Pod Your Reef

Another Dead Clam thread - hitchker crab maybe?

andrewkw

I can't believe my baby maxima is dead I got this guy real tiny. It was about 2.5 maybe 3" I've had it for a long time, its been growing slow but always opened up and seemed to be in great health. In total I had it in 2 different tanks for about a year.

The clam itself has been hallowed out, the foot is still attached to the shell but its fallen about an inch to an inch and a half.

Lately I have been finding crazy hichhiker crabs. I had a couple of gaudy clown crabs which obviously weren't the problem. I also have seen a couple of hairy evil crabs.

crabdemon.jpg

the best i could do for pics. I'm having an even harder time catching it. I've also seen a larger crab with purple claws. Not sure if he's hairy but i'm guessing evil as well.

The only fish I have that might be a problem is my foxface. Other then that wrasses, clowns, anthias nothing known for picking at clams.

anyone got any other ideas? Theres nothing new in my tank other then corals so I really think its the crabs.

most probably. i can't believe you placed a baby clam knowing you have hitchhiker crabs :P

the clam has been in the tank long before the hichiker crabs have been. At least I think so. I've had the clam for more then a year and only noticed the crabs maybe 2 weeks ago.

SeeDemTails

I have a gigas that got tore up by something, pretty bad too, It has healed completely in a couple weeks.

Sorry about your loss, lose the crabs for sure.

Archived