Pod Your Reef

24 gallon Atlantis

megan

SaltWaterNewb
Things seem to be going well, phosphates are down and I did a water change today with ocean water from the beach

Be VERY careful as water near the beach is usually pretty nasty and polluted even if it doesn't seem that way to us.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess that is some concern but a) where we live is all residential with VERY little tourism and B) I started doing it b/c Julian Sprung said he gets his from out his back door in Miami of all places, so after seeing him speak I started doing it.

I have done it about 8-10 times now with nothing but great results. If anything ever goes wrong, I sure will think of that as a possible cause, but for now, I really see only the benefits.

Has anyone else ever tried it? :huh:

Just a few updated pics...

All in all, it is not where I want it to be. I see so many other really impressive tanks, but I do love it!

post-26996-1206412005_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1206412026_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1206412042_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1206412062_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1206412077_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking about rescaping? What do you think? What is your favorite look???

I think I rescape more than anyone else on this board. haha... check out my tank and you can find at least 5 major different looks over 1 year, not counting the mini-in-between-dilemma aquascapes (>10).

Bad thing is that the livestock never really have a chance to florish since the environment is always resetting, nomadic lifestyle in the same place. lol

Good point is that you can clear off whatever junk (nitrate source) that had accumulated in those hard to reach areas.

I would say go for it. A protein skimmer really helps during aquascaping. Mine always go into hyper-drive and you won't believe the amount of skimmate it is pulling out.

My favorite look is open reef patterns with minimum rocks. It would look a lot like a Japanese zen garden. haha

lakshwadeep

My favorite look is 2 very steep "mountains" with one being very large and the other as a small pile opposite the "vast" sand bed. I like to imagine that the each rock grouping is like a miniaturized underwater island with "giant" corals and "monster" gobies.

My favorite look is 2 very steep "mountains" with one being very large and the other as a small pile opposite the "vast" sand bed. I like to imagine that the each rock grouping is like a miniaturized underwater island with "giant" corals and "monster" gobies.

I like that too. I see it an awful lot tho. I like all the sand in those arrangements and I always feel like this is very similar to the art of bonsai. I have too much rock and too many tiny frags. It all just looks too busy. I did rescape, not much tho. I kinda want a big change.

What kind of skimmer would you use on a 24 gal? I'm thinking of getting one. Is there something small that would be easy to conceal?

Just rescaped my whole set up inside and out and it was a lot like work but well worth it. I say go for it and post some pics :happy:

Good point is that you can clear off whatever junk (nitrate source) that had accumulated in those hard to reach areas.

I would say go for it. A protein skimmer really helps during aquascaping. Mine always go into hyper-drive and you won't believe the amount of skimmate it is pulling out.

So I did a major rescaping today. I looked for a used protein skimmer, but my lfs sold me a phosban reactor instead. I'm sure I kicked up a TON of crap today. Do you think this will help or have I just totally poisoned my system???

Oh yeah, I also splashed some water up to my HQI clip on and it cracked the glass. Is that a problem or just unsightly???

Last try...
make a new thread. some people won't re-check long threads because it's simply too much reading to catchup on or "get up to speed on".

just post those q's in a new thread, you'll likely get a lot mre 'hits' and replies.

waterchange the tank for the phosban thing (and test for your PO4 if they're some residual crap). return the reactor and never buy anything from that LFS again.

where's the crack on the HQI?

(again) i suggest you make a new thread. ;)

Probably need a skimmer more then the reactor. Take it back they sold you the wrong thing. As for the light get a replacement glass shield b/c if it breaks all the way you could end up with shards of glass all in your tank and it could splash your bulb and shatter it into a million pieces also going in your tank.

make a new thread. some people won't re-check long threads because it's simply too much reading to catchup on or "get up to speed on".

just post those q's in a new thread, you'll likely get a lot mre 'hits' and replies.

waterchange the tank for the phosban thing (and test for your PO4 if they're some residual crap). return the reactor and never buy anything from that LFS again.

where's the crack on the HQI?

(again) i suggest you make a new thread. ;)

Hey Tiny! Long time, no type. I guess what I don't get about the long thread thing is that you only have to read up a post or two to get the gist. I trust your advise, I wasn't trying to shirk it, I guess I just didn't understand the rationale. Maybe b/c I get confused by lots of threads with no history.

As I rescaped, I did a water change. You think I need another? I'll do whatever.

AND, I love my lfs. They actually gave me the reactor. At the very least, I think they THINK they are helping me. What is your suggestion? I totally stirred the sh!t up!

And SKYDIVE: Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. I will get right on it!!!

Hey Tiny! Long time, no type. I guess what I don't get about the long thread thing is that you only have to read up a post or two to get the gist. I trust your advise, I wasn't trying to shirk it, I guess I just didn't understand the rationale. Maybe b/c I get confused by lots of threads with no history.
well, most people (from what i've read of comments later on and discussions) avoid a longish thread that they don't have anything to do with unless they see someone they know post there. they don't know you've changed topics unless they've been following along. heck, i only posted because i "know" you. ;)

and here you've got me posting again to your longish thread. i don't normally like longish threads either to tell the truth. jct notwithstanding. :P

As I rescaped, I did a water change. You think I need another?
only if you've got a problem. it sounded like it from your previous post.

AND, I love my lfs. They actually gave me the reactor. At the very least, I think they THINK they are helping me. What is your suggestion? I totally stirred the sh!t up!
i thought they sold you the reactor AS a protein skimmer?!? :huh: at least that's how i read it to mean.

and if it was truly accidental then that's another issue. htf could they get that wrong? true, at least it wasn't intentional but incompetence is also a somewhat dangerous attribute. :unsure:

well, most people (from what i've read of comments later on and discussions) avoid a longish thread that they don't have anything to do with unless they see someone they know post there. they don't know you've changed topics unless they've been following along. heck, i only posted because i "know" you. ;)

and here you've got me posting again to your longish thread. i don't normally like longish threads either to tell the truth. jct notwithstanding. :P

only if you've got a problem. it sounded like it from your previous post.

i thought they sold you the reactor AS a protein skimmer?!? :huh: at least that's how i read it to mean.

and if it was truly accidental then that's another issue. htf could they get that wrong? true, at least it wasn't intentional but incompetence is also a somewhat dangerous attribute. :unsure:

Alright, alright. No more ??? in my thread. Please don't stop posting. I've missed you! :wub:

I had looked around craigslist for a skimmer. Not my lfs. I hadn't made that clear, I guess. When I went in, I just said that I was really struggling with phosphates and that I was super poor~! One guy asked me had I tried a reactor, and I told him no. Then the owner walked by and said here try this, on the house. Not knowing the whole conversation.

My water is super cloudy right now, but the water coming out of the reactor is like glass. I pulled everything out today and started over. We'll see how it looks in the a.m. :scarry:

• 1 month later...

Well it has been over a month and my tank is doing very well. I really like my new scape and after buying a small skimmer and continuing to use the phos ban reactor, my water is super clear with 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. My heater did die and so I have had a few days of floppy temps, but I think I have figured out how to get that stable without a new heater for now ( I have no $$$ for extras these days). I am still not seeing any real growth, but everything seems stable and open except my RDE's have shrunken very small. Oh yeah, I did lose a fish after rescaping, my solarensis went missing about 2 days after the dust settled. I have to say, I never really liked the little wierdo!

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

AND, Happy Mother's Day!!!

:flower:

• 1 month later...

No, I've just abandoned this one pretty much! :P Mostly I'm just sick of sh!ty photos and not really thrilled with the progress of my tank. I'll post some new ones soon, but right now I'm just kinda bummed with some recent losses and water issues. :angry:

Archived