Top Shelf Aquatics

24 gallon Atlantis

megan

After your comment on my pic, i came to your thread and read through it and ive learned lots. I really like your tank, i like this aquascape the best out of all yours before.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! You can't pay a higher compliment. You know, we all take it so seriously and LOVE our tanks. I have since changed it however. I got a clip on HQI. Its a Viper and so far I like it. I'm just acclimating the inhabitants right now. I've redone my scape too and now I am really happy. Seriously. I think it makes the best of what I have in there already, and leaves lots of room for new stuff. I'll post some pics soon.

Thanks again!

XX

:D

I have just spent all of last night reading through this thread. It is a great thread. And Tiny is awesome!!! You always give great advice. Im not new to this but there is still a lot of good info here.

Megan your tank looks great.

montananano - I have a freshwater planted tank and have always wanted to do a seagrass SW tank. I love your tank. That stuff can be a pain to get rid of when it spreads, unless that is the look you are going for. Personally I think it would be cool.

Ok.... All of last night is an exaggeration. But still... good thread.

Thanks so much. I have seen many of my same questions out there a few times, so I figure it is just pretty common, ole fashioned noobe stuff. The deeper I get, the more confident I get, but there is always something to be learned. And Tiny is the Big Man! He is my go to guy, that's fo sho! I"ll post some updated pics as things are going really well! :D

Here's some updated photos. They aren't very good... I swear my tank looks so much better in person, but both my camera and my skills stink!!! You can see how I set up the Viper and I"m using screening to act as a buffer. I am pulling a layer off every 4 days or so.

No too exciting, but here goes...

post-26996-1202789799_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1202789819_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1202789836_thumb.jpg

I got some new stuff today!!!

I got a white "sand anemone" is what the guy was calling it, but I think it is a BTA. Its very pretty and big. I also got a piece of gsp as my old one died with a phosphate spike I had and then I got a bright pink millipora frag. I don't know anything about them, but I know my it should like my new HQI. I did see that a piece of monti had fallen down and is almost totally skeleton. I'm bummed b/c I wanted to see how it would do in the new lighting. I was expecting good things! But they are easy to come by. I haven't pulled it out of the tank yet, but don't think it will be able to recover. I'm doing some research now on the mili and the anemone, but the guy at the store said both were pretty easy.

Any tips??

• 3 weeks later...

So I took some new pics today. I think I've added a few mushrooms, the anemone, and a finger leather in the last couple of weeks. Things seem to be going well, phosphates are down and I did a water change today with ocean water from the beach and I'm hoping I will see a difference in some of my corals that have been a little sad lately. As soon as I put the water in, the fish and shrimp started going nuts, kinda like when I add a little coral food. It's like they could tell there was something different and maybe they smelled food. I hope that this water has some great micro treats for them.

Let me know what you think of the photos...

post-26996-1204510290_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204510317_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204510344_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204510425_thumb.jpg

And a couple more. There is a top down and then a couple of close ups. The rock with the reddish/brown mushrooms used to be covered, but 1 by 1 they open their mouths wide and then shrivel and either come off the rock or melt away. It started when I upgraded the lighting, they used to be higher up, so I've moved them down to see if it is going to help. They are not my favorites, but I guess I don't want to lose them all together.

post-26996-1204510829_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204510844_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1204510855_thumb.jpg

WELL, I was bumping for a little feedback. Don't we all put huge amounts of effort into these tanks and appreciate feedback, both good and bad. There has to be something to reinforce the photo upload.

Hey megan. I don't see the problem with your corals, because they look fine! The only thing that worries me is your fish selection, how many and what types do you have?

My pink palys aren't opening and none of my corals are spreading or growing.

My first fish was a starry blenny and then I got a YWG. I waited a little while and got the Solarensis Wrasse and then on my birthday in November, a lfs gave me the Anthias. I have had periods of higher phosphates, but they seem to be under control now. My sand bed is usually spotless as I have a killer clean up crew and I do weekly 20% water changes. So far so good.

Well, I'm not sure what to say about the corals not growing.... I would be testing the water to find out if anything is off (like ph, alk, cal, etc.).... but I'm pretty sure the anthias needs to be in a large tank, like over 75gal. depending on what kind it is and the fairy wrasse also needs a tank over 40gal. Sorry to burst your bubble! :(

My alk and calc are right where they need to be. The only one I don't know is the ph. I'll get a new ph test kit.

You are right that the minimum gal. suggested for an anthias is a 30 gal, but mine was tank raised and adapted immediately upon introducing him. He is an awesome fish. They all recognize me, but he is super silly. The wrasse is just pretty. Not a lot of personality there. Very chill. His minimum requirements are a 20 gal. I will never say that I've got it all down, because I know VERY LITTLE when you look at what all this hobby encompasses. But as for now, all of the fish seem very happy. I'd like to hear what other folks think too as I don't want to be one of the ninnies who keep tangs in a 10 gal. But I don't think that's where I am.

I don't have any experience in anthias and wrasse departments, so I'll let it go.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll keep researching. As for now, everyone seems fine.

I did run my params last night and spoke with a new AMAZING lfs called World Wide Corals and it would seem that my phosphates are still too high and that is what is preventing my corals from growing.

So I did a water change and added a phos. remover and I'll test again in a couple of days. I am SERIOUS about getting my water quality better! I am actually really excited that someone has told me exactly what the prob. is. I am hoping that by next week there will be a big change and my corals be happier. :D

Yeah, I have egg crate on the top. I'm thrilled you didn't notice. I don't like the aesthetic, but it is quite necessary.

I found the MOST AMAZING shop last week. I got some new stuff from there today. It is here in Orlando, kinda far from my house, but worth the drive. Its called World Wide Coral. Its all coral and the most amazing selection. Just rows and rows of corals all arranged by color.

I'll try to post some pics in the next few days but I got an orangy-yellow ric last week and some pink zoas with white skirts, some atomic dragon eyes and some bright orange zoas. The price was decent too. All three for $28.

I've also been looking very actively for a giant tank! I don't know if I'm ready yet, but I like looking. :D

Yeah, I have egg crate on the top. I'm thrilled you didn't notice. I don't like the aesthetic, but it is quite necessary.

I found the MOST AMAZING shop last week. I got some new stuff from there today. It is here in Orlando, kinda far from my house, but worth the drive. Its called World Wide Coral. Its all coral and the most amazing selection. Just rows and rows of corals all arranged by color.

I'll try to post some pics in the next few days but I got an orangy-yellow ric last week and some pink zoas with white skirts, some atomic dragon eyes and some bright orange zoas. The price was decent too. All three for $28.

I've also been looking very actively for a giant tank! I don't know if I'm ready yet, but I like looking. :D

I'm sorry I was just looking at your latest photos and just assumed you went open top my bad -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I"m so excited! So after one year, I am still just as excited as I was on day one. Unfortunately, we are broke right now (we are both real estate appraisers, sucky market here in Fl.) or else I would love to celebrate with a new addition to the tank. Maybe I'll at least visit my favorite lfs and just window shop!

Thanks everyone for all of your help along the way. I have learned so much and found that my fellow reefers are some really cool people. I can't believe how quickly this hobby has grown since lighting became more easily attainable and since the creation of AIOs.

So everyone, please tell me....

What is your attraction to this hobby? Is it the chemistry, the livestock, the collection of rare specimens? :D

Archived