced the center of the stand with 2x6s and L-braces after realizing it was made out of MDF. whew! that was a close one. at least if it sags it'll be sitting on some tough boards. okay, off to the LFS for water! B)

fraggle rockette.... just when I think you couldn't get any better..... you brace and L-bracket, and know MDF........ you're gonna be the Female Bob Villa of NR!!!!

If you ever wanna learn how to weld....... I have a MIG. :D

fraggle rockette.... just when I think you couldn't get any better..... you brace and L-bracket, and know MDF........ you're gonna be the Female Bob Villa of NR!!!!

MIGs rule, I want to get one of those portable 115v ones. I got a good lesson in welding when I had a friend's dad weld my subframe that ripped on my car. =X

Lots of pics of the stand when it's finished, Veronica! What color are you planning to paint it? If you said already, please forgive me. :bowdown:

modularduck

YAY for you FR i look forward to seeing it all set up and what you will do with it GRATZ...

fraggle rockette

actually... i know how to weld. B)

i learned when i was 15 from a guy who used to weld underwater as a navy seal in 'Nam... no joke. not a huge fan of MIG, like TIG and wirefeed better, mostly wirefeed, but only do soldiering over here- no room for the setup, and prolly against rental contract anyway to have those sorts of tools- lol.

but i can always use a catch up lesson or two :D

.......I love you........ somebody marry this woman!!!!!! tell your BF hes a tard!!!!

actually... i know how to weld. B)

i learned when i was 15 from a guy who used to weld underwater as a navy seal in 'Nam... no joke. not a huge fan of MIG, like TIG and wirefeed better, mostly wirefeed, but only do soldiering over here- no room for the setup, and prolly against rental contract anyway to have those sorts of tools- lol.

but i can always use a catch up lesson or two :D

fraggle rockette
.......I love you........ somebody marry this woman!!!!!! tell your BF hes a tard!!!!

aww... yeah he knows he is too... but sometimes a girl just gets hung up, ya know? :(

aww... yeah he knows he is too... but sometimes a girl just gets hung up, ya know? :(

No good. :( Been in that boat plenty, ugh!

One of my friend's, his best friend works for CAT and does welding of gastanks sometimes ON the equipment WITH gas in it, lol! I guess that's what has to be done out in the field... I'd be skerd!! lol :scarry:

they should be fired instantly. all tanks must be drained of fuel, purged with argon, then welded. I know of no exceptions. (but whats that have to do with reefing?) much less fraggle's new tank.....sorry

No good. :( Been in that boat plenty, ugh!

One of my friend's, his best friend works for CAT and does welding of gastanks sometimes ON the equipment WITH gas in it, lol! I guess that's what has to be done out in the field... I'd be skerd!! lol :scarry:

fraggle rockette
they should be fired instantly. all tanks must be drained of fuel, purged with argon, then welded. I know of no exceptions. (but whats that have to do with reefing?) much less fraggle's new tank.....sorry

its cool kids, i wont yell for thread steals... only cause im so happy about my new $20 seafan :o

:D

fraggle rockette
I love seafan! :tears: lol

haha this one is yellow orange... dont worry ill get u a frag of each at some point :)

fraggle rockette

JESUS!

i never realized how big this tank is! lol. went to the LFS tonite and wanted a really cool piece of LR, but $30??? eh... i got enough in my tanks to play with :D

when the dust settles, i'll post pics. no shelving inside cabinet yet- actually, i dont think there will be room for any between the ATO and chiller! we'll see- i've hung some deep soapdishes on the inside of one of the doors for chemicals etc. and may do it on the other door as well... pics to come.

fraggle rockette

okay... back on topic now:

the finished cabinet

IMG_6151.jpg

tank but dust not settled yet

IMG_6146.jpg

stand open (chiller will go on the right and ATO on the left)

IMG_6145.jpg

added some deep soapdishes inside the door as shelves (may do on other side too) IMG_6148.jpg

close up of inside of stand (mounted power strip and braced center with 2x6s)

IMG_6152.jpg

i know, it's not a huge project, but it's cool i turned something that was $20 (and some change for soapdishes) into this. when my chiller's in place, i'll prolly add another high shelf or two- haven't decided yet really, and suggestions are always welcome.

well that's about it for this week kids... i'm gonna be at coachella until monday morning so nothing gets added to the tank until that evening (and no posts until then either- sigh... unless i find a laptop in the desert ;) haha). im so excited to get it all done finally! it wont be complete until my other bulkhead comes in from marine depot in a week or so, but then it's gonna really rock. :happydance:

hopefully the roommate will be okay handling it all this weekend. fingerscrossed

fraggle rockette
looks like a nice clean set up.

have fun at cochella, you're gonna be there all weekend? crazy...

wouldnt miss it for the world!!!

(yep- i'll be there all weekend with two of my friends... camping, not showering, and frying our skin and potentially our brains and eardrums with 50,000 other crazy people... lol. :P)

er1c_the_reefer
wouldnt miss it for the world!!!

(yep- i'll be there all weekend with two of my friends... camping, not showering, and frying our skin and potentially our brains and eardrums with 50,000 other crazy people... lol. :P)

awww man, i'm confused now. as an outdoors type of guy i wanna say that's hot, but as a conservative i wanna shake my fist and yell "damn hippies!"

fraggle rockette
awww man, i'm confused now. as an outdoors type of guy i wanna say that's hot, but as a conservative i wanna shake my fist and yell "damn hippies!"

just do both! B)

i'll do the first until i'm an adult and have kids... then the second until i die... lol. :P

pictures aren't working.... (at least not for me)

just do both! B)

i'll do the first until i'm an adult and have kids... then the second until i die... lol. :P

fraggle rockette
pictures aren't working.... (at least not for me)

grrr that's the last time i use something other than photobucket! :angry:

working now :)

Archived