ReefCleaners.org

24 gallon Atlantis

megan

Sorry to Threadjack, but the black perc was hosting until I had to QT him for Ich. Hopefully he will kick it and I can add him back and the orange one will follow suit.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And while we are on the subject, QT hell:

S8000601.jpg

S8000600.jpg

Sorry for the dirty glass, but it is exam time in Law School Land and time is short.

Also, word to the wise: never never never never never try Copper treatment for Ich in a tank with substrate or rock. Can't ever peg the proper level.

And Tiny, you didnt link to your tanks.
c'mon guys, i said my Gallery. you want me to link it? talk about lazy butts. :P

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showgalle...amp;ppuser=1446

most of the gallery is for my sunlit pico though but some of the older and newer ones are the display tanks (previous and current). there's some more of the old display on my geocities site (www.geocities.com/tinyreef), there's some pics of my old gravity-return refugium, i.e. adey style refugium.

but agreed on the anti-cyano products. you're just treating the symptoms (as well as creating ancillary issues from the antibiotics imo) and not treating the actual issues creating the cyano.

plyr,

you're not treating that tank with copper are you? it's next to impossible to effectively remove that copper afterwards from what i've read. like you said, better to use a plain empty tank (no rock or substrate).

Hey Playa, nice tank! I can't believe you've done all that in 22 days! It is beautiful. I just spent all afternoon cleaning my rock of cyano and rescaping. I still hate it! Here is a pic...

P1080032.jpg

I don't want to use chemicals. I'm just going to keep it as clean as possible!

my gallery (here) shows some of the tanks.

Thanks for the advise Tiny. I think you are right, I don't just want to fix the cyano, I want to solve the problem. I just haven't figured out what that is.

I was not lazy and checked out your gallery. As much as I could anyway. Your tanks are awesome! I like the orchids too. I have a bunch, but not as a hoby. I just buy them for in the house (at Lowe's or the local farmers' market) and when they are done blooming, I put them in the base of a spiky palm tree I have out back. It's beautiful when they bloom.

AND, you guys can jack my thread anytime (get your minds out of the tidepool!). I'm glad to host you in tank discussion. The more ya'll talk, the more I learn. Can I get you a drink? Hors de ourves?

<------ LAZY

Most of the rock in the tank was precured from Premium Aquatics, and took about 4 days to cycle in the tank. Then I added the orange false perc from a pico I had setup as well as the Torch and one head of a Hammer that was doing quite well in there. As you can see, that Torch was just way to big for a 5.5 gal. I bought the orange polyps locally for 15 bucks and the rest of the frags came from a local club swap recently. All in all, I have about $100 in coral, 80 bucks in fish (including Malcom X in QT), and 60 bucks in LR.

Tiny: I had treated with copper in another QT with LR and it didn't go so well. I am trying Rid-Ich which has cleared ich before, so we will see how it goes.

Sh!t!!! I was looking over at my tank this evening, as I always do, and noticed that it seemed really cloudy. I had rescaped last night and stressed everyone out over that. And then today I did a good water change, cleaned the glass and the substrate and afterward it was looking really good!

Adam walked over to it and said that the pump was not on! I don't know how long it was off. It couldn't have been more than 2 hours. Everything had closed up and there were some snotty threads floating around. Only about 2.

It turns out that the pump had fallen off of the nozels. We reattached it and it seems to be clearing up.

How long do you think the pump can be off without catastrophe?

EEEEEEEEKKKKK!!!! :scarry:

alexmurovec

its that piece of rock in the left corner, and gorgonian that makes it look funny, but thats just my thinking. i have always liked the more traditional rock pile in the middle of the tank :lol:

firstimereefer

Megan,

You need a sun coral now, you have the perfect spot where that shady part is in the middle of the tank. Suncorals don't like light at all, but if you place it in the sand where it is dark it should even come out during the day, just remember to feed every couple of days.

I just noticed this now, you have a lot of sand in there. I don' think its a bad thing except for losing water volume.

alexmurovec

rockscape looks good now, accept whats with the little branch touching the left wall? dont get me wrong, i'm not trying to prove anything, its your tank and you can do what you feel is right. keep truckin'

Just remember, if you get a Sun Coral, every head has to be fed individually when you feed them, or they will die.

firstimereefer

For sun corals, I mix some cyclops and mysis and squirt a little into each polyp twice a week and the growth is out of control on mine, I don't know about other peoples sun polyps, but I have found this to be very successful.

Hello Boys!

Yes, I do have a lot of sand. I just poured the whole the bag in that they sold me. I wasn't really thinking and I had done no research. I'm wondering if that isn't contributing to my cyano problem. The thing on the left is a piece of branch sticking out from behind the big rock. It isn't actually touching the side. I still have to clean you know.

I can handle the feeding for the sun coral, but isn't that ambitious? They are so beautiful, but I thought they were difficult. I only have the standard lighting, although you say they actually like shade. I'll have to do some research.

Is this a dare?

alexmurovec
Hello Boys!

Yes, I do have a lot of sand. I just poured the whole the bag in that they sold me. I wasn't really thinking and I had done no research. I'm wondering if that isn't contributing to my cyano problem. The thing on the left is a piece of branch sticking out from behind the big rock. It isn't actually touching the side. I still have to clean you know.

I can handle the feeding for the sun coral, but isn't that ambitious? They are so beautiful, but I thought they were difficult. I only have the standard lighting, although you say they actually like shade. I'll have to do some research.

Is this a dare?

i think it is :lol:

firstimereefer

Sun corals do not rely on the sun for food, the need to be fed mysis and brine only. The actually prefer the shade and usually only come out at night. You can train them to start coming out during the day, but it takes time.

If you take the dare, do the research first. I was looking into getting a sun coral myself, but DANG they seem like a lot of work!

Feeding, chainging diapers, burping... Oh wait that is kids. Still feeding every night after the lights are out seems like more work than I am willing to put in. I have heard that they can be trained to eat before the lights are out, but that is also work.

Good luck with the sun coral, may it always shine bright in your tank

dsoz :)

firstimereefer

You only need to feed it every 3 days or so. I have been doing it for 3 monthes now with great success, I would say my colony has almost doubled since then.

If you do decide to get a Sun, definitely try to get onw ith only a few heads. That way there are less mouths to feed to begin with, and as it grows you can frag it and sell it. For money! Oh yeah...

firstimereefer

Megan, I read your post on fraggles thread, try using some of that cyano remover i metioned earlier in your thread. Also I use phosban in the third chamber of my tank and it works great, you just need a media bag and some polyfil to use it.

As for the sun coral. I will eventually give it a shot, but I am just barely on my feet. I'm not saying I'm not gonna do it, but I'm still working up to getting another fish, and I'm not doing that until I have several stable months.

The cyano is killing me. Are you talking about the Algone? I have looked for it and can't find it. Where do you get it? I'm all about trying it.

Archived